Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Crew Archives (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/)
-   -   Crew Available: Calling All Florida Captains/Skippers (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/calling-all-florida-captains-skippers-83221.html)

nitsud01 07-06-2012 08:26

Calling All Florida Captains/Skippers

Calling All Florida Captains/Skippers,

I am looking to crew for free + expenses! (of course, paid offers will also be considered ;))

Details:
- Current Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
- Ideal Task: Sailboat Delivery, Sailboat Race, anything involving sailing a sailboat really
- Ideal Duration: Weekend trips sound awesome, but I can go up to 2 weeks or more depending on the situation
- Ideal Date: no sooner than July, but anytime after is gravy
- Travel: Sure, but I’ll need some help with travel expenses

My “Water” Resume:
- Member: ISAF (International Sailing Federation)
- Course Completed: Introductory Sailing Course (Usail)
- Course Completed: Introductory Sail Trim Course (NauticEd)
- Course Completed: 24-Hour Boating Safety Course (BoatUS)
- Boater Education ID Card: Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (State of Florida)
- License: Freshwater/Saltwater Fishing License (State of Florida) (Current through June 2013)
- Multiple Awards: Competitive Swimmer/Water Polo Player for over 10 years
- Proficiencies: Surfing, Skiing, Wakeboarding
- Record: Currently hold this month’s record in the NauticEd Sail Trim Sailing Simulator

I have very little hands-on experience with different sailboats, but I learned on the a classic catalina centerboard model and feel I am a natural. Over the past 12 months, I have studied dozens of sailing videos, taken introductory courses, completed several case studies on sea survival, and accumulated all the accreditation I think is needed to prove I’m serious about sailing. I am planning a caribbean cruise for 2014 and am currently studying for a 6-Pac Captains License, so I have basic/novice knowledge of the following:
- Rules of the Road
- Orienteering/Piloting/Navigation
- Radio Comm
- Marlinspike Seamanship

I need time on the water to get this license, so I would be willing to work for the experience (any expenses being covered would be nice). I am a friendly 27yo software/systems engineer with a strong back and an iron will. I am not the quickest man in the room, but I am a genius of hard work. Let me know how I can help you.

P.S. I am a US citizen with a valid passport, so I can go anywhere, as long as you have a plan to get me back home :)

Cheers,

Dustin Johnson --- dustinjohnson.info

nitsud01 11-06-2012 06:45

Re: Calling All Florida Captains/Skippers

:) bump :)

speedoo 11-06-2012 08:44

Sometime down the road, very possible, but not ready to go just yet. I will stay in touch.

nitsud01 11-06-2012 12:23

That sounds great speedoo! It would be an honor to crew alongside someone so active in the cruising community.

Jack Little 13-06-2012 18:17

I need a crew now. Key West to Isla Mujeres, then Belize and Guatamala.
Are you ready.

nitsud01 18-06-2012 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Little (Post 970185)
I need a crew now. Key West to Isla Mujeres, then Belize and Guatamala.
Are you ready.

Jack,

Please see private message. Thanks for the interest!

Dustin

nitsud01 27-06-2012 07:58

Update: I have received several offers for longer trips. This is going to be more feasible for me towards the end of this year. Until then, weekend round-trips or weeklong round-trips would be easier for me to manage and would be less disruptive to my business.

I check my email multiple times every day (hooked up to my iphone), so please do not hesitate to ask me any questions!

Thanks!

Dustin Johnson

dustinjohnson.info