Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   The Sailor's Confessional (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f108/)
-   -   "Ain't No Such Thing as One Anchor in the Key West Channel" (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f108/aint-no-such-thing-as-one-anchor-in-the-key-west-channel-79288.html)

S/V Blondie-Dog 29-03-2012 05:07

"Ain't No Such Thing as One Anchor in the Key West Channel"

Be sure to set out more than just one anchor if anchoring in the Key West Channel... for if ya don't, it's a sure thing that you will find yourself drifting in the middle of the night... uh-oh!

Cruising aboard S/V Blondie-Dog: An Early Morning Oh Crap Moment...

Ram 29-03-2012 05:48

Re: "Ain't No Such Thing as One Anchor in the Key West Channel"

that depends on what anchor set up you have there!!

ReMetau 29-03-2012 05:57

I don't anchor in the channel, but I have anchored off of Flemming quite successfully with my single Bruce.

Dulcesuenos 29-03-2012 06:01

Don your Bruce would hold a small cruise ship lol,,,, We made it to the entrance of the NW channel at 2:00am wife made me drop anchor a few 100 yards SW of the Nun buoy as we were exhausted.
Took over an hour to get our anchor unstuck.

capngeo 29-03-2012 06:23

So nice to see my Google Earth Map in your blog!

Too bad you didn't let me know... I have a bullet-proof mooring just north of Christmas (Whisteria) Island that you could have used

S/V Blondie-Dog 29-03-2012 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by capngeo (Post 918711)
So nice to see my Google Earth Map in your blog!

Too bad you didn't let me know... I have a bullet-proof mooring just north of Christmas (Whisteria) Island that you could have used

Hope you don't mind sharing the map... I added the following caption in any event.

"Google Map of Key West courtesy of Capngeo aboard "Happy Days". Let me know if you prefer that I delete the map from the posting. :confused:

donradcliffe 29-03-2012 08:49

When the wind goes against the tide there you will wish that you only had one anchor out as the boat spins in circles and knits your two anchor lines together. However, its got to be a good anchor that can reset easily, and definitely not a danforth type.

Not my favorite anchorage in a norther.

tybee22 29-03-2012 08:49

Hi Blondie-Dog, I'm in the same mooring field, I'll have to do a tour and look for you. I am on the old Prout 31 " Drogonfly" out towards the far end of the field. We have most likly walked right by each other at the dinghy dock. Give me a shout out.... maybe have a sundowner together sometime.

RabidRabbit 29-03-2012 09:19

Most of the boats off Fleming with 2 or 3 anchors are junk that drag around when the weather picks up. The crusiers are easy to spot, chain rode, rope snubber, and clean bottom. If you put 200' rode and a 50# anchor you should be ok. Danforths dont work real well for tide change and strong current. I'm anchored here and have 55# delta & 200' 3/8 chain, about 440 lbs of ground tackle. I feel my 55# is a bit smallish and plan to upgrade to 60-80# spade style (manson galv). Cuban joes has a 85# danforth style for $200 that would make a ok semi -mooring. Little big for deck storage on a smaller boat, its got a 4' shank. Is that anchor in old town really free or is it part of a nautical garden display. I have a real CQR 25# for sale if you want. Much better than a danforth.

AnchorageGuy 29-03-2012 10:11

We have anchored there a number of times with only one anchor and never had an issue. It does depend on a lot of factors, more than just one anchor. Chuck

S/V Blondie-Dog 30-03-2012 04:39

Hello Tybee... sundowner sounds like a swell idea.. I'm presently loitering about at my lady-friends house up in Marco but will be sure to give a shout out when I drive back on down to KW later next week!

TomM 31-03-2012 15:42

No pictures of the other boat's first mate in her white uniform?

S/V Blondie-Dog 02-04-2012 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomM (Post 920770)
No pictures of the other boat's first mate in her white uniform?

Of course I gots pictures!! But dey all be imprinted insides my brain... Sorry dat I wont's be able to share any of dem though.:)

SaltHeart 09-05-2012 10:39

I know the area well and have met many cruisers that anchor there. I have yet to meet a single one that would only set one anchor anywhere in the that channel,near fleming or by wisteria. My humble opinion is that I would surely set 2 anchors. I prefer a cqr and a bruce. Once again just my opinion.

rtbates 09-05-2012 10:57

especially if it's a danforth type..windshifts/current reversals are it's weak link..