Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Best Place to Leave Boat for Month in BVI (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/best-place-to-leave-boat-for-month-in-bvi-9979.html)

dworkman 04-09-2007 15:56

Best Place to Leave Boat for Month in BVI

Hi everyone, and thanks for a great forum. It's been great just reading post after post for the last few days. I am hopeful some of the BVI regulars can help me out with this one:

Does anyone have some good advice where the best place to leave a Voyage 380 Cat for 20-30 days in May 2008 (unattended) in the BVI?

We need to head back to the mainland for a month or so during this time.

I wouldn't be adverse to mooring or having a reliable boat sitter if someone recommends it.

Right now, I am thinking Nanny Cay would be the best bet based on recommendations that it is a secure and protected site.

Does anyone know of any marinas that have un-serviced slips at a discounted rate?

Prices do add up quick for a large Cat. Would anyone advise that I pick up a mooring or set a hook for that time with a fellow cruiser or resident keeping an eye on the boat? If so, where would be the best place for this?

Thanks all!

Reality Check 05-09-2007 08:39

Nanny Cay would be a good choice. I would recommend you attempt to get a slip reserved now as Nanny Cay is generally full until late July when the haul outs for season jump into gear.

Not sure how far in advance you may make reservations but you do need to contact them and set it up. They will probably immediately bill you as space is $$$.

I'll be at Nanny Cay 13-18 September closing on a "new for me" s/v and putting it on the hard for the season. I was down a month ago and lots of space for mono and cats were available but that will not be so between end of November and July when space is at a premium.

A "new" marina at Sophers Hole is now in operation but looks a bit ragged and not sure I would want to place an unattended boat with anything of value on it at the location yet... maybe when it gets built up a bit more. Another marina on Scrub Island should be getting near completion, just across from Pussers Marina Cay and Beef Island Airport. I saw it last in about April and it may be a good location for moving around but not sure of amount of protection from winds and roll. Spanish Town's marina on Virgin Gorda is Good but may be out of the way and a bit more expensive and possibly very expensive for those afflicted with Cats.

ub1 08-09-2007 13:02

I have had a dock at manuel reef marina sea cow bay tortola the past 2 seasons there is not much there yet besides docks but I have left the boat there when I fly back contact Jim Woods 284-495-2066

camaraderie 09-09-2007 12:03

If Tortola is full, you might try Virgin Gorda...here's a link to their rates:
IGY Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour Boatyard Rates