Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Crew Archives (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/)
-   -   Crew Wanted: Bi or Gay Crew Wanted (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f138/bi-or-gay-crew-wanted-74439.html)

shorebird2 08-01-2012 19:44

Bi or Gay Crew Wanted

I am now in Key Wes. I will be sailing the west coast of Fl,then Al, Ms, La, TX, then may go on to central america. This is a no rush trip. Shorebird is a westerly warwick, twin bilge keels and draws 2'10" but yet is a blue water cruiser. You need to be able to cook and stand watch, if you have no sailling experience I will teach you. Call me at 561.255.0889

GordMay 09-01-2012 05:22

Re: Bi or Gay crew wanted

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shorebird2.

hummingway 10-01-2012 23:37

Some of you may notice this thread got suddenly shorter. You may also note that this is the crew wanted forum; an excellent place to post if you are interested in crewing on this journey.

An excellent forum to discuss westerly warwicks would be the monohull forum and I would encourage one of you to start a thread there.

wolfenzee 12-01-2012 15:36

I am basically in the same boat myself, but on the west coast. I have crew as far as Alameda,CA next June, but am looking for a crew member for an open ended cruise (no set time or place) with all provided by me. I am in a 30" Atkin cutter, a proven ocean cruiser. As we are on opposite coasts we are not competing for crew, but are looking for the same ting in a crew member.. Anyone who wants to contact me feel free to do so trough SF e-mail

wolfenzee 12-01-2012 17:01

Thank you for opening a thread on a topic I have long wanted to and/or applies to my present situation.

justwaiting 12-01-2012 18:41

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like a great opportunity for someone to follow the advice so often given here to sail on OP boats as a first step towards a cruising future. Good luck with your crew search and cruising plans.:thumb:

shorebird2 10-07-2012 15:50

Well I sold the boat on key west and bought a trimaran in San Diego and now looking for new here. Going to spend summer shaking her down doing mostly coastal then decide to go west to Australia or south to brazil

wolfenzee 10-07-2012 19:17

Re: Bi or Gay Crew Wanted

My time schedule got set back so am planning arrive in that part of the world in early Sept. I hope to be able to find a long distance/term crew there.

David_Old_Jersey 11-07-2012 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorebird2 (Post 987934)
Well I sold the boat on key west and bought a trimaran in San Diego and now looking for new here. Going to spend summer shaking her down doing mostly coastal then decide to go west to Australia or south to brazil

A few pics of the boat might help tempt crew onboard - well, that sort of thing works for me!

Piglet 11-07-2012 13:25

Male or female crew? Or does it matter as long as they are bi or gay?

zooplax 11-07-2012 18:05

Hey i may be interested pm me with more details. Thx

marblehead 12-07-2012 18:20

I keep wondering what would happen if I clicked on the image below :)

Ocean Girl 12-07-2012 19:14

Welcome to cruisers forum :)
Hope you all find your crew, be safe.
Cheers,
Mrs. Rain Dog

Tranquilo 12-07-2012 20:45

I'm a lesbian and I like chicks, does that count as bi?

wolfenzee 12-07-2012 21:13

My boat and sailing to the tropics is only part of my dream...shareing the dream and giving someone else the chance to experience it with me is the other part. I want to find a guy I can develop as close bond with...is finding someone to sail off into the tropical sunset to much to ask. The whole point is to get away from the "sociologically constricted, emotionally constipated, cultural bubble" that the US has become. I have a boat and income to support two.

MasterMariner 12-07-2012 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfenzee
My boat and sailing to the tropics is only part of my dream...shareing the dream and giving someone else the chance to experience it with me is the other part. I want to find a guy I can develop as close bond with...is finding someone to sail off into the tropical sunset to much to ask. The whole point is to get away from the "sociologically constricted, emotionally constipated, cultural bubble" that the US has become. I have a boat and income to support two.

You could always try burning man if the boat thing doesn't work out.

wolfenzee 12-07-2012 22:07

The boat is the one constant in my plan...it always has been. The details of my crew are merely a embellishment on a life long dream.

anjou 13-07-2012 01:33

Is everyone suddenly coming out?

Just because sailing apeals to a certain demographic doesnt mean the normal human steryotypes wont apply.
Its suggested that 5% of the human population are gay, so im guessing at the current CF membership and would say maybe 4,000 members here are GAY

In the past, I have chatted to several members, male and female who are gay, so I know you are out there.

Happy sailing.

wolfenzee 13-07-2012 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjou (Post 989493)

Just because sailing apeals to a certain demographic doesnt mean the normal human steryotypes wont apply.
Its suggested that 5% of the human population are gay, so im guessing at the current CF membership and would say maybe 4,000 members here are GAY

In the past, I have chatted to several members, male and female who are gay, so I know you are out there.

Happy sailing.

If you are only partially right any only a fraction react to your post I will find it quite refreshing.

David_Old_Jersey 13-07-2012 02:43

Quote:

Happy sailing.

I must confess that I have never asked, or even wondered. I doubt if most people on CF care (and those that do bite their tongues - as we all do on at least some subjects). Hell, I even get confused over which Members are male and which female :rolleyes:.

Anyway, FWIW I am thinking of becoming a Lesbian......:flowers:

hummingway 13-07-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey (Post 989516)
I must confess that I have never asked, or even wondered. I doubt if most people on CF care (and those that do bite their tongues - as we all do on at least some subjects).

Sadly, David, that perception is partly because of the work of the moderators. Of course what the motivation of people who post inappropriately to any thread is I couldn't say.

Quote:

Hell, I even get confused over which Members are male and which female :rolleyes:.

Anyway, FWIW I am thinking of becoming a Lesbian......:flowers:

Hah, the internet! I thought you were, though I wondered why you didn't shave more often! :D

avb3 13-07-2012 11:31

Quote:

Happy sailing.

One can probably assume that the global and Canadian rates on homesexuals is equivalent. I am not aware that the US census tracks sexual orientation. Statistics Canada does with the following results:

The Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS), Cycle 2.1, was the first Statistics Canada survey to include a question on sexual orientation.

1.1% The percentage of Canadians aged 18 to 59 who reported in 2009 that they consider themselves to be homosexual (gay or lesbian).

0.9% The percentage of Canadians aged 18 to 59 who reported in 2009 that they consider themselves to be bisexual.
Based on that widespread and non-biased survey, the commonly quoted 5% and often 10% would be incorrect.

Your supposition of 4000 is likely closer to 900, assuming the same distribution of homosexuals in the sailing community as a subset of the total membership here.

Piglet 13-07-2012 11:35

The Caribbean may not be the best destination....

Caribbean Attitudes Toward Homosexuality Changing, But Violence Toward LGBT People Remains Common | Change.org News

sailorboy1 13-07-2012 13:26

Quote:

I must confess that I have never asked, or even wondered. I doubt if most people on CF care (and those that do bite their tongues - as we all do on at least some subjects). Hell, I even get confused over which Members are male and which female :rolleyes:.

I don't care and always wonder why so many others do.

And I'm not confused about the male/female member thing, 75% of the time I just can not tell because I don't care about that either!

anjou 13-07-2012 14:16

I love these stats. I heard a cracker the other day.

76% of statistics are correct

We will never know the real figure cos not everyone will admit the truth and it better it stays that way. Its like not knowing the date we will die. Life would be ruined if we did

Target9000 13-07-2012 14:19

I have a degree in statistics and let me tell you something...

There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Even if they're technically correct, they're still lies.

sailorboy1 13-07-2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjou (Post 989870)
I love these stats. I heard a cracker the other day.

76% of statistics are correct

23.2% of the time

gettinthere 13-07-2012 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piglet (Post 989795)

Wait, this can't be true. The Carib is Paradise. It's the Evil Empire (USA) that is sooo terrible

David_Old_Jersey 13-07-2012 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by avb3 (Post 989792)
Based on that widespread and non-biased survey, the commonly quoted 5% and often 10% would be incorrect.

According to our last Census I am a Black Jerseyman of Asian Extraction :thumb:.

and I never got to choose a sexual partner - probably something to do with that it is less than 20 years since it stopped being illegal over here.

foolishsailor 13-07-2012 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Target9000 (Post 989874)
I have a degree in statistics and let me tell you something...

There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Even if they're technically correct, they're still lies.

I heard one a little closer to home...

There are lies, damn lies, and then there are Statisticians...

Sad thing is so much is driven by fear...

...you dont hear "red blooded amercian men from the south" moaning about lesbians nearly as much as gay males...funny that :whistling:

Good luck in your quest. I ran an international campaign in SF with a crew of 5 and three were champioon sailors from the Gay Games.

They were brilliant sailors and great fun to be around...

wolfenzee 13-07-2012 22:34

On a boat two guys living together are perceived as just two guys living on a boat...unlike the terrestrial perception of the same circumstance. One of those boat "who gives a toss" things.
Being successful couple on a boat is tough and the gay couples on boats I have seen are shown the same respect as any other couple.

shorebird2 21-07-2012 12:52

Well things have changed a lot. I sold the boats in key west and bought a other Trimaran. Sill could use a crewman or two. Plan now is some coastal then decide go west or south. I'm in San Diego now.

As per your question I would prefer a all male crew plus I think a female would prefer a female crew

wolfenzee 22-07-2012 18:13

Though I eventually want someone to sail into the sunset with, for now I just want someone to sail to SF with, preferably someone to do some sailing with and getting the boat ready in August.

shorebird2 29-07-2012 11:02

What is your time schedule since I'm on the west coast now give me a call 561 255 0889

DenNet 31-07-2012 05:35

Hay!
I will be happy to join you! I'm Bi, not Gay and I'm Chief Officer? working on board of bulkcarriers 40 - 50000 mts DWT.

chas5131 03-09-2012 15:26

Wish I could join either of you. Currently too involved with my mate. Trying to make a sailor of him.

DenNet 04-09-2012 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas5131 (Post 1028183)
Wish I could join either of you. Currently too involved with my mate. Trying to make a sailor of him.

So this could be great! For sure! ))

easydoesit 04-09-2012 15:49

how can i get a hold of you. i would like to learn how to sail. and i would like to take an adventrue by sea. my email is sinitonga1@yahoo.com please contact me. Im in puerto vallarta looking to go tonga.

shorebird2 04-10-2012 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by easydoesit
how can i get a hold of you. i would like to learn how to sail. and i would like to take an adventrue by sea. my email is sinitonga1@yahoo.com please contact me. Im in puerto vallarta looking to go tonga.

I'm now in San Diego, and have bought another Trimaran. I have the Maritime Museum researching her to find out if she is a Piver Encore or a Piver Quest. She was finished in 1985. She is sloop rigged with beefed up rigging.

Going to strip the nasty Green she was painted and back to a nice white.

So anyone just want to go sailing or make the trip to Samoa let me know.

Also is anyone familiar with these two designs.

David_Old_Jersey 04-10-2012 09:55

If any of you guys (and gals) also admire a nicely shaped bucket - then Cruisers & Sailing Forums - The International Bucketeer Squadron! is non-denominational and open to all shapes and sizes :thumb:.