Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Dollars & Cents (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/)
-   -   Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/boat-importation-spreadsheet-and-facts-66878.html)

dennisail 24-08-2011 00:27

Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
2 Attachment(s)
Here is the spreadsheet I have been working on based on costs mentioned in all the importation threads. This applies for Australia, but could easily be modified for any country. I was not going to share any files until they were more accurate. But I will never achieve 100% accuracy and I thought by sharing it anyway others could add contributions and corrections more easily.

There is also a file that explains a few issues in more detail. I have written some of it and it also contains quotes from some cruisers forum members and authorities. I am sorry to have lost the names of the people I have quoted. If you recognize your quote I can add your name or delete the quote.

These files are a really a condensed version of all the threads on importation from these forums which would normally require days to read.

Enjoy.

Mr B 24-08-2011 00:52

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Thanks for that, Trying to get info out of customs, Beyond a joke,

TrevC 24-08-2011 01:01

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
They're not there to help you.

Furthermore, they're quite happy to let you overpay if you decide to (like paying duty when you're not obligated to due to AUSFTA)

Mr B 24-08-2011 01:51

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
The free trade agreement says we dont have to pay the 5% duty.
Can only wait and see how they go on that one,
Is it better to come in from Bundaberg or Brisbane, Q port,

TrevC 24-08-2011 02:00

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
So long as you have any sort or proof to show your vessel is US-built, you'll be fine with it. The customs people processing papers know the rules.

I would do Brisbane, simply because the customs and Q guys there probably see more boats and could be faster. Quarantine will have a (very) brief glance around, steal your food, then charge a huge fee. Standard procedure. We could've packed 12 Mexicans in the cockpit lockers and customs/Q would've had no idea.

The Brisbane customs guys were very friendly (and took less than 10 mins total).

Warning: Quarantine charges a huge call-out fee if you show up on a weekend. It was at least $400 more expensive than usual. $600+ total for a guy to come pick up a garbage bag. It's definitely not about protecting our borders, it's about raising revenue.

dennisail 24-08-2011 02:30

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Many boats will not be made in the USA. The notes mention the 5% duty column is not needed if the boat is US made. What countries other than the USA are included in the FTA?

TrevC 24-08-2011 02:32

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Just the USA:

Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA) - Austrade

dennisail 24-08-2011 02:44

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
OK thanks. I thought maybe there were other countries. Will update to only list USA.

Mr B 24-08-2011 03:32

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
I have a bill of sale from the US coast guard register, The seller is a one owner from new,
So I can prove where it was built and its life history on paper,
I will stay out there till a week day, hahahahaha
Thats good info to know,
Plus I have an ABN, So I wonder how they will take the knowledge that the more they tax me, the more the tax office give it back to me as a tax deduction. As cash.

Mr B 24-08-2011 03:34

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
There are other countrys with a FTA, customs do list them, but it is only a few.

TrevC 24-08-2011 03:53

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 758170)
I have a bill of sale from the US coast guard register, The seller is a one owner from new,
So I can prove where it was built and its life history on paper,
I will stay out there till a week day, hahahahaha
Thats good info to know,
Plus I have an ABN, So I wonder how they will take the knowledge that the more they tax me, the more the tax office give it back to me as a tax deduction. As cash.

Well, it takes about 2 minutes for anyone to acquire an ABN. Are you using the boat for purposes relating to the business?

Our accountant advised against using our ABN for anything related to the boat purchase. Sorry, I can't recall more specifics. Essentially it ended up not being worth the hassle, and could flag you for an audit.

downunder 24-08-2011 04:01

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Chile also has a FTA with Aus.

OK if you are in the market for an Awoplast Chris White vessel.

VirtualVagabond 24-08-2011 04:07

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 758170)
I have a bill of sale from the US coast guard register, The seller is a one owner from new,
So I can prove where it was built and its life history on paper,
I will stay out there till a week day, hahahahaha
Thats good info to know,
Plus I have an ABN, So I wonder how they will take the knowledge that the more they tax me, the more the tax office give it back to me as a tax deduction. As cash.

US Coastguard, one owner etc etc is all irrelevant if the boat wasn't actually built in USA.
Unless of course that documentation does in fact prove a USA build.

VirtualVagabond 24-08-2011 04:12

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Some input on the following situation would be helpful.

In the 1980s an American boat building company (Mikelson) imported some hulls from Taiwan, and did the total build/fitout in their factory in USA.

1) Would that be a USA built boat from the FTA perspective?

2) If the hull was numbered in Taiwan, would it make a difference?

TrevC 24-08-2011 04:17

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
You need something like a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin" for the boat.

You also require a "Pre-charged equipment license" from the department of Environment if there's any fridge or other system with refrigerant on board.

dennisail 24-08-2011 04:24

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevC (Post 758195)
You need something like a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin" for the boat.

You also require a "Pre-charged equipment license" from the department of Environment if there's any fridge or other system with refrigerant on board.

Thanks. I have that covered in my docs I have mates in air con too. I would just have it discharged prior to reaching customs. If there is no gas there is no charge AFAICT. What a stupid law they have made that encourages people to vent their gas rather than pay some crazy fee that is aimed at bulk importers of air cons and fridges. The red tape our gov sets in place is so out of line it actually has the opposite effect of what it sets out to achieve. Great work govco.

ausaviator 24-08-2011 04:31

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
A few things:

Didn't someone mention that Aus rego is now $1,200 ? (just something I read on here somewhere)

Don't forget airfares!
- Your airfare to get there to look at it prior to inspection (return)
- Accommodation and living expenses whilst you are away at the potentially expensive destination whilst the survey takes place
- Labour on repairs required whilst you are away in preparing the boat for sailing. It's easy to just say $1,000 in electrics, but we often forget fitting the equipment and the time taken to do so
- Your captain and crew's airfare if you have one (an expensive one-way fare and depending on where they leave from another fare may be required
- Your captain's fee if you have one. Caribbean - Aus - perhaps $10k - $15k
- Your survey cost might be a bit light on. I'm quoted $1,200 - $1,500 for a cat
- Your food costs will likely be much higher - remember Dragon Lady took 115+ days from Carib to Qld, thus with several crew if you're paying, say 3 crew, $15 a day x 115 = ~$5,200 !
- Your marina fees might be a bit high so you might win a little there, but that being said there are customs / clearing fees totaling in the hundreds for some countries that you'll need to allow for

Hope this helps; just what I've picked up.

Mr B 24-08-2011 04:36

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
It was built by Performance Cruising in Annapolis MD USA in 2003, I will ask the present owner if he has the original documentation for it, As he bought it new and had it transported by land across the USA to California from the east coast where it was manufactured, It does have a fridge on it, Will check on that too,
Interesting on the ABN, Its not in steel, so may not apply to me,
Keep them coming, Its all good to know, Prewarned is good,

dennisail 24-08-2011 04:37

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by downunder (Post 758185)
Chile also has a FTA with Aus.

OK if you are in the market for an Awoplast Chris White vessel.

I wish I was in the market for a Chris White :)

Mr B 24-08-2011 04:45

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
872.09 AUD for survey
208.82 AUD for the haul out. Both just done in Fiji.
In OZ its $500 for haul out and $1500 and up for the survey at Sandringham for a 38 foot Prout.

TrevC 24-08-2011 04:55

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ausaviator (Post 758201)
A few things:

Didn't someone mention that Aus rego is now $1,200 ? (just something I read on here somewhere)

Something like that. If you're sticking around AU, you can use state rego (like QLD, etc), then register in a different country for your national registry ($50 or less). You'll get shafted for cash on everything in Australia, so it's best to just find legit loopholes whenever possible.

Venting your refrigerant is a great idea. An empty tank means you're not required to have the license. I wish we had done the same!

VirtualVagabond 24-08-2011 05:03

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ausaviator (Post 758201)
A few things:

Didn't someone mention that Aus rego is now $1,200 ? (just something I read on here somewhere)

Don't forget airfares!
- Your airfare to get there to look at it prior to inspection (return)
- Accommodation and living expenses whilst you are away at the potentially expensive destination whilst the survey takes place
- Labour on repairs required whilst you are away in preparing the boat for sailing. It's easy to just say $1,000 in electrics, but we often forget fitting the equipment and the time taken to do so
- Your captain and crew's airfare if you have one (an expensive one-way fare and depending on where they leave from another fare may be required
- Your captain's fee if you have one. Caribbean - Aus - perhaps $10k - $15k
- Your survey cost might be a bit light on. I'm quoted $1,200 - $1,500 for a cat
- Your food costs will likely be much higher - remember Dragon Lady took 115+ days from Carib to Qld, thus with several crew if you're paying, say 3 crew, $15 a day x 115 = ~$5,200 !
- Your marina fees might be a bit high so you might win a little there, but that being said there are customs / clearing fees totaling in the hundreds for some countries that you'll need to allow for

Hope this helps; just what I've picked up.

This list is not helping because all these costs get added on to the purchase price and duty and gst are then on the total!

On the other hand if you are claiming you have just started an importation business and this is your first import, well, you could claim all those expenses as deductions against any 'profit' :whistling:

Minor correction though... If you stop in New Caledonia, your import is only from NC to Brisbane, so food, crew, fuel, customs fees, marina fees etc is only for the last little hop as far as duty and gst are concerned.

Of course if you're claiming expenses/tax deduction against profits, you bought it at the North Pole... https://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...n_rolleyes.gif

dennisail 24-08-2011 05:39

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
As far as I have read. Only the last leg of the trip is included in the delivery price that is subject to GST and duty. I will not be hiring a captain or crew anyway (well possibly if I buy a boat in a cold climate, it will just be moved south a few 100 miles so I can safely sail it in March).

I do not see the point in adding cost for food, as food you eat on the boat would more than likely cost far less than the food you would have eaten should you have stayed on land, unless you never eat when you are on land?. In reality this food bill should be included as a saving! The only thing is you have to pay tax on that food, but only from your last international port. This cost is almost negligible. Would NZ qualify in the same was as New Cal?

dennisail 24-08-2011 05:42

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ausaviator (Post 758201)
A few things:

Didn't someone mention that Aus rego is now $1,200 ? (just something I read on here somewhere)

Don't forget airfares!
- Your airfare to get there to look at it prior to inspection (return)
- Accommodation and living expenses whilst you are away at the potentially expensive destination whilst the survey takes place
- Labour on repairs required whilst you are away in preparing the boat for sailing. It's easy to just say $1,000 in electrics, but we often forget fitting the equipment and the time taken to do so
- Your captain and crew's airfare if you have one (an expensive one-way fare and depending on where they leave from another fare may be required
- Your captain's fee if you have one. Caribbean - Aus - perhaps $10k - $15k
- Your survey cost might be a bit light on. I'm quoted $1,200 - $1,500 for a cat
- Your food costs will likely be much higher - remember Dragon Lady took 115+ days from Carib to Qld, thus with several crew if you're paying, say 3 crew, $15 a day x 115 = ~$5,200 !
- Your marina fees might be a bit high so you might win a little there, but that being said there are customs / clearing fees totaling in the hundreds for some countries that you'll need to allow for

Hope this helps; just what I've picked up.

Thanks. Many of those points are valid for me, most are not. Which is why I did not include them. However the space is there in the spreadsheet to add them if they are applicable to me later, or for anyone else. I can see that they would be important in many scenarios. The formulas will add any costs up you put in the columns so it is easy to add costs.

For example. I am going to the USA for a holiday anyway. Holidays cost money, hotels cost money, air fairs cost money. Therefore I don't need to add those costs up since I am doing it anyway. If this was a commercial plan than yes. But it isn't. Well that's my optimistic take anyway :)

Mr B 24-08-2011 06:18

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
A 4 foot cubic fridge is no good to me when I am living aboard after I get it here,
I will just pull the fridge out and over the side, and buy a new big fridge in Brissy when I get here, No fridge, no charge.
I read some thing that they want the last four ports of call listed, It might be by the Quarantine people,

Mr B 02-09-2011 02:27

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
I am going to Fiji for a two week holiday any way, Does this cost go towards the cost of the boat I am bringing back,

Or do the charges apply from when I leave Fiji.

The parts I am buying for the boat are paid for in Australia and flown to Fiji with me,
GST is already paid in OZ, Do they whack that on top of the boat price as well.

The fridge runs on Ammonia and Hydrogen, Heated by Propane.
So I think that puts it outside the CFC Import tax,
So I can keep my fridge.???????

Would like clarification on that one, Please.

The boat is coming from Fiji, straight to Bundaberg, Then it will be in Australian waters permanently, Owned by an Australian Resident,

Next Friday, The boat will have Victorian State Registration, As I am a permanent Resident of Victoria, And My Postal address is my Victorian House address, Which I own.

Every thing on the boat is 7 years old, as It was basically purchased when new,

7 year old anything is virtually worthless these days.

How am I doing Here, All help appreciated.

Finally got the customs and immigration forms I needed, How, you might ask,

From the Bundaberg P2P race site, Very infromative site and very helpfull for sailers.
Has lots of good info on its site and where to get it if it hasn't got it.

Dragon Lady 02-09-2011 23:17

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
I doubt you will have any hassles with fridges.
There is no duty just GST on delvery cost including the skipper.
The P2P people put out a really good magazine type guide on how to sail from Noumea to Bundy. Worth getting hold of even if you are going from Fiji to BNE.
There are no termite inspection cost if your boat is mainly GRP like most production boats are now days.

ausaviator 03-09-2011 01:32

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Unless i am mistaken, Victorian registration is not suitable for transiting international waters. You will need it struck off the register that it is currently on before it can go on the Aus AMSA register, was $800, gone up recently? You should call them to confirm this unless someone knows better here.

Dragon Lady 03-09-2011 15:03

You are right, you must have a national flag on your boat state rego means nothing out there.

D&D 04-09-2011 14:21

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 758170)
Plus I have an ABN, So I wonder how they will take the knowledge that the more they tax me, the more the tax office give it back to me as a tax deduction. As cash.

If you have an ABN and -- This is the important bit -- you intend to use your boat for your business, then you should probably be lodging your Aust Customs papers electronically and using a Customs Agent to do so; the latter (in our experience anyway) was not too expensive and good value for the quick reference to answering questions.

If you follow the above course, you will not have to pay the GST at all. It will simply be both debited and credited as you import the vessel.

As suggested in another post, however, you should only travel this path if you intend a genuine business with the vessel...and you can certainly expect an ATO audit to check.

Aussie_Sequoia 04-09-2011 14:36

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
I just had it confirmed by the Oz Gov that a temporary import permit for fridges and aircon is $400. I guess one would have to weigh up the cost of re-gassing their equipment upon arrival compared to this permit fee.

D&D 04-09-2011 14:36

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Lady (Post 766293)
I doubt you will have any hassles with fridges.

The License to import a frig is only required (but it definitely IS required) if your vessel is registered in a company name.

D&D 04-09-2011 14:45

Re: Boat importation Spreadsheet and facts.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisail (Post 758239)
The formulas will add any costs up you put in the columns so it is easy to add costs.


Thanks for posting that spreadsheet on importing a vessel. Looking quickly at it, however, we weren't sure whether it applied the GST on the Duty? If not, then it should do so. It is clear the GST is levied on the value of the vessel landed in Australia, including the Duty. Tax on a tax, unfortunately...:banghead:

dennisail 04-09-2011 16:48

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Yeah I did set it up so it multiplied.

Reefer. 30-05-2013 16:46

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
I know you'll never get away from death and taxes, but....

Why on earth do we put up with having to pay market-distorting GST on an imported secondhand yacht?

And why do we put up with paying GST on top of import duty?

:confused:

If I was filthy rich, I would just register in the Bahamas, like certain well-off Aussie businessmen.

It makes me feel like going down to my local police station and asking to report the Govt. for aggravated theft and burglary, with intent to defraud.

:banghead:

Dragon Lady 31-05-2013 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer. (Post 1248300)
I know you'll never get away from death and taxes, but....

Why on earth do we put up with having to pay market-distorting GST on an imported secondhand yacht?

And why do we put up with paying GST on top of import duty?

:confused:

If I was filthy rich, I would just register in the Bahamas, like certain well-off Aussie businessmen.

It makes me feel like going down to my local police station and asking to report the Govt. for aggravated theft and burglary, with intent to defraud.

:banghead:

As you say if you are filthy rich you don't have to pay taxes, it works that way in most countries not just Oz.

Reefer. 05-06-2013 18:25

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
The insurance figure in the spreadsheet seems a bit high.

Why the 5% insurance of transaction value? That's as much as the import duty.

dennisail 05-06-2013 21:45

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Because that is how much ocean going insurance costs from a reputable company. If you don't like it, change the value!

This is the sheet I made before I imported my boat. Now I have actually done it, I should re do it to reflect the actual costs.

Dragon Lady 06-06-2013 02:11

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Yeah 5% is fairly cheap for Pacific crossing, it drops to about 2.8% when you get to Australian coastal waters.

Reefer. 06-06-2013 15:46

Re: Boat Importation Spreadsheet and Facts
 
Hi Dennisail,

I have no experience in purchasing ocean crossing insurance, but at 5%, there might be quite a few underinsured boats out there crossing oceans.

Thanks very much for the original spreadsheet, it helps to try out some different scenarios, all good for the preparation phase.

If you have the time, a new spreadsheet would be great!

How was the import process? Did you use a customs agent?

What about the time taken from date of contract to actually departing the port for Australia?

Did you buy from a broker?

Looking forward to some updated fees and costs you experienced along with any snags you encountered along the way.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.