Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 07:06   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Sailboat confused regarding navigation lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force Majeure View Post
Another option is the scheme Beneteau uses. Beneteau Oceanis series sailboats from the factory don’t utilize a mast mounted Steaming light or a stern light. They instead use the anchor light, giving them a combined stern light (135 degrees) and a masthead (225 degrees) light. When motoring, they extinguish the tri-color, and light their Bi-color bow light and anchor light.

So, if you already have a bi-color bow light (or side lights), you can dispense with the masthead steaming light and stern light, and just light the bi-color and anchor when steaming. When sailing use the tri-color.
This is only allowed on boats 12 meters or less (so 39 feet and under). If you're over that length, you MUST have separate lights for the stern light and steaming light.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:25   #32

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Another option is the scheme Beneteau uses. Beneteau Oceanis series sailboats from the factory don’t utilize a mast mounted Steaming light or a stern light. They instead use the anchor light, giving them a combined stern light (135 degrees) and a masthead (225 degrees) light. When motoring, they extinguish the tri-color, and light their Bi-color bow light and anchor light.

So, if you already have a bi-color bow light (or side lights), you can dispense with the masthead steaming light and stern light, and just light the bi-color and anchor when steaming. When sailing use the tri-color.
My understanding is that is illegal for vessels over 12 metres. Stern and Steaming lights MUST have significant horizontal separation (I'm not sure why. There doesn't seem to be any good reason since you aren't supposed to be able to see both at the same time anyway).

I'm surprised they are doing it.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:08   #33

Quote:

My 09 Beneteau Oceanis 31 does not have that configuration. It has deck level side and stern lights, a steaming light about 2/3rds the way up the mast, and a separate all-around anchor light at the top. It has a single three-position switch (sailing/off/motoring).
DancingDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 12:12   #34

Boat: Prout Quest 33CS, 33ft, "Cat-a-tonic"

20 years ago I bought a second hand 10m production Prout cat with little or no modification since production. There was just a masthead tri-clour and a steaming light 2/3 up the face of the mast but no deck level lights. After being challenged by several other boats whilst steaming under tricolour and steaming light I exhaustively searched the literature for verification that this was an acceptable combination because that's how it left the factory so assumed it must be right.

Of course it wasn't right. I retro-fitted deck and stern lights to conform to deck level lights and steaming light when motoring, followed later by a masthead anchor light i.l.o a lantern in the rigging. I then made up an auto-switching box of relays etc. that sense when the engine is running.This switches tricolour to steaming/deck level when motoring automatically. No-one shouts at me anymore. Well not about my running lights anyway.
Cat-a-tonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, navigation, sail, sailboat