Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2020, 10:41   #1

Boat: C&C 41
Inner Harbor Navigation Canal closed

The Inner Harbor Navigation Canal at New Orleans will be closed for 2 months. The CG plans to reroute GICW traffic down the Mississippi, through Bayou Babtist, and then up Chandeleur Sound. This route was opened in 2016 as well. My problem is that I have a C&C 41 keel/center boarder with 5 and 1/2 foot draft docked on Lake Pontchartrain and I want to move it to Galveston. Has anyone done this alternate route before or does anyone have any thoughts about travelling the route in a sailboat?
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 13:56   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Inner Harbor Navigation Canal closed

I’m guessing you plan on going the opposite direction but not up the Mississippi?
We have sailed through the Chandeleur Sound and entered Baptiste Collette Bayou a few times. Shouldn’t be any problem for you but at that point wouldn’t you want to exit the Mississippi River into the Gulf?
Just on the opposite side of the Mississippi from Baptiste Collette is Venice and Tiger Pass. We’ve also passed through Tiger Pass to get to the Gulf but that route may have silted in.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 15:23   #3

I'm trying to decide whether to go offshore and hazard the rigs or stick with the GICW through Babtiste Collette and then up the Mississippi to Harvey Lock. I can make 6 knots and hopefully the river will be less ferocious in Oct.
Old 05-09-2020, 15:57   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvstein View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to go offshore and hazard the rigs or stick with the GICW through Babtiste Collette and then up the Mississippi to Harvey Lock. I can make 6 knots and hopefully the river will be less ferocious in Oct.

Check on Tiger Pass. It’s a short 30 mile trip from the mouth of Tiger Pass to Grand Isle, then about 25-30 miles up the Baratarria
Waterway to the ICW.
The positives are you don’t have to fight the currents of the Mississippi and you also get to miss out on the lock.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 20:11   #5

Thanks, will check on Babtiste Collette to Tiger Pass. But more likely I will hire some crew and go offshore.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Head out of Lake P via Rigolets.. down thru Sound (stay far off coast) around La. bird's foot n either straight to Gal jetties after leaving SWPass way to stbrd (min 5 miles) OR .. duck into ICW at Freshwater Cut or Sabine River. Tiger Pass closed last I checked n I wouldnt be anywhere near shipping on Miss anyway, esp not at night. Have at least 2 crew on board. Good luck. Cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, navigation