Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 10:21   #31
TCL

Boat: 1979 Morgan 461, 46' sloop
Re: Requesting Opinions On Potential Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
How are things coming along with your boat search, TCL? Very curious to see where things lead for you, especially since you've been looking at a boat that I considered before finding a sister ship elsewhere. I hope you're getting your questions and concerns addressed. Where will you keep the boat if/when you purchase it? I know of at least 3 other Morgan 462 owners in south Florida - one in Vero Beach, another in Fort Pierce, and one in Miami. I'm sure there are more...

Regards,
David
Thanks for asking, David. I posted a new thread asking folks for thoughts on the owner's description of the work he did to rebuilt the mast step (I thought the issue of the workmanship of the repair was separate enough that it was worth its own thread): Rebuilt Mast Step - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Frankly, had he said that a professional did the work, at this point I'd likely have made an offer and started arranging for a survey. Finding out he did the repair himself gives me more pause.
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:01   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
Thanks for asking, David. I posted a new thread asking folks for thoughts on the owner's description of the work he did to rebuilt the mast step (I thought the issue of the workmanship of the repair was separate enough that it was worth its own thread): Rebuilt Mast Step - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Frankly, had he said that a professional did the work, at this point I'd likely have made an offer and started arranging for a survey. Finding out he did the repair himself gives me more pause.
I understand that giving you pause, but it could be a good negotiating point for a reduction in the price. The repair sounds thorough, but also depends on his skill level with woodworking and epoxy/fiberglass. Perhaps you could get someone with some knowledge to review the repair, in person, before making any offer contingent on a full survey. In effect, a mini survey of just the mast step repair...

-David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:36   #33

Quote:
Paul --
Thanks for your thoughts, and having been a member here for a while, I realized when I posted that I would get a few responses like yours. Perhaps you mis-read my post or perhaps I somehow did not make my thoughts sufficiently clear. So to be clear to you and anyone else who might respond:

NO WHERE in my original post did I intend suggest that I might be relying solely on "free advice, crowd-sourced based opinions";
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would spend $75K on a boat, whether a 46' boat or any other length, based on my brief review of the boat (or based on free advice from a forum);
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would EVER buy a boat without a professional survey;
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would be hesitant to pay $1000 for a professional survey.
And no where in my original post does it suggest that I want "new and perfect and a warranty."

In fact, my post says simply that I was in the process of doing research to decide whether to (a) proceed, make an offer, get a survey and sea trial or (b) to forgo that process altogether for this boat.

I'm certainly not going to make a decision on whether to pay $XX for a boat based on what are the responses to a forum post. I'm certainly not going to pay $XX for a boat without a professional survey and sea trial. (And I'm certainly not going to pay $75K for this boat.)

I'd say "give me a little credit," but I realize that you, and others, don't know anything about me or anyone who posts questions on this forum -- and I've seen some pretty inept questions from apparent novices -- so instead I'll give you a little credit and assume that the miscommunication was my fault.

That said, I don't think there's any reason why, as part of the research I'm doing, I should not post questions on a forum like this to solicit opinions of others who may have more experience than me (although I have plenty, thanks) or who have experience with the specific boats I'm considering. Frankly, the only reason I'd hesitate to do that is to avoid responses like yours.

-The mast step does not look unusual for a boat that age. I don't see it as a deal killer.... that doesn't mean you wont have to work on it though. Have your surveyor probe it well.
- Discoloration/mold/dust/ wood power below decks is a just a way of life for old boats. ....
-The strut appears to have been glassed over.... and recently as there is no bottom paint. I would investigate that further. Just done to fair it in? Done to slop a low leak? (improper) Possible to get at the bolts? Without further knowledge of why, I would plan on possibly having to remove, clean up and rebolt/rebed it just in case.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 07:14   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Thanks Jim. I'd always get a survey before purchasing, just wanted to run some thoughts by the forum as well and see what kind of insights, if any, folks might have before I decide whether this is a strong enough candidate to spend the $1200+ on the survey or just keep looking.

On the skeg/shaft strut, I guess what threw me is that no bolts are apparent -- unlike the photo that Davidhoy posted of his. Perhaps the bolts are covered over by glass or, as you say, maybe it's just glassed.

Thanks again.
The bolt access will be inside the hull. Probably under the aft berth.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:09   #35
TCL

Quote:
Perhaps you could get someone with some knowledge to review the repair, in person, before making any offer contingent on a full survey. In effect, a mini survey of just the mast step repair...
Thanks, David. Good thoughts. I plan to send this info to a couple of potential surveyors to see if I can get initial reactions before committing to a full survey.
Old 09-10-2016, 18:26   #36

Hey TCL, just curious whether that Morgan 462 in Green Cove Springs made it through the hurricane unscathed?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 09-10-2016, 18:51   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Paul --
Thanks for your thoughts, and having been a member here for a while, I realized when I posted that I would get a few responses like yours. Perhaps you mis-read my post or perhaps I somehow did not make my thoughts sufficiently clear. So to be clear to you and anyone else who might respond:

NO WHERE in my original post did I intend suggest that I might be relying solely on "free advice, crowd-sourced based opinions";
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would spend $75K on a boat, whether a 46' boat or any other length, based on my brief review of the boat (or based on free advice from a forum);
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would EVER buy a boat without a professional survey;
NO WHERE in my original post did I intend to suggest that I would be hesitant to pay $1000 for a professional survey.
And no where in my original post does it suggest that I want "new and perfect and a warranty."

In fact, my post says simply that I was in the process of doing research to decide whether to (a) proceed, make an offer, get a survey and sea trial or (b) to forgo that process altogether for this boat.

I'm certainly not going to make a decision on whether to pay $XX for a boat based on what are the responses to a forum post. I'm certainly not going to pay $XX for a boat without a professional survey and sea trial. (And I'm certainly not going to pay $75K for this boat.)

I'd say "give me a little credit," but I realize that you, and others, don't know anything about me or anyone who posts questions on this forum -- and I've seen some pretty inept questions from apparent novices -- so instead I'll give you a little credit and assume that the miscommunication was my fault.

That said, I don't think there's any reason why, as part of the research I'm doing, I should not post questions on a forum like this to solicit opinions of others who may have more experience than me (although I have plenty, thanks) or who have experience with the specific boats I'm considering. Frankly, the only reason I'd hesitate to do that is to avoid responses like yours.
well said hope 101 was of some use.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:00   #38
TCL

Quote:
Hey TCL, just curious whether that Morgan 462 in Green Cove Springs made it through the hurricane unscathed?
Hi David, thanks for asking. Don't know yet. I made an offer on the boat last week (late Wed. that my broker didn't end up forwarding til Thur.). Among the special stipulations I added was that Buyer could revoke offer, without penalty, before survey, if vessel sustained any damage from storms associated with Hurricane Matthew. Got word back from Listing Broker that Seller intended to counteroffer but was preoccupied with preparing for Matthew (sounded like more for himself, his family, and home than for the boat), so would be this week before I could expect a written counter. I was traveling this weekend (Key West; beautiful weather, Matthew had no effect) and intend to follow up with my broker today to see if any word.

Assume that there were no weather problems from the hurricane on your side of Florida. Hope so, in any event.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:09   #39

Quote:
Hi David, thanks for asking. Don't know yet. I made an offer on the boat last week (late Wed. that my broker didn't end up forwarding til Thur.). Among the special stipulations I added was that Buyer could revoke offer, without penalty, before survey, if vessel sustained any damage from storms associated with Hurricane Matthew. Got word back from Listing Broker that Seller intended to counteroffer but was preoccupied with preparing for Matthew (sounded like more for himself, his family, and home than for the boat), so would be this week before I could expect a written counter. I was traveling this weekend (Key West; beautiful weather, Matthew had no effect) and intend to follow up with my broker today to see if any word.

Assume that there were no weather problems from the hurricane on your side of Florida. Hope so, in any event.
Hope all goes well, that the boat is unscathed, the seller accepts your offer, and the survey goes well!

My boat was not affected by the storm. It's still in Fort Myers Beach, and I'll be moving it to Fort Lauderdale in a couple of weeks now that the lightning repairs are complete.

One thing I'd recommend checking, either as part of the survey or separately, is the condition of the fuel tank(s) and their contents. I had an issue with a clogged fuel pickup the other day and had both tanks cleaned and the fuel polished. According to the guy who cleaned the tanks for me, there was a live algae problem, and he put some algaecide in the tanks after cleaning them. Since this boat has been sitting on the hard for a while, any water in the tanks could result in general nastiness. No a big deal, nothing that would prevent your deal going through, but better to deal with it upfront that start motoring only to have your filters clog and the engine lose power and die on you. Oh, and trust me on this, once you buy any boat, invest in a TowBoatUS or SeaTow membership ;-)

Regards,
David.
Old 11-10-2016, 17:51   #40

I heard that boats on the hard in Green Cove Springs made it through Matthew with little to no damage, but those in the mooring field did not fare so well. That should be good for the OP :-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
morgan, purchase