Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 09:54   #1

Boat: O'Day 35
B&g chartplotter turns into expensive paperweight

After three years of use, my B&G T7 chart plotter developed a crazy pattern of lines on the screen. This was on top of a depth and speed sensor that never worked correctly that was replaced by B&G. However, when it came to the chartplotter they told me that they no longer could repair the chart plotter but I could purchase another reconditioned chart plotter for $500. (unfortunately not my model and would not fit the Navpod.) This just seems like intentional planned obsolescence. Anyone else have experience with B&G products and their reliability and service?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191104_133758.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	205606  
rfkneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:37   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS
Re: B&g chartplotter turns into expensive paperweight

Try Garmin if you want planned obsolescence. At least B&G offered you a replacement Garmin just says to bad.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Sorry to hear it. In my case it was a very old Garmin backup GPS/plotter that died. A replacement that fit the same cable was expensive, even on ebay.

One thought: It's getting to where you can run just about anything on a cheap laptop or a tablet. I've go my radar on a refurbished iPad and OpenCPN on a laptop with a separate monitor at the helm. I could have a lot more on them if I wanted - the software is out there. Then, at least, you are dealing with an item that was produced in the millions. Parts are a lot easier to find, and replacement is not outrageous.
Old 24-12-2019, 10:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

See the current iPad versus Android tablet thread - people have LOTS of stuff on tablets.
Old 25-12-2019, 08:25   #5

Boat: O'Day 35

Thanks for the input!
rfkneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:43   #6

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

Bought my boat last year with a B&G Zeuss 2 chart plotter. It gave up the ghost after 4 months of ownership - must have been about 2 years old. I called B&G and told them the screen died. They acknowledged that they had a problem with the original screen supply on that model. They sent me a new one and returned my deposit when the old one arrived at their warranty claims office - I was very happy with them.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 10:33   #7

That is a lot older then 3 years. 6 or 7 probably.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 11:36   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've got the same model. I didn't get around to installing it until about 6 months ago. Some things can't be rushed! If you've got nothing to loose, it's possible that that fault is caused by a bad connection between the screen and it's driver circuitry so a tear down, clean and re-seat of connections might be worth a shot. Other than that, maybe hunt down a used unit to replace it with or just go with a tablet based replacement. I have both systems on my boat, and really only use the T7 as a helm mount AP control as I found my OpenCPN based nav system to work faster (T7's are sluggish in comparison) and to have more features. A tablet based system would probably still come in around the $500 mark minimum by the time you got together all the components required, though.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 12:01   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

I’m pretty much of the opinion that ALL chart plotters are expensive paperweights. I can’t understand why people still feel the need to have a permanently mounted plotter at the helm.
1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 14:06   #10
Marine Service Provider

And you were expecting what from B&G?
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 22:29   #11

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Had a b&g plotter die, out of warrenty but the wifi works fine so the tablet at the helm is fine so is the new tablet at the nav station.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 01:31   #12

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
I’m pretty much of the opinion that ALL chart plotters are expensive paperweights. I can’t understand why people still feel the need to have a permanently mounted plotter at the helm.

thereefgeek - Please explain. I want as much information in front of me at all times, track, AIS, wind, depth, radar etc. Surely having information instantly is just prudent seamanship.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 01:49   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
thereefgeek - Please explain. I want as much information in front of me at all times, track, AIS, wind, depth, radar etc. Surely having information instantly is just prudent seamanship. Greg H, Lagoon 440.
Me too, particularly for pilotage in busy coastal waters which is our main cruising ground. To the point we have a new RM Element under the sprayhood and an older Garmin at the helm. Sure there is the current chart on the table but doesn't get used much because I want eyes on what is going on around me. I know were I am and if it all goes pear shaped well the log is no more than a hour old with the last position. I now rarely draw on charts, instead they are used for planning and checking for obstructions.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 06:35   #14

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

As I believe another responder pointed out, the crazy lines are probably due to either a zebra connector poor connection between the LCD glass and and the driver circuit board or it may be a bad driver in the driver circuit board. You can try cleaning and repositioning the zebra connector (a strip of rubber with alternating colors, like a stack of cheese and salami). If the driver is bad, then that means replacing a chip, not something most people can do without special equipment. But, you don’t have lot to lose, unless you want the paperweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfkneller View Post
After three years of use, my B&G T7 chart plotter developed a crazy pattern of lines on the screen. This was on top of a depth and speed sensor that never worked correctly that was replaced by B&G. However, when it came to the chartplotter they told me that they no longer could repair the chart plotter but I could purchase another reconditioned chart plotter for $500. (unfortunately not my model and would not fit the Navpod.) This just seems like intentional planned obsolescence. Anyone else have experience with B&G products and their reliability and service?
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, grass