Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 19:21   #1

Working While Cruising?

I am planning on finally starting my journey of travelling the world and will be starting in the Caribbean. I have saved enough money to hopefully last me a few years if nothing to drastic happens to my boat but if it does I’ll need money. Is working for a year and travelling the next in the Caribbean viable? Is it possible to get a job at a marina? Or is it just freelance work? By the way I was an electrician. If it’s more freelance and just do work for other sailers, how do I get the job? Do I go around asking if someone needs work on their boat? Or do I ask the marina if anyone needs help and they will direct me to them? This might sound silly but I’m wondering how I’ll be able to make money, do I just go around asking or go to the marina and they will redirect me?
UserNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 19:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Working While Cruising?

Most cruisers I know will sail during the season then return home to work or visit family during hurricane season. Work six months then sail six months, keeps the cruising kitty full and let's current investments grow. Being that you have a job you could easily go back to it's a pretty manageable lifestyle.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 19:36   #3

But if I where to not return to Canada and stay permanently in the Caribbean?
UserNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 20:17   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

You will still need a hurricane hole during hurricane season. You will probably find some work but at reduced wages. You have electrical knowledge but you don't know anything about marine electronics which is what you'll need.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, UserNam.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26   #6

Lots of cruisers are more into DIY, so that limits opportunities. Also there is generally a community idea of helping each other out,further limiting for pay options.

Bigger issue is getting a work permit from the various countries. They have plenty of locals who can work the gas dock and likely they will be happy with 1/10th of what you would expect. You would need to establish yourself as a critical skill they want to bring in because locals can't do the job.

Can you find under the table illegal work? Yes, but it likely will be under paid and you will be at risk of an official finding out. At that point, things can turn ugly...including locking up your boat until you pay any fines.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 13:09   #7

You cannot legally work in the Caribbean countries. Locals don't take lightly to people coming in illegally working as they perceive you as taking their jobs. It's hard to fly under the radar for any length of time, and it's hard to build up a customer base in a short period of time.

Your best bet is to periodically go back home, or work remotely for a Canadian company.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:09   #8
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Hello UserNam,

welcome to the forum!

Let me get my perspective on the topic. I think there are generally different types of income for cruisers:

Sabbatical cruisers
People who have been working at home, saving money and then go cruising for a limited period of time. Some go for a couple of month, some for a couple of years. When the money is getting low they go back home and go back to work some more. For some its a once in a lifetime adventure, some repeat that year after year as LLCoolDave mentioned.

Retired cruisers
These are cruisers who have a steady income from back home that doesn't need constant work. This could be a classic retirement or an investment such as rental property, stocks, etc.

Cruisers who work remote
These would be cruisers who live and work from their boat for companies or individuals in another country. Usually via Internet. This could be software developer, engineers, coaches, advisors, teachers, etc.

Cruisers who work locally
These would be cruisers who seek work locally. Often in a boat / tourist related business such as boat mechanics, charter operator, dive instructor, cruise ship tour organizer etc.
Some of my previous posters said that is not possible in the Caribbean islands but I think this a too general of a statement.
You need to differentiated which island, what work and what nationality you are. I have friends who work on the French islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe as welders, mechanics for charter business etc. I know of Americans who work in St. Martin in the tourist industry. I know of English people who work in Grenada as boat brokers. All legal.

Cheers Patrick
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:11   #9

Boat: Fraser 41

Hi there,
I just finished a 9 year circumnavigation. Got back home to Vancouver in October 2019. Thankfully before Covid 19 hit!

My thoughts would be that you could find plenty of work with other cruisers in just about any port in the world. Yes, we have a camaraderie that says we'll help anyone who needs help, but it also states that we will all take of our own problems. So we don't mind paying someone to help us with a problem when it comes up.

In many ports in the world, the local 'help' just does not have the same mindset that we have in the 1st world. Quality is a luxury that many people in many countries simply don't consider. So if I had a real electrical problem that I couldn't fix myself and you all of a sudden showed up, I would happily pay you for your time. Cash. And set out the sundowners when you're done!

Once you get out there, let people know that you are on a tight budget, that you are an excellent electrician and have a stock of great parts onboard.
Get a boat card made up with your name, what you do, and your contact info. Paddle around each anchorage you get to, introducing yourself and letting people know what you do and how much it is.
It won't be long and everyone will know who to call when they have a problem.

One of the boats I sailed with had a guy that was great with refrigeration and he had a lot of work. He helped me with my refrigeration in Tonga and even though I was living on a limited budget, I was more than happy to pay him.

Refrigeration and windlasses seem to be two of the most common problems that people can't fix themselves. So in your case, specializing in windlass problems might be an idea.

I don't know about the Caribbean or the more populated centers of cruising as my wife and I spent most of our time in more remote places and we went underneath South America on our way around. You might have some legal problems there, but Mexico would be fine. Upper Mexico being your best bet in my mind. That is where all the newbie cruisers go that don't have the miles under their keels to know how to fix everything. Their bank accounts are still full at that point too. I know I paid for some services there that I would never pay for now.

You would be welcome all across the Pacific except for New Zealand and Austalia. Asia you would be a godsend as all work is shipshod and it's hard to find anyone you can trust to do any work.

For you to live this life, it's important not to need money now. What I mean is to have a fund, say two years cruising kitty so you can work and stock up when the opportunity arises, and cruise without any worries in the times when you can't.

All the best in fulfilling your dream.
It's an incredible life 'out there' no matter how you make it happen.
Onward,
Mark
Merkava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, work