Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Anchor Chain Hook Poll (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/anchor-chain-hook-poll-95248.html)

Cotemar 31-12-2012 17:48

Anchor Chain Hook Poll

12 Attachment(s)
What are you using as an Anchor Chain Hook ?

I have been using a Winchard Key Shackle 5/16 on my bridal for 4 years now.
It is connected to my 5/16 High Tensile G4 chain. Has never disconnected and it's simple and fast to use.
I have been looking for something a little beefier.

Tried the Eye Grab Hook, but it kept falling off. Game over
Tried the Captain Hook, but it bent a bit and kept falling off. Game over
Tried the Wichard Chain Grip Hook, but bent the retaining pin. Game over

Just purchased a Mantus Stainless Steel 5/16 Chain Hook. Its beefy and simple and fast to use.

https://mantusanchors.com/mantus-chain-hook/

evm1024 31-12-2012 17:52

Re: Anchor Chain Hook Poll

Should be an interesting thread. I am in the market for a chain hook and stopper. The more comments I read the better a purchase I'll be able to make.

Paperbird 31-12-2012 17:53

Is there a poll here?

I use the old fashioned rolling hitch to connect snubber to chain.

Morgan3820 31-12-2012 17:54

I use a Kong captive pin chain shackle. I like it a lot. Wish that I could get another but they are no longer made/imported.

Mike OReilly 31-12-2012 18:00

1 Attachment(s)
I went to this hook from a Winchard. It does slip off if you don't set it properly, but it goes on and off a lot easier, and appears very beefy.

We have the 3/8" version.

Victory

nigel1 31-12-2012 18:02

One of these for the past couple of years

https://www.bosunslockerchandlery.co....in_gripper.jpg
No problems with it, easy to fit and remove

sailorboy1 31-12-2012 18:03

I have a Capitan Hook and an Eye Grab and voted for each. But I reall use the Eye Hook wen anchored mostly.

Cotemar 31-12-2012 18:04

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan3820 (Post 1118867)
I use a Kong captive pin chain shackle. I like it a lot. Wish that I could get another but they are no longer made/imported.

Is this what a Kong captive pin chain shackle looks like?

daddle 31-12-2012 18:10

Eye-Grab Hook because it does fall off. Makes retrieval much easier. Only a klutz would let it become unhooked during deployment. :popcorn:

onestepcsy37 31-12-2012 18:12

don't like the looks of the wichard key shackle you're using. in a severe pull it's possible to bend that pin and then you may not be able to free it.

i used to use the wichard chain grip hook but the little spring loaded pin flew out one day and now it's not any better than the much cheaper eye grab hook.

that's what i've been using the last few years, although my eye grab hook is galvanized and not stainless like the one in your photo. the main problem with it is that in violent shaking it could easily come off the chain. i mitigate that somewhat by leaving a good heavy loop of chain between the chain hook and the bow roller.

i used to use a rolling hitch years ago but because of my present bow setup it's a royal pita to do; much easier to use a hook.

that mantus hook looks nice. anybody have experience with it?

cfarrar 31-12-2012 18:13

A 3/8" Amsteel strop via a Kleimheist hitch or for convenience a Victory chain hook, which exerts a symmetrical pull and doesn't come off very easily: available at Pride Marine.

Morgan3820 31-12-2012 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotemar (Post 1118875)
Is this what a Kong captive pin chain shackle looks like?

Yes, it is. Do you know where I can get one?

Cotemar 31-12-2012 18:35

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan3820 (Post 1118892)
Yes, it is. Do you know where I can get one?

Yes, its also called a Seadog Chain Gripper

Google

Cotemar 31-12-2012 18:43

Everyone that votes for "Other"
Can you tell me what Other Anchor Chain Hook you are using?

Cotemar 31-12-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 (Post 1118879)
don't like the looks of the wichard key shackle you're using. in a severe pull it's possible to bend that pin and then you may not be able to free it.

i used to use the wichard chain grip hook but the little spring loaded pin flew out one day and now it's not any better than the much cheaper eye grab hook.

that's what i've been using the last few years, although my eye grab hook is galvanized and not stainless like the one in your photo. the main problem with it is that in violent shaking it could easily come off the chain. i mitigate that somewhat by leaving a good heavy loop of chain between the chain hook and the bow roller.

i used to use a rolling hitch years ago but because of my present bow setup it's a royal pita to do; much easier to use a hook.

that mantus hook looks nice. anybody have experience with it?

I am with you on the Wichard key shackle being on the small side.
Have used it upto 38 knots so far and over 4 years it has a slight bend on the pin, but it opens and closes the same. Just wish they made one size larger.

Will let you know how the New Mantus Chain Hook works, since I will be using it this comming season.