Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Whine from Paradise (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/whine-from-paradise-93485.html)

callistov42 25-11-2012 13:45

Whine from Paradise

My wife and I got to our boat in St Martin yesterday to find a mess. One of the cheap plastic hose inlet fittings to my Jabsco bilge pump had broken (again) and sprayed salt water all over engine room.

Guy who checks on my boat when I am off island caught it but not before it ran for a several days *soaking A LOT! My digital regulator is a lump of corrosion. The electrical connector block for all the pumps is a big green mass! I will give Jabsco credit for this, the pumps are still running!

OK, I know I am whining from paradise but that fitting is a proprietary Jabsco part and they don't make in brass or stainless or something stronger than these light duty plastic fittings. I realize improved engineering and isolation on my part is preferable but on a 42' blue water boat you put things where they will fit!*

S/V Illusion 25-11-2012 14:21

Re: Whine from Paradise

Just curious -
1.where was a plastic fitting from a bilge pump located so as to soak the engine?
2. since it did this before, did that tell you anything?
3. what did you do to repair it the last time it broke?

River Cruiser 25-11-2012 20:24

What is leaking into the boat causing the pump to cycle on? That is the 2nd thing that needs to be fixed.

callistov42 28-11-2012 10:43

Sorry for the delay in responding, we have been out sailing around St Bart's.
First to answer Illusioni:
George Stadle designed the Vagabond 42 with a pump shelf forward of the engine, up under the companionway steps.
I have fixed the same problem several times over the past 17 years (we have owned this boat a long time) but a fitting has never just cracked so that salt water misted all over everything!
Lesson learned... The Jabsco pumps days may be numbered.
Anyone want to suggest a better stand alone (not submerseable) bilge pump?

To answer River Cruiser, the dripless packing gland was not living up to its name and was dripping.

All is now fixed, we are safely ensconced in the inner harbor at Gustavia (maybe my favorite place in the world) and life is GREAT!

lateral 28-11-2012 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by S/V Illusion (Post 1092967)
Just curious -
1.where was a plastic fitting from a bilge pump located so as to soak the engine?

+1.
No one is exempt of the dos principle. Besides whining from paradise
just incites Murphy so you are a brave (or stupid) sailor.

River Cruiser 28-11-2012 17:40

"Dripless shaft seal" another great idea that doesn't always perform as well as older tech that cost much less. Better at sucking $$$$ out of your pocket than keeping a bilge dry;-)

Auzzee 28-11-2012 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion https://cdn.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s/viewpost.gif
Just curious -

+1.
No one is exempt of the dos principle. Besides whining from paradise
just incites Murphy so you are a brave (or stupid) sailor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Some unpleasant inferences there! Theorists also goof occasionally.

highseas 28-11-2012 19:38

Not too happy with Jabscos macerator with brass studs holding housing together.My last one lasted 2 years before corrosion melts the stud,resulting in a stinky leaky pump.For bilgepump,I use a remote Flojet.

sww914 29-11-2012 11:07

What stress is there on the fitting that it keeps breaking?

Cheechako 29-11-2012 11:16

But at least it's a French Whine! Are you saying this pump is above the sump and sucks thru a hose? BTW, I would fresh rinse and scrub the whole engine etc.....

barnakiel 29-11-2012 11:38

The plastic fittings are normally designed to be mounted so that there is no side load. Pretty difficult to achieve in tight spaces.

Alas, you can get higher grade pumps in metal, the challenge will be to fit them in the existing space (or else find an alternative location).

BTW Not clear why you have bilge pumps in the engine room. Ours are in the bilge.

b.

foolishsailor 29-11-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Cruiser (Post 1095659)
"Dripless shaft seal" another great idea that doesn't always perform as well as older tech that cost much less. Better at sucking $$$$ out of your pocket than keeping a bilge dry;-)

We have had a manecraft (deep sea seal) on our last three boats - a total of 14 years and XX thousands of miles. Never a spot of bother or leaking or trouble. Not sure your statement supports the industry facts...

Cheechako 29-11-2012 11:56

Plenty of complaints on this forum about dripless seals over the years. Then again, everything has complaints... it's the internet!