Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   What are the Slowest Cats? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/what-are-the-slowest-cats-57336.html)

Sand crab 21-03-2011 10:20

What are the Slowest Cats?

There was a thread a while back about the fastest cats so I figured I start one about the slowest. I really want to know which ones are the absolute dogs including the new ones. For the sake of argument we will assume that Dennis Connor is the skipper of each one and he is doing the absolute best that he can do. Bless his little heart. And we won't talk about upwind or downwind. Mostly the cats should be limited to standard stock configurations although if you can recall a custom that was a pig then that will do. I won't name the brokerage but there is one that is for sale that is built out of steel. And that's the first contribution. Be nice now. BOB

dtynan 21-03-2011 10:22

Re: What are the slowest cats?

Don't really know much about dogs, but tabby cats are really slow.

S/V Alchemy 21-03-2011 10:26

What an odd concept. I mean, you can choose to drive a Porsche in first gear, just as you can choose to put two tonnes of beer cans in the four ends of a cat. That would kill off a fair bit of speed and make it handle like a brick on a seesaw.

muskoka 21-03-2011 10:38

Look at the displacement and then look at the sail area.

Unless the laws of physics have been repealed, heavy boats with small sail plans are slower than light boats with big sail plans.......

But, in my observation, orange cats tend to scamper faster than any other moggie...
The Orange Cat Superiority Page
At least when faced with a measuring tape....

thinwater 21-03-2011 10:51

Any sort with the belly dragging in the middle (some can turn into real barges when overloaded and pounding into chop).

Of course, that applies to dogs too.

Sand crab 21-03-2011 10:57

I had a Tabby that would go on 15 mile hikes with me. She was fast. The purpose of this thread was not to go into SA/D or other technical criteria because there are so many other issues that come into play like hull shape, hull fineness, sail type and configuration, windage and on and on. I just wanted members input on the boats they sailed or they were familiar with. But in a nice way. Now about that steel cat. If you're interested then I have some swampland in Florida for sale. BOB

scook1 21-03-2011 11:02

the ones with no legs!

bigpuff 21-03-2011 11:07

the amount of beer cans is the key;strait rum will definatly help the cat go faster,the only problem it some times can leed to sudden unexplained stops/keep her lite...

Sailmonkey 21-03-2011 11:10

The only cats I've sailed were fountain pajot and lagoon charter cats. Neither one was a rocket ship, but off the wind I'd tend to favor the lagoon. Beating to weather they were equals as near as I could tell. I never had a chance to sail the lagoon in any seastate, but the FP turned doggy with confused steep seas and the wind on the nose. I would imagine that the Lagoon would have done the same as they're pretty similar underbodies.

muskoka 21-03-2011 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailmonkey (Post 648736)
The only cats I've sailed were fountain pajot and lagoon charter cats. Neither one was a rocket ship, but off the wind I'd tend to favor the lagoon. Beating to weather they were equals as near as I could tell. I never had a chance to sail the lagoon in any seastate, but the FP turned doggy with confused steep seas and the wind on the nose. I would imagine that the Lagoon would have done the same as they're pretty similar underbodies.

Where either of them orange?

Sailmonkey 21-03-2011 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskoka (Post 648779)

Nope, no tabbies here.

muskoka 21-03-2011 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 648728)
I had a Tabby that would go on 15 mile hikes with me. She was fast. The purpose of this thread was not to go into SA/D or other technical criteria because there are so many other issues that come into play like hull shape, hull fineness, sail type and configuration, windage and on and on. I just wanted members input on the boats they sailed or they were familiar with. But in a nice way. Now about that steel cat. If you're interested then I have some swampland in Florida for sale. BOB

I've sailed lots of boats and a few cats. So, my observations:

1. As said, the basic premise of light boat and big sails seems to be far more important in a cat than any other boat I've sailed.
2. Beware the self tacking headsail. Or rejoice in it's simplicity. It makes life easier but slower.
3. Cats with daggerboards sail way better than those without.

I will revert back to my comment about physics because that's the final word. A light boat, with fine hulls, big sails and a daggerboard is the best. I don't like categorical evaluations because they're fundamentally useless. I've specifically sailed a Lagoon 380, Broadblue 38/42, FP Lavezzi and Seawind 1160. And some lesser known cats.

I got the best turn of speed out of the Lavezzi, and thats why I bought her. The Seawind was second choice, very nice, but a self tacking headsail is never an asset so I don't feel I have an apples to apples comparison. The Lagoon 380 was a good boat but we just didn't fall in love. The Broadblue was a heavier cruising boat so I don't think the comparison there is fair. She was great but built to a different purpose at which I think she excelled.

All I can state is that my Lavezzi regularly leaves the rest of the cat fleet in the wake. She's fast on the stats, and not surprisingly fast on the water. But until we switch boats, I can't say whether the boat is faster or the skipper is faster.

snort 21-03-2011 15:57

Island Packet cats look pretty heavy and slow; barge-like in fact.

zeehag 21-03-2011 16:23

MAINE COON CATS WITHOUT LIFE PRESERVRS ARE PRETTY SLOW-- BURMESE SEEM TO HAVE THE LONGEVITY AND DURABILITY FACTOR BUILT IN-- THEY CAN SWIM FOREVER, AND ARE SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN MAINES WITH THEIR FURRY TAILS DRAGGING IN THE SEAS... IS LIKE DRAGGING WARPS......

thinwater 21-03-2011 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll (Post 649055)
have yet to see a cruising cat that will beat to windward through 140 degrees at any speed

Still not accurate or original, and perhaps just a troll.

This should be a fun thread.

The slowest cat I've seen lately is one of my neighbors; he has a Gem 3200 and left his rudders on the deck for the winter. One of our windstorms picked them up and through them in the harbor. Through some bizarre stroke of luck, I saw them floating by and snagged them. THAT would have slowed him down.

Regarding the Packet Cat, they are comfortable, but slow. I sailed past one up the Delaware (to windward) while he was motoring; every wave was smacking the underside and spray was shooting forward, out of the tunnel.

I've got to say he was pretty comfortable looking at anchor that night, so all is well.

atoll 21-03-2011 17:00

passed quite a few larger cruising cats the other year on passage from horta to gib that were hove too in 25 knot head winds, i guess they thought they would lose more ground trying to beat into it than hove too .now that is slow.......

Factor 21-03-2011 17:33

Oh dear

thinwater 21-03-2011 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor (Post 649084)
Oh dear

The nod for slowest power boat in my marina this year goes to the fellow that sunk; he had a low spot in his sump pump discharge and it froze. Also completely off the point. But has been an interesting lesson in watching the progress of an insurance claim, so not all bad.

Actually, the whole thread is delightfully irrelevant. My last cat was a Kevlar racing machine with a deep dagger board; very little leeway and ridiculously fast on any point of sail. We pulled a water skier once, on a bet. It had pipe bunks for 3 but I wouldn't call it a cruiser. My current boat is slower, shallower draft, and far more comfortable. I was never temped to heave to with either. OK.

The happiest sailors I know belong to a trailer sail group I have friends in; I think maybe they're on to something. It's the people, not the boats.

The mistake with this thread is that no one wants to brag about having the least fast boat. We should have asked about the most comfortable at anchor. I know my boat gives up some comfort for sailing ability and seaworthiness. When sailing, that's good. On a rainy day, I might make different choices..

boatman61 21-03-2011 18:36

Bobcats, Catalacs, Prouts, Hirondelles... to name a few...:whistling:

thinwater 21-03-2011 18:56

Catfisher, but they are fun to look at and the owners always seem proud.

28' Fisher Catamaran
https://www.2hulls.com/images/gallery...sher32Dock.jpg

Therapy 21-03-2011 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinwater (Post 649170)

28' Fisher Catamaran

I like that boat.

smj 22-03-2011 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinwater (Post 649170)

28' Fisher Catamaran

We had a Catfisher 32. Did equal speed to a Gemini in 25kts downwind. Had a really bad motion in a beam sea.

Sand crab 22-03-2011 07:26

I'm back

This thread has been fun. OK, any idea what that Fisher sold for?. I'm going to make some general observations and before anybody gets all riled up I will state that I like Lagoon and may buy one not because of speed but because of the big volume and huge selection. It is my humble opinion that the new Lagoons are probably near the slowest currently made mainly due to the beamy hulls and high windage. Also I'm not convinced that the V-hull bridgedeck undermount (what do you call that thing anyway? prow? wingy dingy?) is the way to go. The Lagoon 420 had numerous issues including the hybrid system and I think I read that the hull shape caused gurgling noises while underway. I wonder if it would rank at the bottom of the list for modern cats. While not sure about the beam the FPs have less windage and so I think they are a little faster. It seems the older models of all cats would be a little faster for the lack of these features. Privileges are just plain heavy so maybe they are tied with Lagoon. I also think that the older Catanas were faster because they were lighter. I agree with Boatman about the Catalacs and Prouts. I just wanted somebody else to say it first. Did I miss something on my earlier statements? BOB

Dragon Lady 24-03-2011 00:02

how about a catatonic cat?

thinwater 24-03-2011 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Lady (Post 651194)
how about a catatonic cat?

I have one of those too! I wish he'd catch more mice and earn his keep.

One our winter entertainments is to tie a catnip mouse to a fishing line on an ultralight pole and "fish" for the cat. I don't have to get out of my chair, I get good casting accuracy practice (I don't always wait for the cat to wake up), and good practice fighting a heavy fish. Since my chair is near the confluence of several rooms and halls, I can fish a very large area!

Doodles 24-03-2011 05:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by muskoka (Post 648779)

This one is orange, but not slow!

Orange II --- World's Fastest Catamaran

Attachment 25444

Dulcesuenos 24-03-2011 06:25

1 Attachment(s)
This cats pretty slow,,,,,,,

Sorry couldnt resist :devil:

zeehag 24-03-2011 11:34

i like that catfisher-- is a kinda cat i could get with-- other than bubba, that is....
i have that pic of free cat in my files from years ago--is good one...

planetoftheapes 24-03-2011 23:51

Having now spent a great deal of time on a Lagoon 420 diesel I must defend them. Avanga sails remarkably well for a floating condo. Remember:

Lagoon 420 Wins Arc Rally Multihulls Division

Atlantic Rally for Cruisers 2009 https://www.catamarans.com/pictures/u...elebration.jpg
6 January 2010: The Lagoon 420 Vanora won the Multihulls Division at the 2009 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers. Peter Seitz from Germany sailed the Vanora to victory.
M. Jensen from Norway placed 2nd with the Lagoon 440 Far Far II.

Lagoons were the highlight of the boat race proving first-class excellence.

rgscpat 24-03-2011 23:55

How about the less-well-executed of the homebuilt multihulls that proliferated around the 70s? Remember ferrocement -- wonder if anyone built multis with it?

smj 25-03-2011 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetoftheapes (Post 651915)
Having now spent a great deal of time on a Lagoon 420 diesel I must defend them. Avanga sails remarkably well for a floating condo. Remember:

Atlantic Rally for Cruisers 2009 https://www.catamarans.com/pictures/u...elebration.jpg
6 January 2010: The Lagoon 420 Vanora won the Multihulls Division at the 2009 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers. Peter Seitz from Germany sailed the Vanora to victory.

Was the Lagoon 420 first over the line or did it win on corrected time?

webejammin 26-03-2011 10:51

I was watching this thread to see if any catamaran's were really bashed.:devil: We just bought our 02 Gemini 105MC last fall with the 420 sq ft screecher sail and it scoots right along if were not loaded with crusing gear and supplies and then it moves right along compaired to many single hulled sailboats. We can't waite to enter a local Saturday race this spring but I guess we'll be in our own class with no other multi-hulls to race against.

We didn't buy our boat to race. We are very happy setting at anchor watching the monohull boats wabbeling from side to side like our previous boat always did. My neck still hurts just watching the wabbling.:rolleyes:

Therapy 26-03-2011 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by webejammin (Post 652828)
I was watching this thread to see if any catamaran's were really bashed.:devil: We just bought our 02 Gemini 105MC last fall with the 420 sq ft screecher sail and it scoots right along if were not loaded with crusing gear and supplies and then it moves right along compaired to many single hulled sailboats. We can't waite to enter a local Saturday race this spring but I guess we'll be in our own class with no other multi-hulls to race against.

We didn't buy our boat to race. We are very happy setting at anchor watching the monohull boats wabbeling from side to side like our previous boat always did. My neck still hurts just watching the wabbling.:rolleyes:

Don't rub it in too much as a lot of mono hullers are sensitive and don't like being told that stuff. :flowers:

thinwater 26-03-2011 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therapy (Post 652899)
Don't rub it in too much as a lot of mono hullers are sensitive and don't like being told that stuff. :flowers:

Who's evolved?

Sand crab 26-03-2011 12:57

OK, I guess I was wrong about the Lagoon 420. Planetoftheapes, a couple of questions
1. Was the winning boat a 420D or hybrid?
2. Were the crew very experienced?
3. Do you feel I wasn't too far off the mark regarding the 420 Hybrid?
4. What is your nomination for the last place modern boat?

C'mon you guys. Someone has to be in last place. Let's hear the nominations. We can break it down into categories. My worst built nomination goes to the Bumfuzzle boat the Wildcat 35. BOB

webejammin 26-03-2011 13:01

I was :whistling:chatting about our previous monohull sailboat at anchor :rolleyes: REALLY. No bashing here, we LIKED our previous monohull sailboat and we got a good price when we sold it last month after owning it almost 4 years, it is why we bought this boat and keep sailing.:D

Therapy 26-03-2011 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 652909)
We can break it down into categories. My worst built nomination goes to the Bumfuzzle boat the Wildcat 35. BOB

This thread is for slowest.

Another thread would be for worst built.

Have at it.

smj 26-03-2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 652909)
OK, I guess I was wrong about the Lagoon 420. Planetoftheapes, a couple of questions
1. Was the winning boat a 420D or hybrid?
2. Were the crew very experienced?
3. Do you feel I wasn't too far off the mark regarding the 420 Hybrid?
4. What is your nomination for the last place modern boat?

C'mon you guys. Someone has to be in last place. Let's hear the nominations. We can break it down into categories. My worst built nomination goes to the Bumfuzzle boat the Wildcat 35. BOB

I just looked it up, the Lagoon 420 won on corrected time. Out of the 9 multis in the race they were 5th to finish. Winning on corrected time doesn't mean their boat was fast just that either they had a great crew or a good rating.

white rabbitt 14-11-2012 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 651433)
i like that catfisher-- is a kinda cat i could get with-- other than bubba, that is....
i have that pic of free cat in my files from years ago--is good one...

Bubba is a sissy cat. Just saying

Barra 14-11-2012 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetoftheapes (Post 651915)

I dont know about the 2009 ARC but there were some interesting comments from the new Catana 47 crew who finished 3rd to 2 lagoons - 440 and a 57. They basically accused them of falsifying their engine hours after they magically made a few 100 miles in calms and only 20 hours on the engines whole trip....

not sure if you can read much into the arc when the engine hours are an honesty system