Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Crew Archives (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/)
-   -   Crew Available: 2 girls looking for a ride from australia to mexico or usa (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/2-girls-looking-for-a-ride-from-australia-to-mexico-or-usa-97414.html)

manustrack 03-02-2013 16:56

2 girls looking for a ride from australia to mexico or usa

hello

we are two girls, me french 31 and my friend 25 from quebec, no experienced on sailboat but very happy to learn and help (sailing, cook, nanny, teacher, ...etc)

we would like to leave australia soon and be in mexico before half april , (we are invited to a wedding in mexico)

we are happy travellers, love nature and people....but please don't expect relationship or stuff like that thanks :)

thanks in advance for any advice or informations !!!

Jim Cate 03-02-2013 17:21

Re: 2 girls looking for a ride from australia to mexico or usa

Quote:

Originally Posted by manustrack (Post 1147506)
hello

we are two girls, me french 31 and my friend 25 from quebec, no experienced on sailboat but very happy to learn and help (sailing, cook, nanny, teacher, ...etc)

we would like to leave australia soon and be in mexico before half april , (we are invited to a wedding in mexico)

we are happy travellers, love nature and people....but please don't expect relationship or stuff like that thanks :)

thanks in advance for any advice or informations !!!

Girls, I think that you are very unlikely to find such a ride on your time schedule. In case you hadn't noticed, it is the most active part of the cyclone season in the South Pacific, and it isn't considered "over" until April. Prudent sailors (the kind that you would be safe travelling with) wouldn't even leave Oz much before then.

Further, most yachts traveling in that direction from Oz don't end up in Mexico.

Better think of another plan if you are to get to the wedding!

Sorry to bear bad news...

Jim

boatman61 03-02-2013 17:36

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Teknav 03-02-2013 17:39

Consider getting to your destination by Cargo Ships. Many of them, carry passengers for a small fee, when cabin space is available. While they are not luxurious, and do not follow a strict schedule these ships are adequate and comfortable for travel. The food on board is usually exceptional, but do not expect too many amenities. Do a search on the net, then contact a few for the best way to your destination. Ce n'est pas grave, et vous pouvez faire ce trajet sur bateau au lieu d'un voilier. A bientot! Mauritz

Vasco 03-02-2013 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1147537)
Consider getting to your destination by Cargo Ships. Many of them, carry passengers for a small fee, when cabin space is available. While they are not luxurious, and do not follow a strict schedule these ships are adequate and comfortable for travel. The food on board is usually exceptional, but do not expect too many amenities. Do a search on the net, then contact a few for the best way to your destination. Ce n'est pas grave, et vous pouvez faire ce trajet sur bateau au lieu d'un voilier. A bientot! Mauritz

Actually travelling by freighters is now more expensive than cruise ships. Although if you're friendly with the skipper you might be able to sign on as a supernumerary. :)

GrowleyMonster 04-02-2013 06:37

I have been going to sea my whole life, mostly on ships, and the ONLY ship where there were passengers was a cruise ship. Traveling by freighter is VERY rare these days. Only a few companies do it now, none under U.S. flag.

As Jim says, the timetable does not look good for hitching a ride on a sailboat from Oz to Mexico. I think you are just gonna have to save your money and spring for a plane ticket.

sww914 04-02-2013 07:15

Most boats go the other way around the globe, from East to West.

manustrack 07-02-2013 17:58

thanks everybody for your answers...

Khagan1227 07-02-2013 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by manustrack (Post 1150890)
thanks everybody for your answers...

Good question though, besides you wouldn't know unless you asked!