Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Mid-Atlantic heat (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/mid-atlantic-heat-84720.html)

chef2sail 06-07-2012 09:59

Re: Mid-Atlantic heat

Gary,

Never mistook your for old or a cogger. Stay safe and out of the heat. We are going to hole up tomorrow when it hits 104, and maybe if it breaks down to 92 on Sunday day sail in the river.

Keep cool.

Ti' Punch 06-07-2012 13:17

We gave up and headed home for a few days until it cools down on Monday. We have a lab-mix that tips the scales at about 110 lbs. She was having a very hard time with the heat during her potty walks. The little portable AC unit was doing okay. It kept the boat temp down to around 83-84 deg F in the main salon. The port and stbd hulls were considerably warmer. Nobody was having much fun and it seemed like it might be getting dangerous for the pets. We have the slip for a couple more weeks before we bring the boat back home, so we'll give it another try next week. Everybody stay safe and drink lots of water.

ShaunJ 06-07-2012 13:35

One again, we picked the hottest week for our cruise. Last year it was 103F this time its even hotter. I am now in Baltimore at Harbor East, chillin in the boat with the AC running full blast and the cabin is 88F. The family went for a walk and I passed with an excuse about having to adjust the whatyamacallit.

DeepFrz 06-07-2012 14:02

Y'all should head on up to Newfoundland/Labrador.

Travlin-Easy 06-07-2012 14:05

Wise decision, Shaun. The boat should get a lot cooler when the sun goes down. While you're waiting, mix a Green Coconut Margaretta, prop your feet up, turn on the flat-screen and try to remember what the heck a whatyamacallit is. ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

Amapola 09-07-2012 11:38

It is in the 90's in SW Florida.

Astrid 09-07-2012 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepFrz (Post 985078)
Y'all should head on up to Newfoundland/Labrador.

Indeed. It's about 60F where I am, and overcast. This is practically a heat wave here.

Travlin-Easy 09-07-2012 16:59

Many, many years ago I worked in Saint Johns, Newfoundland during the month of December. I thought I would freeze to death, and when I got back to town everyone in the local bar was saying how mild the winter was that year. My idea of winter changed over the years, the older I got the colder I got, and the only snow-white substance I want to see during the dead of winter is the sand beneath the palm trees in the lower, Florida Keys. :) At 71 years of age I have developed a new rule - "Never expose your body to a temperature lower than your age!" 71 degrees f seems just about right to me. ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool: