Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2019, 12:15   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
CCruising the East and West Coast of Central America

Hi all,

we're considering cruising down the west coast of central america, then through the canal and up the east coast (eventually getting out to Cuba then up to Bermuda and over to Europe)

Can anyone recommend some good cruising guides (either on-line ala Soggy Paws compendiums) or in book form (that we can buy from Amazon)

WE're on our way from the marquesas to hawaii then north ot Alaska and then south to Mexico - so we'll be looking at making that run in about 1-2 years.

thanks ahead of time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 13:32   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: CCruising the East and West Coast of Central America

Is there really nobody on this site that has ever cruised central america and can help with some cruising information?

hard to believe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 13:47   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Carsten,

we haven't been in a while, but here's the things I had for Mexico:

Check Latitude 38 for their "First Timer's Guide to Mexico". They run a rally every year in November (the BajaHaHa) so usually have the most up-to-date information on ever changing formalities. The rest of that guide is only moderately useful to someone who has already spent time cruising.

We used Rains' Mexico Boating Guide and found it quite useful if a bit expensive.

I have always liked Charlie's Charts and they do a Mexico guide, but I fear they are probably somewhat out of date. Haven't looked at a recent one for Mexico, but that is what I have found in other regions.

Don't know of any guides a la Soggy Paws but maybe someone else will jump in.

When you get to Panama the Bauhaus guide seems to be the standard but you may already have that one? For the rest of central America it's been too long to recommend anything.

If you're in Alaska next summer PM me, too much to see up here.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 15:55   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Carsten,

we haven't been in a while, but here's the things I had for Mexico:

Check Latitude 38 for their "First Timer's Guide to Mexico". They run a rally every year in November (the BajaHaHa) so usually have the most up-to-date information on ever changing formalities. The rest of that guide is only moderately useful to someone who has already spent time cruising.

We used Rains' Mexico Boating Guide and found it quite useful if a bit expensive.

I have always liked Charlie's Charts and they do a Mexico guide, but I fear they are probably somewhat out of date. Haven't looked at a recent one for Mexico, but that is what I have found in other regions.

Don't know of any guides a la Soggy Paws but maybe someone else will jump in.

When you get to Panama the Bauhaus guide seems to be the standard but you may already have that one? For the rest of central America it's been too long to recommend anything.

If you're in Alaska next summer PM me, too much to see up here.
I think we passed each other in the spring south of Haines. Don’t see too many Cats up here.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, cruising, west coast