Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 12:25   #1

Boat: Islander 30
Help with Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor Installation

It looks like a mess; just trying to get the connections right before I do the necessary wire management. I’ll try to explain it the best I can. I installed a Victron bmv 712 battery monitor on my (2) West Marine 105Ah batteries. Before installing the monitor, the batteries were (and still are) wired in parallel. Since I’ll mainly be using one battery as the starter, and the other as the house battery, I installed the monitor on the chosen house battery. So, I have all negative connections (except parallel connection from neg house battery to pos starter battery) from the house battery on the battery monitor shunt (load side) and then a connection from the negative house battery to the battery side of the shunt. The shunt is powered to the positive terminal of the house battery. I’ve got a reading and it seems to be ok.

The thing I’m unsure of is since my batteries are wired in parallel, is it actually an isolated accurate read? Or am I getting cumulative readings from both batteries? I also need to program the Amp hours in the monitor; since each battery is 105Ah, is that the number I would use? Or would it be 210Ah because they’re wired in parallel— even though the starter battery has no direct connection with the battery monitor — besides the parallel connection?

Do I even have this wired correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1266.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	217971  
brandtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 21:10   #2

Re: Help with Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor Installation

Since it’s one battery bank. A single ground wire goes from one battery to the shunt. (I don’t even see a wire on the battery side?) One neg jumper goes beteeen batteries. All other ground wires go after shunt. Meter is programmed to ah of both batteries.

You can not use one for house, and one for start. . It’s one single bank. As is.

That is a total mess that needs to be redone.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 23:00   #3

Boat: Islander 30
Re: Help with Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Since it’s one battery bank. A single ground wire goes from one battery to the shunt. (I don’t even see a wire on the battery side?) One neg jumper goes beteeen batteries. All other ground wires go after shunt. Meter is programmed to ah of both batteries.

You can not use one for house, and one for start. . It’s one single bank. As is.

That is a total mess that needs to be redone.
Understood; thank you for your help!
brandtj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, installation, monitor