Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   advice for first timer crossing! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/advice-for-first-timer-crossing-57727.html)

ubbs 26-03-2011 16:47

advice for first timer crossing!

hi new to the forum! SO A BIG HELLO
iam trying to plan my first crossing to the bahamas from florida the boat is in palm coast and i would like to trailer it south to some point,any ideas for the nearest crossing! and the nicest port to do some fishing /snorkling in the bahamas?iam a canadian and now nothing about this adventure but iam up for the adventure and words of wisdom or advice would be awseome!!!

Tia Bu 26-03-2011 18:05

Re: advice for first timer crossing!

I'm thinking since you've got a trailerable sport fish, why not tow it all the way down to Miami and run over to Bimini? That's only a 2-3 hour run for you. Not much room to get into trouble, IF you wait for the correct weather. There is great fishing in Bimini, plenty of opportunities for snorkeling and diving, and affordable marinas to spend the night, many of them with affordable rooms.

By all means, do NOT try this crossing when there is any northerly component to the wind (or too soon after a norther has been blowing). Buy the Explorer Chartbook and carefully read about the crossing before you attempt it. You can get the Chartbook at the marina there in Palm Coast, I bet. You'll probably also find lots of people there who can tell you about crossing to the Bahamas.

If you pick the right weather window, the trip will be a cakewalk.

Have fun. Surely you'll pick up some other advice.

ubbs 26-03-2011 18:43

thanks Tia Bu would you now a launch area and parking in miami? is Bimmi a lot nicer less commercial?

Tia Bu 26-03-2011 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubbs (Post 653108)
thanks Tia Bu would you now a launch area and parking in miami? is Bimmi a lot nicer less commercial?

There's a launch ramp between Dinner Key Marina and the Coral Gables Sailing Club. Don't know what the parking situation is there.

In Bimini, I'd stay again at Weech's. Nice folks. Inexpensive. Reasonable (but by no means luxurious :)) rooms right by the dock.

Bimini is Bimini. I'd read about it for years but never imagined it the way it is. Different from the any other place I've been in Bahamas. But very nice to visit.

Surely some of the folks in FL will pitch in with some other advice.

Alecadi 28-03-2011 12:22

Parking at the boat ramp between DKM and CGSC is not cheap: going by the hours. But lot of people park nearby at the old convention center just behind DK marina . This is free for what I know.

ubbs 28-03-2011 18:08

iam thinking of heading out of ft lauderdale so any advice for parking in that area would be awesome!!!