Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 17:35   #1

Oil leak from Borg warner 72c transmission

It is leaking where axle of lever for direction is coming out.

How to solve this problem?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leaking2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	184861  
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 18:38   #2

Re: Oil leak from Borg warner 72c transmission

As I recall there is an O ring around each end of the shift valve... One by the shift lever on the end you show and another on the other end by the neutral safety switch.

Very easy to change out.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28   #3

Do I have to open it on the neutral safety switch side?
Pull all out? Will it not fall apart?
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43   #4

Sorry, I misspoke....there is an O ring on the shift lever end, and a gasket on the neutral switch end. You can easily find a 71 series workshop manual online which details everything about the gearbox, but here is the procedure to change the O ring which is leaking...

- remove the transmission shift lever by removing the nut and washers holding the lever in place.....be careful of the shift detent ball and spring which will try to escape when you take the lever off.
- remove the two wires on the neutral switch, and then remove the neutral switch from its location in the shift valve end cover. Remove the cover over the end of the shift valve by unscrewing the three bolts holding the cover in place. Under the end cover there is a gasket and the neutral switch cam plate which will fall out when the cover is removed.
- push the shift valve out of the case by tapping lightly on the threaded end of the valve. The valve will exit toward the neutral safety switch direction...nothing spring loaded will explode.
- Replace the old O ring on the shift valve with a new one, put a little oil on it and replace the shift valve in the transmission housing the same way it came out. Note: position the notch in the end of the shift valve toward the lower of the three attachment bolt holes.
- place the neutral switch cam in position with the drive tang positioned in the notch in the end of the shift valve. BE CAREFUL HERE....If the cam gets out of position here it's possible to break the tang off of the cam
- install a new gasket and CAREFULLY position the cover in place and tighten the three mounting bolts. Replace the neutral safety switch and wires....it doesn't matter which wire goes where
- reinstall all the bits and pieces on the lever end of the valve in the reverse order of disassembly, putting a bit of grease on the detent ball & spring. The shift lever should move from forward to reverse with light finger pressure.. If not go back and find out why not.....probably the neutral switch cam got out of position and is jammed.

Hope this helps.
DougR
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22   #5

Than you.

Do you know maybe the dimensions of "o" ring?

I case I can not get the right oring. I will have to do the work twice.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:36   #6

Don't know.......take the shift valve with you to the O ring shop so it can be measured.

DougR
Old 01-02-2019, 17:07   #7

Work is done. Tomorrow I will test it. For leak I have to have engine running to heat the transmission.

Tags
oil, oil leak, transmission