Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 17:21   #1

Boat: Lightwave 45
Australia to Tonga

Hi all

For various reasons I will be delayed in leaving Australia in 2020 for a South Pacific run. Earliest departure would be end April.

I would ideally like to start in Tonga but would prefer not to cross the Tasman in Autumn so Australia - NZ - Tonga is not preferred.

Has anybody experienced passaging Australia to Tonga direct in May. I have done Australia - New Cal in May previously and was quite pleasant. Simplistically it looks to me, like double the trip in similar conditions.

If you have done it did you stop in New Cal on the way?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 17:47   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Australia to Tonga

Where in Oz are you leaving from?
If say Sydney then Lord Howe and/or Norfolk Island is another option for stop overs.
And of course both Minerva Reefs are fantastic.
Old 15-01-2020, 17:56   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45

Brisbane preferably.

I would like to visit Minerva before arriving at Tonga, but I am wondering whether I am pushing my luck against the trades. That is why I am asking for advice from anyone who has done this previously.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 18:55   #4

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Of course North Minerva is almost exactly on the rhumb line Sydney to Tonga so stopping there is really no hardship but please try not to be too disappointed. I sailed past on my last trip to Fiji due to weather considerations but friends stopped there for a break in a challenging crossing. They found lots of dead coral, not a whole lot of fish, none of the legendary giant crayfish and lots of sharks. They left again the next day.

Maybe the last year has seen positive change so good luck if you do decide to stop there.

South Minerva has been reported as better but not an easy entry.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 19:13   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Of course North Minerva is almost exactly on the rhumb line Sydney to Tonga so stopping there is really no hardship but please try not to be too disappointed. I sailed past on my last trip to Fiji due to weather considerations but friends stopped there for a break in a challenging crossing. They found lots of dead coral, not a whole lot of fish, none of the legendary giant crayfish and lots of sharks. They left again the next day.

Maybe the last year has seen positive change so good luck if you do decide to stop there.

South Minerva has been reported as better but not an easy entry.

I may be dumb in replying but S Minerva is not a difficult entry and is perfectly charted on NZ and Navionics charts. There is a reef in the entry passage but there is plenty of space to the S. The lagoon is mostly clear. Coral is regenerating and is looking good in parts. Lots of fish and sharks. A few rays. Didn’t look for nor see crays. On our return from Tonga we passed N Minerva with about 20 boats and entered S Minerva with no boats. Lovely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	207015

Regarding the passage, it’s going to be a long upwind bash. Even from NZ it is usually upwind, so same and more so from AUS. Or wait for a deep low to provide S quadrant winds, but of course at that time of year it may be more wind than you really want.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 16:40   #6

I'd suggest a better option for stop off from Brisbane is Conway Reef. Good access, gorgeous place. A recent trip where friends stopped:
From Wikipedia: Conway Reef is a coral atoll 450 km southwest of the Fiji Islands and part of the Republic of Fiji. It is at 21°44′18″S 174°38′24″E. It is 2.5 km long in an east-west direction. On the middle of the reef is a small sand cay, 1.8 meters high and about 320 metres long and 75 metres wide, with a land area of two hectares. There is an old wreck beached there.

Whilst the cay itself is very dull, diving within the reef is fantastic. Pristine, stunning, clear water, filled with life, astonishing coral. Almost no one goes there, and even when they do, they never stay long.

Also not far from Conway are Hunter and Matthew Islands. Whilst not easily accessible they are interesting sail bys.
Old 18-01-2020, 11:09   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I'd suggest a better option for stop off from Brisbane is Conway Reef. Good access, gorgeous place. A recent trip where friends stopped:

From Wikipedia: Conway Reef is a coral atoll 450 km southwest of the Fiji Islands and part of the Republic of Fiji. It is at 21°44′18″S 174°38′24″E. It is 2.5 km long in an east-west direction. On the middle of the reef is a small sand cay, 1.8 meters high and about 320 metres long and 75 metres wide, with a land area of two hectares. There is an old wreck beached there.

Whilst the cay itself is very dull, diving within the reef is fantastic. Pristine, stunning, clear water, filled with life, astonishing coral. Almost no one goes there, and even when they do, they never stay long.

Also not far from Conway are Hunter and Matthew Islands. Whilst not easily accessible they are interesting sail bys.

My charts show Conway as a Ceva-i-Ra, is that right? No detail on the chart and satellite views show empty ocean. Is there a fringing reef you can anchor off of? Or can you enter a lagoon? I expect for very settled weather only. Please provide more information.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 12:48   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Okay ~1800 n. mi. almost due east into the trades.

Mate, go via NZ. It is an easier trip to Tonga. But if you want to go from Brisbane, try to leave on a NNW and get all the easting in that you can, as it goes through the South. Leaving from Southport might help. And once you get clear of the sea mounts and are sure there are no hazards around, and everyone has their sea legs, see how often you want to tack. Once mal de mer isn't a problem, it will just be a long trip to windward, and shortened sail to slow the boat makes the progress only slightly slower but a lot more comfortable. Don't take your significant other unless they are a keen sailor.

If you like, you could try a weather router, it might be worth it.

Ann
Old 19-01-2020, 10:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
My charts show Conway as a Ceva-i-Ra, is that right? No detail on the chart and satellite views show empty ocean. Is there a fringing reef you can anchor off of? Or can you enter a lagoon? I expect for very settled weather only. Please provide more information.
The Fijian name for Conway is Ceva-i-Ra or sometimes Theva-i-Ra.

There is a fringing reef completely surrounding the cay. There are reasonable anchorages at the western side and also the north of the reef. These are in 20-25 mtrs, good holding. But I would not leave the boat unattended as in reality she will be the open ocean and if things turned pear shaped there isn't even water on the cay. The weather side is the western.

There is no entry through the reef and even in the dinghy, avoiding coral heads requires a slow trip and a good look out.

It's a bit like South Minerva, only try to make landfall if conditions are perfect.
Old 20-01-2020, 07:12   #10

Give New Caladonia a miss. It was the most ridiculously expensive of all of our stops across the South Pacific.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 12:20   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Give New Caladonia a miss. It was the most ridiculously expensive of all of our stops across the South Pacific.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
Everybody's different. I'm quite fond of New Caledonia. The windward side has streams that flow down the hills with pools to bathe in. The leeward side is drier, but lovely views looking inland. Beautiful sailing in protected waters. There are historical places to visit.

It is true some things are very expensive; however if they are for a yacht in transit, there is a way to get them duty free--it requires gaining permission in advance.

For me, the downside is the ciguatera in the fish that is a real consideration, but in the main, I like the place. Plus the sail from there to Oz is usually a pleasant trip.

Ann
Old 20-01-2020, 13:20   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Norfolk was mentioned. Beautiful place, wonderful people. Great restful holiday location.

But there no harbor. I was there in April and it was roaring. Do research before heading to Norfolk.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Tonga