Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   The Library (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f127/)
-   -   Luke Powell's new book Working Sail. Building and sailing trad. pilot cutters (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f127/luke-powells-new-book-working-sail-building-and-sailing-trad-pilot-cutters-92185.html)

Aftstarboard 03-11-2012 04:01

Luke Powell's new book Working Sail. Building and sailing trad. pilot cutters

Well, this was a promised birthday present and it arrived this morning. It is absolutely mouth watering, heart warming and inspiring. Starting with a ringing endorsement in a foreword from Tom Cunliffe: it is part auto-biography from Luke Powell and part boatyard story and partly about sailing the small ships themselves.
I've nearly lost the whole morning. This will be a very welcome Christmas present for you and yours. Wouldn't be surprised if some of you get two! lol

Now, how to own my own pilot cutter???
That's a way off yet (and don't tell me Ezra is for sale, few years too soon for my plan).
In the meantime, I plan to sail on all of the charterable pilot cutters in UK waters. So far Eve and Annabel J. Plenty more to do and new ones coming on each year: e.g. Eda Fransen for next season.

Sigh, back to the real world.

Mike

atoll 03-11-2012 05:24

Re: Luke Powell's new book Working Sail. Building and sailing trad. pilot cutters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aftstarboard (Post 1075204)
Well, this was a promised birthday present and it arrived this morning. It is absolutely mouth watering, heart warming and inspiring. Starting with a ringing endorsement in a foreword from Tom Cunliffe: it is part auto-biography from Luke Powell and part boatyard story and partly about sailing the small ships themselves.
I've nearly lost the whole morning. This will be a very welcome Christmas present for you and yours. Wouldn't be surprised if some of you get two! lol

Now, how to own my own pilot cutter???
That's a way off yet (and don't tell me Ezra is for sale, few years too soon for my plan).
In the meantime, I plan to sail on all of the charterable pilot cutters in UK waters. So far Eve and Annabel J. Plenty more to do and new ones coming on each year: e.g. Eda Fransen for next season.

Sigh, back to the real world.

Mike

can you post a link for the book,luke keeps his boat a bit further down the wharf from me.
good to see a local boy getting some international recognition:thumb:

Aftstarboard 03-11-2012 07:49

Re: Luke Powell's new book Working Sail. Building and sailing trad. pilot cutters

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll (Post 1075249)
can you post a link for the book,luke keeps his boat a bit further down the wharf from me.
good to see a local boy getting some international recognition:thumb:

Yes, of course.

Here it is: Working Sail Book by Luke Powell

Mike

atoll 03-11-2012 12:07

this is great to hear that plans are afoot for "agnes"

SAIL AGNES 2013

barnakiel 03-11-2012 13:17

Wow. Beautiful boats!

THX for sharing!

barnakiel