Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Lagoon Catamarans (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f139/)
-   -   410: Diesel Fuel Cap Tool (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f139/diesel-fuel-cap-tool-78495.html)

captngrs 14-03-2012 05:15

Diesel Fuel Cap Tool

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find the diesel cap removal tool? I dropped mine overboard while refueling in Atlantic City and watched the current sweep it away, needless to say I wasn't happy. Not easy removing the filler cap without the special star shaped tool. I now use an old pair of needle nose pliers and a stout screwdriver. Not very pretty but at least it works.
Thanks!

atoll 14-03-2012 05:22

Re: Diesel fuel cap tool

the star shaped recess will normally be the same as the end of a sheet winch handle! on a sailing yacht that has winches

captngrs 14-03-2012 05:37

Unfortunately on my 98 Lagoon this is not the case. That was the first thing I tried.
Thanks for the quick reply.
gary

Jim Woodall 14-03-2012 13:53

Try a spanner wrench. West Marine sells one made by Groco. It's a very useful tool on any boat. You will find many uses for it when other tools just don't work. In the photo on the West Marine site it may not look like much, but it will easily open your diesel fill cap and will handle virtually any fill cap configuration on any boat. Go look at one in person and you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

captain465 14-03-2012 14:12

Seems logical that contacting Lagoon or a dealer directly would result in some success. If not, get a replacement cap with a more common type of opening configuration.....either a deck key or a winch handle.

Gelfling 14-03-2012 14:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by captain465 (Post 908751)
Seems logical that contacting Lagoon or a dealer directly would result in some success. If not, get a replacement cap with a more common type of opening configuration.....either a deck key or a winch handle.

I would agree. All else fails I can just use a screw driver.

This is my holding cap...but all the caps are the same.

Hyprdrv 23-03-2012 04:44

Re: Diesel Fuel Cap Tool

Take a look at Ebay for a BMW wiper socket bit (Tork T80H) for $16. My 2004 410 also had a "different" cap so this might be what your looking for. Works great in a socket wrench.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE

GordMay 23-03-2012 04:52

1 Attachment(s)
Would this Universal Deck Fill Key work?
SeaDog Universal Stainless Deck Fill Key - Seadog Line 335690-1 - iboats

delmarrey 23-03-2012 04:55

How many points on the star?
A piece of square stock or an Allen (hex) wrench might work.

Cotemar 23-03-2012 04:55

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Groco Spanner wrench that West Marine sells.

Hyprdrv 23-03-2012 05:48

You would think the cap would be "standardized". We just proved that it's not and can very quite a lot. Even the "Star" type can very from rounded point to sharp point. Mine had 6 points rounded and the Tork Bit "T80H" fit perfect. The replacement from a boat shop was almost $80. No holes for the Groco or slots for a screwdriver. I do like the can opener on the Sea Dog!

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE