Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 17:25   #16

Re: PNW Year Round Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I liked short-term cruising and did lots of sailing in the winters, but for longer-term stuff you really want to be in a marina, purely for the power.

Solar is basically non-existant and you want an 120V power hookup so you can run dehumidifiers or space heaters to stay warm and dry which is essential.

I had a diesel heater which was fantastic when I was traveling around but relying on it all winter long would cost a ton in diesel (and I try to burn as little fuel as possible generally)

Good point. We were worried about diesel usage and costs for sure.

smillasense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 18:15   #17

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillasense View Post
Good point. We were worried about diesel usage and costs for sure.
It is not the cost, it is the fumes. In some places you will be oriented stern to wind due to currents. Without a heater running, temperatures inside a boat in a winter are in the forties. Occasionally, low fifties when it is sunny.
Humidity is about 80% most of the year. You will need a dehumidifier running most of the time unless you like the mildew smell.
Waiting list at marinas last year was 1-2 years (I am still on a waiting list in Everett marina since October 2018). Liveaboard slips have much longer waiting lists. Transient slips are relatively inexpensive and generally available, particularly in winters.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 19:29   #18

Boat: Islander 37

I have my boat in Poulsbo Wa marina,I had about a year wait list, There is a growing number of anchor out community the Port seems to encourage, and support in covid season, very sheltered Longship Marine provides best boat, used supplies, great , coffee shops, bakery. liberty bay will welcome
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 19:40   #19

Did lots of winter cruising in the area, actually really liked it. Diesel heater turned up, even kerosene lamps kick out some decent heat as a helper. Give me a good book and a nightcap during the day and I was a happy camper. Dress for it and make sure you have really good heat and an anchor big enough that dock walkers laugh and point at it when they go by....you’ll be good to go.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick brooks View Post
I have my boat in Poulsbo Wa marina,I had about a year wait list, There is a growing number of anchor out community the Port seems to encourage, and support in covid season, very sheltered Longship Marine provides best boat, used supplies, great , coffee shops, bakery. liberty bay will welcome

I'd probably spend half my slip fees at that bakery!

smillasense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising