Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 04:53   #46

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Tom, If you don't want a project, this was a wise move. We are restoring a Columbia 50, in our backyard and are in year 2 of what will be a 5 year job. Once done everything will be pretty much a new boat, but losing 5 years of sailing it is a bittersweet thing. The time spent on it keeps extending, and the costs involved are a fluid thing, luckily we can afford the parts so far. I will have well over what it is worth on the market once it is done including what very little I paid for it. All said, I do enjoy working on it, and spend as much time as I can but still I would have bought a great condition one looking back. It will be great once done, but getting there is a long row to hoe.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:47   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you ARE on the right track chasing a boat of your dreams.

Look at it this way: the engine is, ultimately, a diesel mechanic job - go get a quote for a complete haul-out or a new installation; the mast and rigging are ultimately a rigger's job - go get a quote for a complete mast unstepping/fitting and replacement of all old standing rigging and adjacent hardware; the sails are ultimately ...

By now you are getting my drift.

Price all the jobs that you will have to outsource. Then judge if you are willing to devote the time - waiting while the pros do their job and doing your part meanwhile. When you are fixing her up, you are not sailing.

If not, pay thru the nose, get one that is more expensive perhaps while requiring less time at the dock prior to DEPARTURE.

We got our boat in the fall and she just sat there thru the winter. We came to her in May, worked for two months onboard and went sailing in July. Boat 26'. (Getting ready) a 38' of a boat should be doable for two people in say 6 months. If not, she is TOO abandoned. Get another, better maintained, sample of the same design.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:58   #48

Boat: Mirage 35

You have probably seen this, but I just copied this from Yachtworld. It seems this Cabo Rico 38 has had the right things done to it to make it a worthy candidate to buy and actually sail rather than sit in the yard for 5 years while being refit. Whatever you buy, count on spending another 25-35% on it to make it 'yours' so buy wisely. Here is part of the ad:

"Great Value - Full Refit
Year:
Length:
38'
Engine/Fuel Type:
/

Located In:
Annapolis, MD
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
4344-3246671

Current Price:
US$ 69,000 (Can$ 90,825)
PRICED TO SELL!!!

The Cabo Rico 38 (CR38) remains one of the most desirable blue water cruisers ever made. A Bill Crealock design, it tracks like a locomotive, is very sea kindly and offers exceptional comfort and elegance below. I should know since I owned one of these lovely yachts for 5 years and sailed mine to Bermuda and back.

Charlene has been refit in all the right places!

HULL - Bottom Peeled, Vinylestered, Barrier Coated, Painted
DECKS - Old Teak Decks and Core removed. Coosa board core installed. New decks laid and painted.
ENGINE - Repowered with Yanmar 4JH2E 51HP
SAILS & RIGGING - All in excellent condition
CANVAS - Dodger, New Bimini, Hatch Covers
ALL EXTERIOR TEAK REVARNISHED

Contact Dale Davis at 703-395-7649 or Dale@integrityyachtsales.com

Good luck.
swellskimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:04   #49

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Tom, If you don't want a project, this was a wise move. We are restoring a Columbia 50, in our backyard and are in year 2 of what will be a 5 year job. Once done everything will be pretty much a new boat, but losing 5 years of sailing it is a bittersweet thing. The time spent on it keeps extending, and the costs involved are a fluid thing, luckily we can afford the parts so far. I will have well over what it is worth on the market once it is done including what very little I paid for it. All said, I do enjoy working on it, and spend as much time as I can but still I would have bought a great condition one looking back. It will be great once done, but getting there is a long row to hoe.
I couldn't agree more! I enjoy the work. This is hard for some to understand. But, when I complete my refit I will have peace of mind that all is well. I won't be worrying about the integrity of the stern tube or through hulls or the fuel tanks, the rudder, etc. I will have replaced, reworked, or in some cases redesigned it (exhaust system) all.

I will have spent way more time and money then I could imagine and missed way to much sailing. BUT, I hope my reward is a boat I know very well and trust to not let me down at a bad time (is there ever a good time?) and hopefully, very low maintenance for a few years. So when I go I can make up for the missed sailing.

However, if I had it to do all over again I would find a boat that needed more replacing than repairing!
cheers
Jim
Old 17-04-2019, 15:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUFFEY View Post
I owned a 1982 Cabo Rico 38 for seven years and loved that boat. Solid as a rock, sails like a dream, perfect cruising boat for a couple.

Any Cabo Rico 38 is going to be old and will have issues expected in a 20 to 30 year old machine floating in salt water. I agree with the above comments re teak decks. Mine were a never ending cosmetic issue but they never leaked. I will never own another boat with teak decks.

Another problem with old Cabo Rico's is osmotic blisters on the hull. I did a full bottom peel and recoat but if I had it to do over I would have left them alone, saved the money and effort and just enjoyed the boat.

My boat had the original Perkins engine. It ran great and was easy to work on.

Miss my Cabo to this day and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Just curious on where and what you paid for the bottom peel? I have just purchased a CR 38, 1988 hull #123. She has some blisters in the rutter that are about the size of a quarter and a few dense areas on the hull. The surveyor called them "barrier coat bubbles and a few cosmetic blisters" The yard claimed that there were thousands of tiny bubbles on the hull, but since im away from the boat i cant see how true that is.. Trying to see if it would be worth it to peel or just treat the spots on next years haul out. Or if just getting the hull down to the gel quote with a soda blast would suffice...

Also, have the original Westerbeke 46 with 3,700 hours on it. Have about 30k to spend on refitting before we send off for a couple of years... Weighing the options and the budget. Obviously the less we spend the more time we get to cruise

Thanks for the insight!

Cheers,
Brandon
bgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:52   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Only on older models. Ours (1987 plan B like the above) came with two layers of vinyl ester resin infused fiberglass and we have never had a blister.
We just purchased a 1988, but it has a few blisters. Hoping when we take it down to the gel coat it is something we can fix without a peel. Curious if ours has the vinyl ester or not...
Old 19-04-2019, 17:51   #52

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Just curious on where and what you paid for the bottom peel? I have just purchased a CR 38, 1988 hull #123. She has some blisters in the rutter that are about the size of a quarter and a few dense areas on the hull. The surveyor called them "barrier coat bubbles and a few cosmetic blisters" The yard claimed that there were thousands of tiny bubbles on the hull, but since im away from the boat i cant see how true that is.. Trying to see if it would be worth it to peel or just treat the spots on next years haul out. Or if just getting the hull down to the gel quote with a soda blast would suffice...

Also, have the original Westerbeke 46 with 3,700 hours on it. Have about 30k to spend on refitting before we send off for a couple of years... Weighing the options and the budget. Obviously the less we spend the more time we get to cruise

Thanks for the insight!

Cheers,

Brandon

Do not peel that hull!

I really doubt those are osmotic blisters. I have 117 and after about 75 they started using vinylester resin on the outside of the hull for the layup then of course the gelcoat. I have a copy of our layup schedule if you are interested. I have never seen a Cabo Rico with blisters but I’ve heard the early ones might have had some.

There are other types of blisters that are not due to osmotic blistering, such as problems due to paint application mistakes, which it sounds like your surveyor identified.

A good soda blast and a final sanding down to the gelcoat followed by an correct application of barrier coat and paint should take care of the problem.

I just replaced by westerbeke 46 and I have every imaginable new replacement part in their original packaging for sale if you are interested.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 01:09   #53

Quote:
Do not peel that hull!

I really doubt those are osmotic blisters. I have 117 and after about 75 they started using vinylester resin on the outside of the hull for the layup then of course the gelcoat. I have a copy of our layup schedule if you are interested. I have never seen a Cabo Rico with blisters but I’ve heard the early ones might have had some.

There are other types of blisters that are not due to osmotic blistering, such as problems due to paint application mistakes, which it sounds like your surveyor identified.

A good soda blast and a final sanding down to the gelcoat followed by an correct application of barrier coat and paint should take care of the problem.

I just replaced by westerbeke 46 and I have every imaginable new replacement part in their original packaging for sale if you are interested.
Hey, thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a little better about the bottom. I'll attach the only picture i have to show you what im talking about. You may have to zoom in a bit. There are also two a few spots on the hull that look like this.

The Westerbeke is in really good condition from what ive seen and what the survey said. The vessel itself has been very well maintained. I had the engine surveyed separately and an oil analysis done on it. Everything came back relatively normal. Slightly high in chome and iron, but it may be done to having older oil. The PO has a lot of extra parts, so when I get down to the boat in June and inventory that I may take you up on that offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 4.24.10 AM.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	190381  
Old 20-04-2019, 03:28   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Lots of good info/help..

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/caborico

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
s/v Tango
CR 34

Green Turtle Cay, Abacos
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 22:07   #55

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a little better about the bottom. I'll attach the only picture i have to show you what im talking about. You may have to zoom in a bit. There are also two a few spots on the hull that look like this.

The Westerbeke is in really good condition from what ive seen and what the survey said. The vessel itself has been very well maintained. I had the engine surveyed separately and an oil analysis done on it. Everything came back relatively normal. Slightly high in chome and iron, but it may be done to having older oil. The PO has a lot of extra parts, so when I get down to the boat in June and inventory that I may take you up on that offer.

Now the one thing I would do, only because I just did it and I’m glad I did, is get a new rudder shoe. It’s the first thing I’ve had custom made. The old one was definitely pitted and the bolts holding it on were half gone. 33 years isn’t a bad run for stainless underwater. I replaced it with 316L but after more research I think I would have chosen super duplex stainless instead.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:54   #56

Quote:
Now the one thing I would do, only because I just did it and I’m glad I did, is get a new rudder shoe. It’s the first thing I’ve had custom made. The old one was definitely pitted and the bolts holding it on were half gone. 33 years isn’t a bad run for stainless underwater. I replaced it with 316L but after more research I think I would have chosen super duplex stainless instead.
Yea i was planning on at least pulling the bolts to see if they are still intact. Ill explore replacing the shoe with next years haul out if the bolts look okay. Thanks for the tip!
Old 15-05-2019, 04:23   #57

Quote:
Do not peel that hull!

I would love a copy of that layup schedule if you have it laying around. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:35   #58

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
I would love a copy of that layup schedule if you have it laying around. Thanks for the info!

bgall
Look on the Cabo Rico Facebook page in the files section and you will find the schedule and a lot more information you might want.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/709136512435038/

Jim
Old 03-07-2019, 09:35   #59

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

The Cabo Rico 38 is a great boat. If you like the boat and it will make you happy then buy it. Don't focus on the money. Get the engine rebuilt and do the wiring and plumbing yourself. Clean it up and go cursing. The advantage of this approach is that when you are finished, you will intimately know your boat and its capabilities. This knowledge will serve you well when cursing.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:47   #60

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I agree with SA, in that the more I work on my boat, the better I am at cursing!!!

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico