Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 19:01   #91

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Beneteau 38

Dehler, nice. Admiral does not agree. Oceanis 38 or Mahe 36.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:52   #92

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Beneteau 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Dehler, nice. Admiral does not agree. Oceanis 38 or Mahe 36.
Are you in the US or Europe? If in Europe I would wait for this one, the Comar 37. It looks nicer than the Mahe 36 Plus, at least on the drawings:

more here:
Interesting Sailboats: COMET and the CATS ( 37 and 62)

Regarding the two boats, the cat will have more space and it will be faster but the bluewater potential of the Oceanis 38 is much bigger than the one of a cat of that size, that should be viewed as mainly a coastal boat. For have the same bluewater potential you need a bigger cat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 15:34   #93

Thanks Polux. Am here in US, and that cat does look beautiful. Can't say I love the helms on the back steps though. Too exposed, and dangerous. My farthest blue water will be FL to the Bahamas, maybe FL Straights to Cuba when the embargo lifts. The Mahe is close to the Leapord 39, which is a blue water cat.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:51   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
That inflatable pool is up there with the stupidest things I've ever seen!!! Not ragging on Beneteau; after watching that "commercial," I've gotta say, the boat does have beautiful lines, but come ON. That pool is ridiculous. Is it just so a fish doesn't touch him?

Or maybe all of the "blue water cruisers" will install the same thing but with stainless steel tubing so they can have their private pool in the middle of the ocean...oh boy.
Jellyfish protection?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 16:09   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Are you in the US or Europe? If in Europe I would wait for this one, the Comar 37. It looks nicer than the Mahe 36 Plus, at least on the drawings:

more here:
Interesting Sailboats: COMET and the CATS ( 37 and 62)

Regarding the two boats, the cat will have more space and it will be faster but the bluewater potential of the Oceanis 38 is much bigger than the one of a cat of that size, that should be viewed as mainly a coastal boat. For have the same bluewater potential you need a bigger cat.
I don't know if this is good advice. I would not wait for a boat that may or may not be built. Surely if built it won't be in volume. The drawings look great but the reality is they are just drawings. Look how long it took for the Alpha 42 to finish one boat, a boat with a starting price of $350k but now sells for double.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 16:41   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
That inflatable pool is up there with the stupidest things I've ever seen!!! Not ragging on Beneteau; after watching that "commercial," I've gotta say, the boat does have beautiful lines, but come ON. That pool is ridiculous. Is it just so a fish doesn't touch him?

Or maybe all of the "blue water cruisers" will install the same thing but with stainless steel tubing so they can have their private pool in the middle of the ocean...oh boy.
Actually it is a briliant idea, and quite popular. When its 40 deg celcious and you want a dip and the boats near you are splashing about in the safety of their pools... well you have no idea what goes on in the rest of the world.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 16:49   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I don't know if this is good advice. I would not wait for a boat that may or may not be built. Surely if built it won't be in volume. The drawings look great but the reality is they are just drawings. Look how long it took for the Alpha 42 to finish one boat, a boat with a starting price of $350k but now sells for double.
I don't know if the Comet cat 37 is gonna to be built or not but there is some difference between Aeroyacht the builders of Alpha 42, that is a brand new company with its first boat and Comar that makes the Comet. The Comar first boat was made in the 60's (already a fiberglass boat) and they have being making sailing boats since then. They have made over 5000 of them.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:25   #98

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
The Mahe is close to the Leapord 39, which is a blue water cat.
Strongly disagree that they are close to each other. 5t vs. 9t displacement for one thing.

However, properly equipped, there's no reason why the Mahe is not a blue water cat.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 19:40   #99

Beneteau 38

Rohan: "Strongly disagree that they are close to each other. 5t vs. 9t displacement for one thing."

It's common knowledge that Leapord is (over)built and underpowered to a spec that bullet proofs the vessel given it's intended initial use (charter). It's an excellent, purpose-built design but that mass constrains it's performance in the hands of a seasoned mariner
Old 07-04-2014, 20:49   #100

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Rohan: "Strongly disagree that they are close to each other. 5t vs. 9t displacement for one thing."

It's common knowledge that Leapord is (over)built and underpowered to a spec that bullet proofs the vessel given it's intended initial use (charter). It's an excellent, purpose-built design but that mass constrains it's performance in the hands of a seasoned mariner
Strongly disagree with that too. 77 vs. 92 square meter sail for one thing. L39 is simply bigger, has more space and one more head than the M36.

The only time I sailed the 39 was in light airs, but it moved just fine. The charter company said it was their best sailing boat. I have heard similar things from other owners.

Not trying to hijack this thread though.. back to the point at hand - a Mahe 36 might be closer in living and storage space to the Beneteau 38, but the Leopard 39 is closer to the equivalent of the Beneteau 45.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22   #101

Quote:
Can't say I love the helms on the back steps though. Too exposed, and dangerous. My farthest blue water will be FL to the Bahamas, maybe FL Straights to Cuba when the embargo lifts. The Mahe is close to the Leapord 39, which is a blue water cat.
Regarding the wheeling position it is not what it looks on that picture. It is at the cockpit deck level and not on the steps. Not more dangerous than any steering position on a modern boat with an open transom. The deck is pulled forward in the middle of the cockpit to have there a big traveler easily accessible by the guy at the wheel.

I agree what it was said about the Leopard 39 and the Mahe. They are not just the same type of boat. The Leopard is closer to a Lagoon 38/39, even if the Lagoon 39 is even heavier. The Mahe and the Comet are sportive fast cats, not the Leopard or the Lagoon.

In what regards small cats weight has importance in the overall stability since they cannot have enough beam to warranty a very big stability and that's why sportive fast cats to have a good offshore potential (with safety) should not be small. Heavier cats like the Lagoon 38/39 or the Leopard 39, because are heavier and that gives them more stability, have a bigger offshore potential but I would not call them bluewater cats and their offshore potential is, in my opinion still smaller than the one of the Oceanis 38 and I have doubts that overall they will be faster.

Nothing wrong with the stability of the Mahe or the Comet 37 that would be boats much more fun (and fast) to sail than the Leopard or the Lagoon but on demanding occasions it is supposed you to be at the wheel, to be able to let go the sheets if needed in big gusts (look at the big traveler of the Comet 37 at easy reach of the guy at the wheel), a thing that you will not have problem doing in coastal sailing but at an Atlantic crossing that can be tiresome if bad weather is meet during several days. Not saying that cannot be done safely, just that the boat is less suited to it and will demand a bigger sportive crew motivated.

More information on the Comat Cat 37: Probably it will be launched late this year and it will cost about 230 000 euros. More information here:

Interesting Sailboats: COMET 37 CAT
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51   #102

Thanks Polux and Rohan. I admit to getting us seemingly off topic thread but these comparisons of the freshly designed Oceanis 38 vs. 35 to 39 foot production cats gets us directly back to the discussion. It suggests a new way to address the tired mono vs multi debate by alternatively looking at specific performance parameters in the analysis. At some point it is predictable that production builders will design in cat-like features to new mono hulls. The loft like main cabin on the Oceanis 38 is almost as appealing as the Mahe's salon.
Old 30-06-2014, 19:55   #103

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Hey folks,

I just purchased an Oceanis 38--in fact it's the unit in the earlier thread photo being sailed in 25 knot winds at about a 30 degree heel. The gentleman on the port side is Barrett C., the owner of South Coast Yachts here in San Diego. Here's a link to the video that was shot along with that still of them doing a solid 9+ knots and reaching 10.3 knots during that sail:

Long story short: The sail performance is phenomenal. The full length chine creates a "mode switch" heel situation

I'm a family man with a wife and three kids aged 10, 12, and 14. This is our third sloop, and I'd been following the boat since its introduction. I've lived aboard ship for four years and I've crossed the Pacific from San Diego to the Persian Gulf four times (not by sail), so I have some familiarity with what matters at sea.

Our primary criteria for buying the '38 was its ability to easily evolve to meet our changing needs as the kids grow up and move out and my wife and I go from primarily day sailing and weekending to extended cruising. I don't want to continue buying boats for every phase of our life, because that's been unnecessarily expensive thus far. Being able to open or close the master's cabin from the salon as we please is actually a really big deal for us. Seeming "nautical style" isn't a concern at all, as we don't have that many brass accoutrements to bring aboard anyway.

So you know, it takes about an hour to install or remove the bulkhead, and no, there is no good place to stow them aboard except one of the aft cabins. I'm considering options to secure them under the master's berth and I'll post a thread when and if I find a good way to do it.

To speak to some of the criticisms about the boat in this thread, it's not perfect. I've yet to find a boat that isn't a compromise; if you find one, please let me know. I find it to be the best set of compromises for our situation that I've found.

Actual complaints:
===========
While there aren't so many sharp corners as one might fear, there are certainly some, and there shouldn't be. Foam corners are going in.

The fiberglass lip around the companionway sliding hatch protrudes down 2cm below the cabin headliner, right into my forehead area. Requires foam padding.

The arch is right at my eyeline at the helm (I'm 6'5"), which is seriously annoying. I have to either stretch to see above it or slouch to see below it.

The two aft cabins aren't as equal as claimed. There's a lazarette on the starboard side cockpit that impinges pretty seriously into the starboard cabin, which is why it's the "storage area" in the two-cabin version. This causes no end of fights between teenagers as to whom berths where.

There's a definite lack of storage; it's not suitable for long-term cruising unless you can use both aft cabins as storage space. If you order the boat, order it with all possible storage options. And no, I don't consider the Longchamps hanging luggage to be a serious option. Fortunately, anything from IKEA is a style fit, so it won't be expensive to remediate

The inflatable pool is just as silly as it looks. Our boat came with it as the demo, we will be craigslisting it.

Complaints mentioned in this thread that aren't really justified:
========================================

Handholds are not something that should be built into a boat in my opinion. I have less than an inch of headroom on this boat and no headroom on most. What's a handhold for you is often a bruised head for me. Handholds should be installed by owners who know their boats. They're inexpensive, easily installed, and easily dismissed as a serious criticism. The cockpit has grab-rails aplenty and a very convenient footboard to make standing at the windward helm on a significant heel easy.

The galley is gimbaled as one would expect; I'm not sure what would be more dangerous about it than any other galley. The microwave is considerably safer than any stove and can be used whenever seas don't permit the use of the stove.

All the modules are bolted in and secure; there's no need to worry about fasteners.

If anyone has any questions about the boat or would like to see photos of something, let me know; I'd be happy to post a picture or answer any questions you have.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:06   #104

Boat: other people's boats

*yawn* yet another floating condo designed to appeal to the wives of sailors...
who_cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09   #105

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares View Post
*yawn* yet another floating condo designed to appeal to the wives of sailors...
Sure. And fast. And perfectly capable of serious passage making. And...
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau