Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Boat names, and the side which you sit. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/boat-names-and-the-side-which-you-sit-93009.html)

propellanttech 17-11-2012 11:42

Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
I didn't want to start a poll, it's very impersonal.

Which side of the fence do you take on naming a boat.

Are you a proper naming debutant? (Princess Swan)

Or are you a rebel, and going to do it your way? (My Dixie Wrecked......and yes this is a registered name.....if you don't get it.....read it aloud to your friend/spouse)

Or do you not choose sides? (Sea Sharp)


We have had a hard time thinking about this (spouse and I). I don't have a boat yet, but have started thinking about names.

We tend to be rebels, but wouldn't go as far as the rebel example. We do not want to have a name which someone would have to explain or sidetrack their child. We have discussed something that would be quite funny though.

Your thoughts?

James L

sailorboy1 17-11-2012 11:53

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
we named our first boat after ourselves , D&D for Don & Dana

we named our current boat for fun and as a pun - Rubber Ducky

Ti' Punch 17-11-2012 11:55

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
We inherited our boat name from the previous owner who had inherited it from the original owner. It's not a name we would have chosen in a million years, but PO made a compelling argument for keeping it. The name has grown on us over the years. If I were to name a boat from scratch, I would name it after my wife.

clifford sloan 17-11-2012 12:06

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by propellanttech (Post 1086881)
I didn't want to start a poll, it's very impersonal.

Which side of the fence do you take on naming a boat.

Are you a proper naming debutant? (Princess Swan)

Or are you a rebel, and going to do it your way? (My Dixie Wrecked......and yes this is a registered name)

Or do you not choose sides? (Sea Sharp)


We have had a hard time thinking about this (spouse and I). I don't have a boat yet, but have started thinking about names.

We tend to be rebels, but wouldn't go as far as the rebel example. We do not want to have a name which someone would have to explain or sidetrack their child. We have discussed something that would be quite funny though.

Your thoughts?

James L

One of my diesel powerboats was named "Thor" (God of thunder) and the dinghy was named "Thor Behind"
All the best,
Clif

rhr1956 17-11-2012 12:13

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
I did name mine after my wife. "Geez Louise"

Hydra 17-11-2012 12:32

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
I kept the name given by the previous owner (Hydra) because I couln't find a better one at the time. Now, I have found the name for my next boat, if I have one some day.

Alain

Seaworthy Lass 17-11-2012 12:44

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Traditionalists here - didn't rename the boat we bought.

I must say one of the most unusual names I have come across was "Windigo" - the yacht that was recently abandoned in the storm between Tonga and NZ. The name means "cannibalistic, supernatural being of great spiritual power associated with coldness, famine and starvation".
What was the owner thinking???

Thumbs Up 17-11-2012 12:53

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Quote:

We tend to be rebels, but wouldn't go as far as the rebel example. We do not want to have a name which someone would have to explain or sidetrack their child. We have discussed something that would be quite funny though.
My old boat was named Rebel. I didn't name her, the builder did. I would never have changed the name. I was not a fan of changing boat names (bad luck?) But did not like the name that our Hitchhiker cat came with (ZAKAT). We figured Thumbs Up would be appropriate. I guess I like boat names that don't have to be preceded with the word "the" to sound right. Rebel was never "the" Rebel, just Rebel. My advice is to wait and see if you like the name that your boat comes with. Then decide. Picking a name now would be like saying "I am going to get a dog someday and name him Rover" What if you get the dog and he looks more like a "Spot" or a "Fido"

Tori 17-11-2012 13:19

Renamed ours "Knot Looking Back" signaling a start of a new life :-)

Lajos 17-11-2012 13:29

My first boat was "Le Tabarnak", second one was le "K-Lisse".... You have to be a quebeker to get it, boaters would literally make a detour to avoid getting eye contact after reading the name... Next boat will be more conventional, got to keep it clean if I want to charter...

RaySea Lady 17-11-2012 13:44

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lajos (Post 1086949)
My first boat was "Le Tabarnak", second one was le "K-Lisse".... You have to be a quebeker to get it, boaters would literally make a detour to avoid getting eye contact after reading the name... Next boat will be more conventional, got to keep it clean if I want to charter...

Looks like your next one may be "Ssti":whistling:

cfarrar 17-11-2012 13:46

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
It depends on the boat.

A Concordia needs a traditional name.
A Bayliner begs for a rebel name.
Most production cruising boats can lean either direction, your choice.

Stumble 17-11-2012 13:51

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
We tend to name boats in numerous ways after ourselves. So right now we have

Mixed Nutz (if you knew the family it works well)
So Far (long but funny family story)

In the past:
Stuff (heavy cruiser, poking fun at all the junk we had onboard) with the dinghy named Extra Storage
Luna-Sea
Chutzpah - racing sailboat named for our starts


Just remember do you really want a boat name you will have to call for help from the coast guard with?

propellanttech 17-11-2012 13:59

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumbs Up (Post 1086924)
My old boat was named Rebel. I didn't name her, the builder did. I would never have changed the name. I was not a fan of changing boat names (bad luck?) But did not like the name that our Hitchhiker cat came with (ZAKAT). We figured Thumbs Up would be appropriate. I guess I like boat names that don't have to be preceded with the word "the" to sound right. Rebel was never "the" Rebel, just Rebel. My advice is to wait and see if you like the name that your boat comes with. Then decide. Picking a name now would be like saying "I am going to get a dog someday and name him Rover" What if you get the dog and he looks more like a "Spot" or a "Fido"

I view a boat name is a reflection of the owners, not necessarily the boat itself. A boat is an inanimate object to which we animate. Her looks do play a part, but I also know what we are looking for, so we basically know what looks she will have.

Remember we (or I at least) tend to lean towards the rebel side of naming which doesn't necessarily follow the "rules" of boat naming.

James L

The Garbone 17-11-2012 14:13

Re: Boat names, and the side which you sit.
 
Our current boat had its current name when we purchased, it is our first boat and aptly named. Plan on getting it painted and may rename it after the wife. If we keep the name I plan on naming the ding "Knot in a Clew".


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.