Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 13:52   #1

Bahamas West End Abacos

Researched some old threads about checking in the Bahamas at West End and most make it clear that there isnt a great place to anchor there. BUt outside of that - I have never done it so just want to figure out what I can before I get there. Planning to go beginning of April

But where do you actually check in? can you check in right at the The Old Bahama Bay Marina ? When I search online it looks like the customs /immigration office is down in Freeport?

any help tips appreciated thanks
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Bahamas West End Abacos

I haven’t done it, but called the Marina and asked, apparently you can tie up to a dock for free to just clear in.
Looking back I should have checked in at West End as they can apparently give you 6 months, and not everywhere can.

Anyway, call the Marina and verify.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 22:41   #3

Call before. The powerboats that shoot over from FL take most of the spots depending on the weekend. If you have to anchor ( I did), the little cut to the north side is ok. Strong currents and sand covered rock aren’t ideal, but after you check in, there’s beautiful sailing all the way to the ábacos.
jwillis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 02:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakes View Post
But where do you actually check in? can you check in right at the The Old Bahama Bay Marina ? When I search online it looks like the customs /immigration office is down in Freeport?
The customs office is on right as you enter the marina.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 03:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As of January 21, 2019, Old Bahama Bay Marina was “temporarily” closed.
https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/0...na-operations/

Best Contact Ms. Jackie Carroll (OBB) to confirm:
1 - (888) 983-6188
1 - (242) 346-6500
1 - (242) 350-6516

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:54   #6

If you are going to Abaco, go to straight Great Sale then on to Green Turtle Cay to clear in. Don't stop at Spanish Cay it's a rip off. If you can go to Black Sound on GTC and take a mooring ball with Donny's.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:25   #7

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

As mentioned it is on the east side of the marina just south of the fuel dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1286EBE-4ECB-4511-AFFA-4265E6E64B1F.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	188099  
Old 15-03-2019, 14:15   #8

West End*Old Bahama Bay) is the easiest place to check in. Just pull up to the customs dock and check in . Bahamas says you must check in at the first available port. This is the first available port. After check in you can go through Indian Cay chalel to Mangrove or on to Great Sale. It's painless and keeps you from having any problems with Bahamas law enforcement.
Capt. Tom
S/V Chardonnay
Capt. Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 17:38   #9

Boat: O'Day 34

Has anyone cleared customs in old Bahama Bay at West End recently? We are planning on clearing there in the near future and are very concerned about the rumors and news reports saying that it’s closed.
It’s hard to get actual facts from media reports.
Thanks
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:07   #10

Old Bahama Bay was open 2 weeks ago with no problems. I don't know where all the misinformation comes from. If any questions give them a call.
Capt. Tom
S/V Chardonnay
Capt. Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 21:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Tom View Post
Old Bahama Bay was open 2 weeks ago with no problems. I don't know where all the misinformation comes from. If any questions give them a call.
Capt. Tom
S/V Chardonnay
There was a dispute over the ownership and management of OBB and the new owners had temporarily stopped operation of the marina, confirmed by the dockmaster at OBB when I called them last week.

However the customs office is open and you can dock there to clear in BUT on a first come first served basis and as mentioned, the dock is often full of sport fishing boats that come over for the week.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:29   #12

Boat: Sigma 41
Question Re: Bahamas West End Abacos

West End is very good and fast for clearing in but try to avoid Fridays and Saturdays as the go fast fish boats all clear there. If you tie up at the marina docks, they will charge you even for a few hours including a resort fee which cost cost us over $160 for partial night.
We are going over in late June and plan to follow the Explorer charts route just north of Indian rock but I am concerned as we will be entering there at low tide. Anyone experienced in this route and we carry 5 foot draft?
The alternative is to go further north to 26.55N which shows 2-3 meters at low tide. Mangrove is basically due east with 3-4 meters.
Any thoughts or recs?
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 13:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneve View Post
West End is very good and fast for clearing in but try to avoid Fridays and Saturdays as the go fast fish boats all clear there. If you tie up at the marina docks, they will charge you even for a few hours including a resort fee which cost cost us over $160 for partial night.
We are going over in late June and plan to follow the Explorer charts route just north of Indian rock but I am concerned as we will be entering there at low tide. Anyone experienced in this route and we carry 5 foot draft?
The alternative is to go further north to 26.55N which shows 2-3 meters at low tide. Mangrove is basically due east with 3-4 meters.
Any thoughts or recs?
I recommend skipping West End altogether. Instead go directly to Great Sale, entering the the Banks at Memory Rock waypoint. It's a much better line to cross the stream. We used this route six times. We usually leave Lake Worth just before dawn but that's in November. By late June you can leave in daylight. We then go to Great Sale in one shot arriving in the dark. Crossing the Banks to Great Sale from Memory Rock WP is a straight shot with depths of 12 to 20 feet the whole way. Anchoring at Great Sale is very easy with sand bottom everywhere and so can be done in the dark. From there its an easy trip down to Green Turtle where we clear in. You can take a leisurely 2 days to get to GTC or it can be done in one if you are in a hurry. With a 5 ft draft you can get in to Black Sound at half tide and stay on one of Donny's mooring balls for $20 per night with free wifi, waiting to go around the Whale. It's an easy walk to New Plymouth where you clear in and there is water and diesel available in the Sound.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 12:09   #14

excellent info thank you
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 11:31   #15

We had planned to anchor out, or rather, just have my wife stay on the boat and me dinghy in... The custom's officer told me that they will want to see the vessel and to bring it in. I went back out, brought it in (we are new and marinas make me nervous)... they never looked at the boat. Just my experience from 2-3 months ago... probably doesn't help much.

Tags
abaco, Bahamas