Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 07:17   #1
MD7

Licencing and Certificates Charter Yacht Captain

I'm sure this subject has been touched somewhere on the forum but I'm still hoping to get a clear answer for my question(s).

My father recently bought a boat registered, just like us, in Belgium.
I'm ready for a new challenge so I'm thinking to charter it in the MED during summer and in the Caribbean during winter. This would of course mean crossing the Atlantic both ways.
I have a ton of sailing experience (both coastal and offshore) and currently hold an ICC, Marine VHF licence, First Aid, .. however no yacht master.

My questions are:
-What licence/certificate do I need to be allowed to captain this boat in the MED during charters?
-What do I need to be allowed to cross the Atlantic Ocean
-Wat do I need to charter the boat in the Carribean?

Whoever can help me out, beers on me next time we bump into each other!

Thanks
MD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 07:39   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Licencing and Certificates Charter Yacht Captain

The sailing part is easy....the big hassle is doing business in a foreign country (been, there done that). The answer varies quite a lot from one country to the next...and the answer is very arduous in many countries. The "Med" and "Caribbean" are not sufficient to establish venue. To answer your question in detail you must specify a country. FYI: you cant legally just pop into a country and start running charters.

Your citizenship and the country of build and regstration of the vessel affect the answer signficantly too.

Got answers to all the above?

Do you want to do day sails or extended charters (~3 - 10 days)?

Once you have jumped thru all of those hoops, then be aware that chartering is hard work. If you run charters in a popular venue then it is common to run back to back charters with 24 hour turn around during peak season....do about half a dozen back to backs and you will likely be ready to quit the charter biz....many do.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 07:45   #3
MD7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The sailing part is easy....the big hassle is doing business in a foreign country (been, there done that). The answer varies quite a lot from one country to the next...and the answer is very arduous in many countries. The "Med" and "Caribbean" are not sufficient to establish venue. To answer your question in detail you must specify a country. FYI: you cant legally just pop into a country and start running charters.

Your citizenship and the country of build and regstration of the vessel affect the answer signficantly too.

Got answers to all the above?

Do you want to do day sails or extended charters (~3 - 10 days)?

Once you have jumped thru all of those hoops, then be aware that chartering is hard work. If you run charters in a popular venue then it is common to run back to back charters with 24 hour turn around during peak season....do about half a dozen back to backs and you will likely be ready to quit the charter biz....many do.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's probably going to be GREECE as we fell in love with the beauty and hospitality. I've never been to the Caribbean so can't really answer to that question now.
Charters would be for extended periods, at least a week.
As stated before, I'm a Belgian resident and the boat was built in France in 2017.
I understand you can't just pop into a country and start running charters but as far as I know, the boat itself is Belgian territory right?
Also, I assume the VAT on the rental should be paid to the local authority, how does that work?

Thanks again for the response!
MD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 10:50   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD7 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

It's probably going to be GREECE as we fell in love with the beauty and hospitality. I've never been to the Caribbean so can't really answer to that question now.

Charters would be for extended periods, at least a week.

As stated before, I'm a Belgian resident and the boat was built in France in 2017.

I understand you can't just pop into a country and start running charters but as far as I know, the boat itself is Belgian territory right?

Also, I assume the VAT on the rental should be paid to the local authority, how does that work?

Thanks again for the response!
I dont know how it works in the EU. Presumably the fact that you and the boat are EU based and you plan to do biz in the EU makes it easier, but I dont know in practice. There are however, many members here who are EU based/experienced. Hopefully they will post.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:54   #5

Regulations, licensing and taxes are country specific. Determine which market's you wish to service and investigate.

Info on Greece:

https://yachtregistrationsgreece.com...greek-charter/

https://www.onboardonline.com/supery...arter-vessels/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 22:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

If you already have a merchant marine or commercial master's license issued by a regulatory agency of a major country (IMO member) there are venues in the world (like the BVI) who might issue you, based on the license you hold, an "equivalency license" or certification for charter operations in that country or territory. Otherwise you most likely would have produce certified records of your sea time and complete lengthy licensing courses to qualify. In any event, one requirement would almost certainly be the ability to communicate in the local language.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 01:05   #7

A License is required to charter your boat in both the Med and Caribbean. No issues with crossing the Atlantic
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 02:08   #8

How big is the vessel and how many passengers will be aboard?
Depending on type and size of charter undertaken, the vessel will need a certificate of inspection or survey, insurance, appropriate masters certificate and possibly a qualified crew member.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, charter, enc, yacht