Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   USVI Live Aboard Situation (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/usvi-live-aboard-situation-73139.html)

unbusted67 13-12-2011 17:17

USVI Live Aboard Situation

My fiance is a nurse and was just looking at nursing opportunities in the US Virgin Islands. Strictly hypothetically speaking what would it be like if we went and lived down there for a year? Can you live aboard? What is the coast of living like? Are people generally sour about people washing ashore there?

capngeo 13-12-2011 17:21

Re: USVI Live Aboard Situation

I spent some time in Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas)... I will NOT go back. The people were fine, the government was off the charts!

maytrix 13-12-2011 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by capngeo (Post 837847)
The people were fine, the government was off the charts!

Can you elaborate?

My wife and I have thought the same thing about living aboard. We were thinking more along the lines of St. Croix since its bigger and perhaps more opportunities.

unbusted67 13-12-2011 17:38

Yes pleas elaborate. I was just doing a little Wikipedia-ing and comparing USVI to Martha's Vineyard where I grew up. The population density of the USVI looks to be through the roof. It has roughly the same square mileage of the Vineyard and the same population as the vineyard on an extremely busy day in July.

capngeo 13-12-2011 17:43

The best I can sum it up is the government bureaucracy recognizes locals, transient tourists, and rich people... Everyone else they pretty much ignore or hassle

unbusted67 13-12-2011 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by capngeo (Post 837865)
The best I can sum it up is the government bureaucracy recognizes locals, transient tourists, and rich people... Everyone else they pretty much ignore or hassle

In other words they may not be super accommodating to a seasonal workforce?

justdoit 13-12-2011 18:15

Please let me know what she finds out about nursing opportunities too. We are cruising and I have considered nursing along the way. What needs to be done for the licensing? Would appreciate any info you have. Thanks much.

bobconnie 13-12-2011 18:25

The wife is also an RN and we have thought of this also ! theres s few Travel Nursing Companys that avertise jobs there for 13 week contracts with extensions if wanted !! we have found we can stand most anywhere for 13 weeks LOL as long as its on the water we are pretty happy Bob and Connie

TEE 13-12-2011 18:27

Don't know how you could really live aboard all seasons there. During hurricane season, the only docks I was familiar with was at Sapphire Beach, and they wanted them empty.

capngeo 13-12-2011 18:38

Perhaps if the nursing agency set up things in advance.. dunno. My S/O is also a nurse and she’s been all over the world on travel assignments.

Slips are in short supply in St Thomas... Many “locals” moor out near RedHook. I have buddy that lives there and owned a marina... his boat is on a mooring! What’s that tell you?

unbusted67 13-12-2011 20:57

Living on a mooring in the Caribean doesn't sound that bad.

Hud3 14-12-2011 05:41

My wife did some research on this when we were first thinking about moving to the islands. There are a number of websites and books that have a lot of nitty-gritty info on what to expect and how to plan. Do some Googling and you'll find a lot.

Here are a couple of examples...

VI Moving Center

Settlers' Handbook US Virgin Islands

unbusted67 14-12-2011 10:08

Wow that is incredible. This will be the bible.

S/V Antares 14-12-2011 10:29

Spent a few years there in the 70"s & then in the 80's. Difficult then. Less and less cruiser friendly and not enough sheltered anchorages that arn't way oversubscribed. Better off living on land and having a day boat if you need to go to work every day or so IMHO. Better yet... Work stateside and take 3 months off in the VI in the late spring.

bobconnie 14-12-2011 10:47

I agree, Will & Muffin, there has to be at least a simple mooring availble, and better yet a marina, for us to take the boat there for Travel Nursing jobs. The moneys great but if they can't supply us with moorage in place of there paying for an apartment for us, I think we will pass. ans as said above just vist some time LOL Bob and Connie