Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2019, 19:46   #1

Vancouver marine salvage yards

Hello guys and girls. I’m brand new to this forum. And have been looking around for a steel cruiser monohull project in the Vancouver bc area for a while now. I’ve come a cross a 39ft folks that’s missing it’s entire rig after a bridge miscalculation... I’m wondering if anyone could give me some direction or alternatives regarding a couple of things.

1) possible suitable and easily sourced used transplant mast/rigging options. I don’t have a ton of funds but earn a decent living. I have access to welding equipment and have a few good fabricator buddies for the tricky bits like masthead mods and mast step mods I’m prepared to spend a season or two refitting the prospect boat on the hard.I am also aware of the enormity of this project. I’m happy to do it in stages as funds become available.

2) where should I look for used rigs eg (salvage yards in my area or abroad.) and how would I get it to the marina from there?

Oh also my preference is for a cutter rig or something easy to reduce sail short handed. Plan to use the boat for extended offshore passages ultimately.

Would love to get away with $10000-15000 spent on rig parts and materials. Excuse my ignorance if that is impossible.
Any help appreciated.
Sheethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 20:06   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Vancouver marine salvage yards

The mast you want I see is advertised on Portland Craigslist for a $1000. Sure its bound to need some modification and new stainless steel rigging but I am sure you can get out of it for less than $15,000.
Not sure of the logistics but maybe you can motor to Hayden Island and pick it up?
Cheers
Where is GordMay?
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 20:26   #3

Found it! Thank you. That’s the kind of thing I’d be looking for. I plan to replace all standing rigging as you suggested anyway so I’d be able to trust what’s what.
Once installed would having sails tailored to the mast and rig be advised? Or is there common suitable donors for those to? I plan to keep it for the long term if that changes anything.
Old 19-11-2019, 22:05   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

New sails are nice but there are plenty of used sails advertised on Craigslist. Sails are easy to ship so their location is not a big deal. I started with old sails and have been slowly replacing them with new ones.
I found you a Facnor Furler for a 40 footer for $450 on Seattle Craigslist as well.
It would be cool if you could fix that mast up then motor your yacht around and get it put in place?
Cheers
Come on GordMay, where is your greeting?
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 23:05   #5

Great this has given me an idea of what’s out there if I venture into the USA. It would be great if I could motor from Vancouver Canada to Portland without a secondary propulsion etc. I wouldn’t trust a motor I’m unfamiliar with for that journey though.
I was speaking with a welder friend and he suggested cutting it in half and trailering it home to then be sleeved back together at a later date. I’ll check that against having it trucked over here. Or finding something close to my prospective boatyard. Still just spitballing for ideas right now but thank you for setting me on the right path.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:53   #6

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Wander around Shelter Island and Captain's Cove. I bet there are some abandoned rigs lying around that they'll be happy to get rid of.

DON’T try motoring tp Portland without a mast. It would be uncomfortable to the point of being dangerous.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:57   #7

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

I know I'm late to the party, but this place has a TON of masts. https://sailboatwreckingyard.com/

They are also reasonably close to Vancouver, BC, being just across the US Border. You could call him up. The guy is a bit of a... character... was a used car salesman before he started this line of work, and he gets most of his boats free from marinas that hauled and impounded or salvaged the boats or they were abandoned. Many of the boats he gets he literally just rips apart for the bits, and sells the lead in the keels.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:57   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Last time I was in Shelter Island (about a year ago) there was an area with many, many masts. Whether they belonged to boats or not I don't know. But it's certainly worth a phone call. Good luck!
Old 20-11-2019, 09:17   #9

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

Definitely give Sailboat Wreaking yard in Lynden Wa. a call.
Lots of great stuff.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:36   #10

Boat: 32 feet of love

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
Definitely give Sailboat Wreaking yard in Lynden Wa. a call.
Lots of great stuff.
I third this recommendation, I picked up a rudder from him a few years ago. just watch out for prices, the dude literally was a used car salesman and you can tell in his sales manner - otherwise nice fellow and he knows what he has and what he may have coming up. definitely drop him a line and let him know what you are looking for.
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 10:04   #11

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Lynden yard

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...002412746.html
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:56   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Lots of masts on eBay.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 15:20   #13

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

If you are likely to be short handed, stick with a sloop rig. Compared with a cutter rig, it's less running rigging than a cutter, one less sail to repair/replace, generally easier to balance with a self-steer wind vane, and when it comes to anchoring, that bowsprit on a cutter rig is often times a pain to deal with due to: the limited space to drop and pull the anchor between the whisker stays and bobstay for the bowsprit; when the bow wants to wander while at anchor, chaffing of the anchor rode on the stays requires keeping something like a pvc tube around the bobstay; when the wind pipes up, anchor rodes should not ride off of the bowsprit because they transfer much of the load on & off to the forward stay & aft stay mast tangs and the deck/hull attachments need to be built to take the strain of an anchor rode, this requiring transferring on & off of a bridle with anti-chafe and secured to deck bits & extra sturdy cleats. Cutters are romantically pretty and all, but add additional work and wear. I know, because I own one.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 22:18   #14

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Wander around Shelter Island and Captain's Cove. I bet there are some abandoned rigs lying around that they'll be happy to get rid of.

DON’T try motoring tp Portland without a mast. It would be uncomfortable to the point of being dangerous.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
For transport of mast Soniq trucking 1-877-337-6647 .i have used these folks for years and large .motoring down the coast is not for the uninitiated.
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, salvage, vancouver