Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 01:38   #1

Fountaine pajot salina 48

Hi guys
Looking for feedback or your thoughts on a Salina 48 around 2008/2010 ish.
All comments are welcome good and bad.
I know the orana model of the same sort of vintage had osmosis issues, was this the same for the Salina model?
Thanks in advance.
John marven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Fountaine pajot salina 48

I don' remember any Salina suffering from osmosis. We treated a lot of Orana's, Lipari's, few Mahe's but no Salina.They sail pretty well, slightly better than than Orana' , maybe parity ro Helia's.

It' a solid and good boat but doesn't excel in any attribute that an average buyer would look for..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 13:45   #3

Hi yeloya
Thanks for the reply. We are definitely looking for space and solid build over speed and looks like there would be heaps of space inside and and out. We are a family of five that will be doing the med then across to the Bahamas. Not in any rush.
Budget of around $400000 au. For the boat plus $50000 for upgrades. Found a few in Europe for around 450000 but there’s always room for negotiations
Old 26-11-2019, 18:20   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

We chartered a Salina 48 in the Bahamas years ago and thought it worked pretty well for what it was. The only weird thing about it is that platform hanging off the back that serves as davits for the dingy. It was an "innovation" that clearly disappeared after this model. It wasn't horrible - just annoying when working the dingy.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 18:31   #5

Hi. Thanks for your input sfer

Was it annoying because you couldn’t see what you was doing? Was it good as a bathing platform fishing platform or think it would be better without it altogether. Has all salinas got the platform or was it only a certain year??
Has anyone else got anything they can add in regards to a 48 Salina. Was it spacious? Much bridge slap? Any info good or bad would be positively received

Thanks in advance.
Old 26-11-2019, 19:08   #6

John, for us, we didn't use the platform for anything and I remember wondering if there was a way to do away with it, but it's integral to the structure, I believe. I don't know if they all had them, but I think they did.

In any event, it wasn't a big deal. You just couldn't see much of the dingy when it was raised and had to reach under to get to the blocks. I guess in theory it covers the dingy to keep water and sun out, but I haven't seen it copied anywhere else and certainly FP never continued with it. Overall, though, as I mentioned, not a big deal. Seems that there are good deals on them out there, especially after the Saba came out.
Old 27-11-2019, 05:42   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

The platform is a no go for us. Great for sunbathing I guess, but it puts the dinghy very low when in seas. My first reaction was to put the dinghy on top, but then there’s no visibility. Not sure what the structure weighs but I’m sure a pair of davits could be done lighter. Just our $.02 worth...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 19:12   #8

I will add that it was fun to jump off that platform and into the water - kind of a diving platform off the stern. As for the height of the dingy, I don't remember, but that's easily confirmed with a measurement. Hanging out on the platform never made sense to us. There were other areas of the cat that were more comfortable.
Old 28-11-2019, 19:26   #9

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. Platform aside what were your thoughts on space, comfort, performance etc. ?
Old 28-11-2019, 20:54   #10
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by John marven View Post
Hi yeloya
Thanks for the reply. We are definitely looking for space and solid build over speed and looks like there would be heaps of space inside and and out. We are a family of five that will be doing the med then across to the Bahamas. Not in any rush.
Budget of around $400000 au. For the boat plus $50000 for upgrades. Found a few in Europe for around 450000 but there’s always room for negotiations

Was that Australian $ (au) or US$? If Australian I think you will really struggle. I looked at a lot of Cats in Europe in that rough price range in Au$ - mainly out of charter and they varied from Train Wreck to heavily used and certainly for all, $50k AU would be nowhere near enough to bring up to scratch.

If US$ then all should be good
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 18:09   #11

Boat: FOUNTAINE PAJOT, SALINA, 48

We chartered our boat, 48 Salina several times prior to buying. We also had sailed several other sizes and different Cats prior to deciding upon the Salina. We went in full knowing what we would like to change...#1...the platform on the back!! We are in drydock now and had a stainless structure built for the solar panels and the dinghy. We will be removing the platform soon and repairing the cut...The dinghy does not seem to get high enough being under the platform and it drags in the ocean. Slapping against the back of the boat. NOT good!! #2...we decided a washing machine is a very nice addition. We are doing all this while we await our New Volvo engines and sail drives to come in. Not that they did not run, they did, we sold them and purchased new ones as when we purchased the boat, we had no idea how many hours were on them...and how they were maintained. We wish to be worry free for years to come in that respect. Along with other upgrades and changes that we are making...and a lot of questions to ask about where to get FRENCH parts for this boat in the USA!! I wish I could figure out how to add pictures on here.
SVCATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 18:21   #12

Figuring out how to add pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy structure pic.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	207743   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_120356.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	207744  

Old 29-01-2020, 09:23   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin

Sold a number of them and sailed on a few, 2005 to 2009 were not very good years for Fountaine Pajot , Passage to Infusion and injection let a lot to worry about structure , Boats were soft , On the Salina one of the main issue was the size of the main bulkhead under the mast , It was floating mostly so the boats flexed a lot with rigging tension and sea motion, Which generated a lot of cracks also in the countermold , ( by the cabin step mostly )

Also issues with the gluing and positionning of the roof and the gluing of the windows , Boats got better at the end of the production
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 09:07   #14

Thank you for your input...Our boat is a 2011. We pray we never have those problems...
Old 30-01-2020, 12:15   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin

Hello ; Do not need prayers here
Take the ceiling off in the saloon and look at the frame/ bulkhead supporting the mast ; It should go across and be connected to the hulls ; If it is floating its not good ; But I guess if you had the boat for 8 years it will have shown by now
Fair winds
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot