Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 11:12   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Minimum equipment requirements when selling a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Let me guess? Are you shopping for your first boat?
He does make a good point.

It's easy for an experienced buyer to see when a boat has been totally stripped.

This could cause the buyer to go elsewhere.

My boat was left a few hundred miles short of it's home marina at the end of the PO's 2 year cruise from Massachusetts to Florida and the Bahamas so the boat was loaded!

Almost new jib, almost new strorm jib, GPS (2), autopilot, depth, VHF, all safety equipment, dinghy, tons of spare engine parts, PFD's, hose water filter, dodger, bimini, etc, etc.

It made the boat totally worth it's $2,000 price tag
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 11:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbarbary View Post
Sounds cheap behavior to me. May really piss off the buyer... May end up costing you more than what you were trying to skimp...
How so? if the items aren't 'installed' and not listed in the P&S the seller has every right to his possessions. This comes to head AFTER the sale is complete. The buyer may have an unreasonable set of expectations, but it's not clear how this is going to cost the seller anything.

I don't think of items not installed (PFD's, boat hooks, throwables) as part of the boat. Nor do I think of items with expiration dates (flares). I do leave fire extinguishers. But then when I'm buying a new-to-me boat, I replace the fire extinguishers automatically anyway.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 14:12   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I was a bit miffed when the boat as shown included a tail mounted grill which disappeared after the sale. No mention before that it would be removed. No biggie but still ...
Old 15-06-2020, 14:14   #19

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

What's the usage/registration.tax repercussion of 'stripping' everything on the sales agreement and selling those extras on a separate transaction? Maybe not even removing them from the boat.
Thanks
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 17:14   #20

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

If you want it take it off the boat. List what comes with the sale. EVERYTHING is negotiable
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 17:54   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The OP is from Ontario, Canada. I don't know if there are Canadian restrictions for what he can remove. We always leave the docklines, fenders, spare parts for the boat's system, boat hook, fire extinguishers, and make sure we're clear, in writing, about what's excluded. One would probably always take one's own EPIRB if going to another boat. But I think the OP should check with his own area coast guard, or council, in case there are idiosyncratic exclusions.

Ann

We even know a guy who left a nice bottle of wine, some good cheese, and crackers, and a small bowl of fresh fruit for the new owners, like a welcome to the new steward of the boat.

Tags
boat, equipment, men, sail, sailboat