Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   CBS Documentary on Missing Sailor (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/cbs-documentary-on-missing-sailor-76193.html)

S/V Alchemy 04-02-2012 15:50

CBS Documentary on Missing Sailor
 
I stumbled across this (as one does) on YouTube. Apparently, it's airing this evening (Sat. Feb. 4) on CBS's 48 Hours.

Sneak peek: The Dark Side of Paradise - YouTube

I won't be able to watch it, but does anyone know the real story? Is it set in Indonesia?

Thanks.

colemj 04-02-2012 16:20

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
No, the San Blas islands in Panama. This was an unfortunate incident last year with two cruisers being killed by a person operating an illegal business running people from Columbia to Panama. He lost his boat on a reef and killed two others for their boats to continue his operation.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude (scroll down a bit)

Mark

captain465 04-02-2012 16:23

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Why would you think Indonesia, when "Caribbean" is mentioned and "Panama" is shown clearly in the video???

S/V Alchemy 04-02-2012 21:28

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Because they mentioned pirates and the short shots of the people in the canoe looked vaguely Indonesian to me. There aren't a lot of Meso-Amerindians in downtown Toronto for me to judge.

S/V Alchemy 04-02-2012 21:30

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 879684)
No, the San Blas islands in Panama. This was an unfortunate incident last year with two cruisers being killed by a person operating an illegal business running people from Columbia to Panama. He lost his boat on a reef and killed two others for their boats to continue his operation.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude (scroll down a bit)

Mark

Thanks, that clears it up. It reminds me a bit of the case where the Canadian sailor was shot in front of his niece in, I think, Guatemala.

red_sky 04-02-2012 21:56

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
That trailer is just tripe and the latitude38 link is not working for me for some reason. Any other non-FOX/CNN-sensationalist-docudrama style info on this? Curious.

msponer 04-02-2012 22:19

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by red_sky (Post 879857)
That trailer is just tripe and the latitude38 link is not working for me for some reason. Any other non-FOX/CNN-sensationalist-docudrama style info on this? Curious.

Hi, there's a whole bunch on Panama Guide. I believe the gentleman in the video is the same guy who did the investigative reporting and wrote the articles for that site.

A notable article:
Additional Details On The Death of Douglas Gene Michalowski in Panama - Panama Guide

red_sky 04-02-2012 22:25

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by msponer (Post 879862)
Hi, there's a whole bunch on Panama Guide. I believe the gentleman in the video is the same guy who did the investigative reporting and wrote the articles for that site.

A notable article:
Additional Details On The Death of Douglas Gene Michalowski in Panama - Panama Guide

Gracias!

S/V Alchemy 05-02-2012 11:25

Re: CBS doc on missing sailor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by red_sky (Post 879857)
That trailer is just tripe and the latitude38 link is not working for me for some reason. Any other non-FOX/CNN-sensationalist-docudrama style info on this? Curious.

Frankly, the "tripe" factor is what prompted the initial query. It looked like "reality show" production values, with lots of time-eating repetition and rhetorical speculation, which frankly I don't care about.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:18.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.