Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   PAN PAN....OR PON PON (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/pan-pan-or-pon-pon-98937.html)

Mark1977 26-02-2013 15:34

PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Not to take from another thread ......
What is the correct pronunciation?
I have taken a radio course and was told PON PON was correct.

FSMike 26-02-2013 15:53

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
PON PON.

Ocean Girl 26-02-2013 16:00

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Crewing, I've heard it pan by some captains and pon by others. Never really knowing the correct way I just say pan, they get the drift.

Mark1977 26-02-2013 16:04

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Madie, pronounced mayday, distress.
Pan pan, pronounced pon pon, urgency.
Securitie, pronounced securitay, security less than urgent.

Kettlewell 26-02-2013 16:11

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Quote:

Urgent communications are identified by "Pan-Pan" (pronounced Pahn-Pahn).
Chapman Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling, by Elbert S. Maloney.

cfarrar 26-02-2013 16:14

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
If it originates from the French "panne," wouldn't it be something between Pan and Pon? Sort of an "ae" vowel?

I was taught "Pan Pan" in the U.S. Navy, but I heard a lot of other words there, too, some grossly mispronounced and some not repeatable in this forum.

Nicholson58 26-02-2013 16:16

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Iv'e heard from the Coast Guard, "Pan Pan & security". Why pretend to be French?

Fragile - Fra-geee-lay.

s/v Jedi 26-02-2013 16:23

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
It doesn't matter how much you want to change it because it won't, It's pan-pan, it's always been pan-pan, will always stay pan-pan and the USCG is just wrong with their pon-pon. It is International regulation and can't be different for the US or anyone else. Not that they would have a clue here in Latin America when you would call pan-pan but hey, this is Latin America :thumb:

Don't get me started about what Pon-pon means... :whistling:

goboatingnow 26-02-2013 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 (Post 1169759)
Iv'e heard from the Coast Guard, "Pan Pan & security". Why pretend to be French?

Fragile - Fra-geee-lay.

Its not pretend French, its the agreed pronunciation , like you are aware there are loads of people that don't speak English.

Mayday , comes from the French
PaN pan , is pronounced PAN comes from the French panne

securitay. , is not pronounced security , which is an entirely different English word , again from the French meaning of safety


Others are seelonce and seelonce fineee for the enforcement of radio silence and its ending

Dave

snort 26-02-2013 16:29

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
On to a related question: Is the dancing in Paris can can or is it con con?

David_Old_Jersey 26-02-2013 16:34

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 (Post 1169759)
Iv'e heard from the Coast Guard, "Pan Pan & security". Why pretend to be French?

Fragile - Fra-geee-lay.

Is that one of those "the French have no word for Entrepreneur" things :whistling:.

Around here SÚcuritÚ is pronouced exactly as it is written :p (the "Ú" is pronouced as an "a" or an "ay"......Sa-cure-it-ay) - and means "Safety", not "Security" (it's a Safety Alert - precautionary).

Never heard of Pon Pon :confused:. Pan Pan is an alert to a problem, but not a call for a rescue (that's Mayday - named after the socialist workers bank holiday on 1st May :whistling:).

Securite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pan-pan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..........lol, must type faster than GBN!

Mark1977 26-02-2013 16:35

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by s/v Jedi (Post 1169769)
It doesn't matter how much you want to change it because it won't, It's pan-pan, it's always been pan-pan, will always stay pan-pan and the USCG is just wrong with their pon-pon. It is International regulation and can't be different for the US or anyone else. Not that they would have a clue here in Latin America when you would call pan-pan but hey, this is Latin America :thumb:

Don't get me started about what Pon-pon means... :whistling:

I don't want to change it.....just wondering what the correct way is. I have taken a radio course and passed the exam. Not that it really matters, I am sure everyone would understand either way.:confused:

goboatingnow 26-02-2013 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark1977 (Post 1169783)

I don't want to change it.....just wondering what the correct way is. I have taken a radio course and passed the exam. Not that it really matters, I am sure everyone would understand either way.:confused:

Its Pan , like frying pan, that's how the French pronounce pan too .



Dave

Kettlewell 26-02-2013 16:40

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Quote:

I don't want to change it.....just wondering what the correct way is.
At least as it is taught in the USA, it is "Pahn-Pahn" or "Pon-Pon."

The Coast Guard writes this:

Quote:

Use MAYDAY when you are in imminent distress, and the term PAN, PAN (rhymes with on, on) for situations where you are concerned, but not necessarily in immediate danger.
If you are going to claim otherwise, cite a source please.

cwyckham 26-02-2013 16:41

Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey (Post 1169782)
Is that one of those "the French have no word for Entrepreneur" things :whistling:.

Around here SÚcuritÚ is pronouced exactly as it is written :p (the "Ú" is pronouced as an "a" or an "ay"......Sa-cure-it-ay) - and means "Safety", not "Security" (it's a Safety Alert - precautionary).

Never heard of Pon Pon :confused:. Pan Pan is an alert to a problem, but not a call for a rescue (that's Mayday - named after the socialist workers bank holiday on 1st May :whistling:).

Securite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pan-pan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..........lol, must type faster than GBN!

Well, your wikipedia link says that it's pronounced with an a as in father or bra, which is the same as Pon Pon to my ears.

Or at least, I assume this is a thread about how to pronounce it and not how to spell it. Spelling is obviously Pan Pan. I was taught the pronounciation is Pon Pon, but I've only ever heard Pan Pan on the VHF.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.