Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 07:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
Selling my old boat long distance.

Hi all-

I have my old boat listed on sailboatlistings.com at a very low price. The hitch is I’m in AZ and the boats in FL. Have had quite a bit of interest, but the buyers want to see the interior. I’m uneasy about sending a key without something more than tire-kicker interest. How should I handle this?

Dream in’ (of my next boat)
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 17:23   #2

Re: Selling my old boat long distance.

Is it at a staffed marina? If so and you've been there a while (good customer), then maybe you can give them a key to give to potential buyers.

Tire-kickers aren't all bad if they're not taking up too much of yours and others' time. Who knows, it could be a tire-kicker that actually buys it.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 18:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Hi all-

I have my old boat listed on sailboatlistings.com at a very low price. The hitch is I’m in AZ and the boats in FL. Have had quite a bit of interest, but the buyers want to see the interior. I’m uneasy about sending a key without something more than tire-kicker interest. How should I handle this?

Dream in’ (of my next boat)
Where in Florida is the boat?
I moved to Florida 6 months ago
and as a result of Covid have plenty of time on
my hands. I could show your boat for you.
Don’t need any compensation, just looking for
something to do
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 19:17   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Have someone you trust show the boat.

It is 100% normal potentials want to have a look.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 10:28   #5

Is it ketch rigged? And where in Florida?
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:22   #6

Boat: Seaward 25

We have sold several boats on our own but, when it came time to sell our boat in the Pacific Northwest while we were home in AZ, we didn’t even consider doing it without a broker. The 10% commission we paid was the some of the best money we ever spent on the boat. We placed the boat in the broker’s yard. He parked it in a prime position, showed it, arranged and was there for the sea trials and inspection and even installed and took down the foresail before and after the sea trials (first buyer backed out after sea trial). All over a period of about 4 months. No way we could have done this without him.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:55   #7

Yep, ketch rigged. Good old boat. Next adventure needs more efficient,?quieter engine- the Loop! It’s on the hard in Indiantown.
Old 29-07-2020, 12:00   #8

Understand, only askin 12k so not enough commission to get a broker inteerested. If it doesn’t sell quick we’ll reposed and.do the loop with this boat.
Old 29-07-2020, 20:24   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Hire a broker and send 'em the keys. Just up the price to cover the brokerage and wait for offers--if you have an open listing system, you can make more than one key and send it to more than one broker.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 20:40   #10

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I am not certain about the USA, but in Oz brokerage is usually calculated on ten percent for the first ten thousand and five percent on the balance up to a certain figure, then 2.5 % thereafter, a low priced vessel is still a good market prospect for an honest broker because there are a lot more optimistic buyers in that price range, and a hell of a lot more boats, if they are properly priced.

I used to sell homes, and I made far more money than any of my local competition, because I worked far harder than they did by NOT turning away deals. I never refused to accept money from ANYONE who wanted my service and I made damn sure they got it. Any broker who forgets that he works for VENDORS will soon find that buyers do not pay his commission, vendors do, and only on SUCCESSFUL outcomes.

If a broker wishes to become a buyers' agent, and be paid by the buyer a percentage of money saved from the asking price, or on locating a deal to order and being paid a commission as if a brokerage sale then and only then to they work for buyers.

There is nothing WRONG with being a buyers' agent, some or all of the time, but one can not and should not try to be both on the same deal. If a buyers' agent finds a good deal listed with a broker, then they do a conjunction deal and split the commission, or come to some other arrangement with the purchaser and buyers' agent.

So--If I was a broker, I would be happy to accept your listing, and I would do so if, having inspected the vessel, if I thought that it was good or even fair value for a purchasers' money with brokerage included.

That is what selling and buying is about--getting fair value for money--in both directions. The service a broker provides includes insurance, finance, valuations, advice, negotiation skills and represents fair value for the commission charged--at least MOST of the time.

But of course there are exceptions. Get references.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 04:48   #11

Gee Mike I think you just stabbed every North American yacht broker in the heart, er I mean wallet. I'm a former yacht broker and have been an active Realtor in Canada for 26 years. In some areas Realtors use the same commission structure you indicate. It is all about providing service (quality, quantity, depth, beyond expectation . . .) to the point that the client/customer fully grasps that you are the right one for them. When dealing at a distance interview, vet out, agree on service terms and length of contract - then trust the broker to do their job.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat