Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Tips for Greece (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/tips-for-greece-56302.html)

Palarran 02-05-2011 06:09

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Thanks Captain Mike,
The problem with selling the one I have is that I've heard the price for a new one has gone WAY WAY up :)

I plan on keeping it as simple as a complicated trip like this will allow. Fortunately, I have two of everything on board and for critical systems, extra parts.

atoll 02-05-2011 06:26

Re: Tips for Greece
 
if space permitted it would really be worthwile fitting a 2.5 kv unit,currently toying with an aircooled lombardini that i've marinised runs on about .5 liter of diesel an hour,also have the same 240 v holding plate system that will run off an inverter as well,making it unnessacary to run the genny as frequently,though the solar panels are a big expense,but one off.

Capitain Mike 02-05-2011 12:13

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by atoll (Post 678708)
if space permitted it would really be worthwile fitting a 2.5 kv unit,currently toying with an aircooled lombardini that i've marinised runs on about .5 liter of diesel an hour,also have the same 240 v holding plate system that will run off an inverter as well,making it unnessacary to run the genny as frequently,though the solar panels are a big expense,but one off.

I like:)

Capitain Mike 02-05-2011 12:17

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 678699)
Thanks Captain Mike,
The problem with selling the one I have is that I've heard the price for a new one has gone WAY WAY up :)

I plan on keeping it as simple as a complicated trip like this will allow. Fortunately, I have two of everything on board and for critical systems, extra parts.

:devil: :smiling: :deadhorsebeat: Bet you have not got two wives on board. :D

Capitain Mike 03-05-2011 03:06

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capitain Mike (Post 671977)
Is 1.75 here a litre already, more sails less engine

I bought some yesterday
24 litres @1.87 =45€
Glad I have a Sail and a small boat Time to downsize every body https://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/a...ticons/lol.gif

Frederik V 26-05-2011 02:35

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky (Post 636491)
The season in Med is closer and closer, so I'm starting this thread for exchange of tips for summer cruise in Greece.

For the begenning my first tip:

LEVITHA ISLAND (NISIDA LEVITHA)

Here is the link for GoogleMaps:

Levitha


It is just a tiny piece of rock in the middle of nowhere (really between the Dodecanese and Cyclades - formally belongs to Dodecanese, as part of Leros community, but actually it is closer to Amorgos in Cyclades).

The island is unspoilt place, without water tap or electricity, but it has a fine anchorage, completely protected from Meltemi. Only one family of four or five live there and they run small tavern. Fantastic grilled fish and - if You were lucky - You will find there the best, probably, grilled lobster in Aegean.

Definitely worth a visit :)


I loved Loutra on Kydnos, where you can bath in unspoiled hot water running into the harbour.
I will also go for the 3rd time to Levitha... nice spot indeed
Serifos is also a nice place to be. Hire a scooter and go to the town on the top (you can also go on foot).
A very nice town is Naoussa (but almost no place in the harbour : 6 or 7 boats perhaps, don't come too close to the quay with the stern ! You can always go on anchor in the baye on the north.
A really very nice place is : Symi (in the south), you can go to the main harbour but also anchor in the panormitis bay (but there are no provisions, onluy a café-restaurant). What we dit is hiring a scooter and going araound the island to Panormitis. Really very beautiful.

Also Myconos is worth visiting.

(We also love Datça in Turkey : you feel as on one of the big yachts in St Tropez ...)

I should not go to :
Tinos
Rhodos (no possibility to find a place in the harbour and a lot of paperwork to do, especially as we did with a Turkish Bavaria 50. It took us more than 4 hours to get the paperork done ! I counted and we had to go to 17 (seventeen !) different offices to collect stamps ..). But the town is very nice. So if you go there, go at least for 2 days.

Frederik

We sail on 4th june - 18th june:
bodrum, kalymnos, leros, levitha, amorgos (ay anna), schoinoussa, naxos, ios, astypaleia, nisyros
(we planned to go to Santorini, but I read Vlikhada is silted (or is it dredged now ?). I was twice in Vlikhada but at that time we had no problems with d-the debt. Any experience from the latest visits ?

careka 28-05-2011 01:33

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Dont forget Sifnos, and south west cost Milos. nices places.

savoir 28-05-2011 05:29

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 678374)
Your not rude at all - it is a floating condo. You pretty much nailed it. But, it's way cheaper to provide these things then replace my wife with one who doesn't need them. The boat is just for family and friends.

As for fresh water, I like it and a lot of it. We use between 100 and 200 gallons per day. We don't buy bottled water now. The dive compressor was already with the boat and I don't want anything that burns regular gas inside my hull. The refrigeration provides us with the ability to load up at large discount grocery stores which saves money and gives us better selection. We almost never use the air conditioning.

I have replaced all the light bulbs with LED's and it has cut down my power consumption significantly. I probably could get by running the generator for less time, but would need to run it three times per day instead of two. Maybe 1.5 hours in the morning, afternoon, and late night.

But the simple fact is that it's not going to be cheap. If I was too concerned about spending money on gas, I wouldn't go because food costs will I'm sure be much more. You must know how much it is to eat at a restaurant - for 10!!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am working on the final preperations for Palarran. It is now only 1 year before I leave.

I shudder to think how much it would cost each day just to make 200 gallons of water from diesel at a price around $10 gallon. I pay $7.50 gallon for diesel and make 50 gallons of water a week and that's bad enough.

Scary.

Palarran 28-05-2011 07:52

Re: Tips for Greece
 
I hear ya Savior. But in the big picture, the main expense is just getting there. 2 months of sailing, airfare, repairs, etc make the cost of diesel look like penny's.

I had asked on the Croatia thread about what we call "farmers markets". Many of the islands have fresh produce they sell on specific days in villages. Is there some way to know when and where these markets are?

We will probably buy our bulk food in Crete and Piraeus. We will need to get fresh food every week and I'd like to go the the markets.

Palarran 28-05-2011 07:59

Re: Tips for Greece
 
On another note, many American's have wondered what to do about getting an international sailing certificate. It is now apparently being required in Greece and Spain. Most countries require it but don't enforce the rule.

I've made some calls and done the research and the best option is taking ASA 101, 103, and 104 and then applying for their international proficiency certificate. See link:
International Proficiency Certification - American Sailing Association

savoir 28-05-2011 19:09

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Saturday is the most common market day.

Frederik V 31-05-2011 00:07

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 667139)
I'm still working on my route and would appreciate a basic opinion. I have 10 weeks to cruise Greek waters. Right now I have most of the time in the Aegean and less in the Ionian Islands. I like the look of the trees and hills in the Ionian's and wonder if I should cut a week out of the Aegean and add it the the Ionian's.

I have attached a basic route for Google Earth. If you have GE installed, just download it and click on it.

I plan on perfecting it more then posting it on a separate thread for more specific route help.


Hello, If you are in Croatia go 110 miles north. I recommand to go to Skradin (near Sibenik). A well situated harbour inland (the 2 h cruis to Skradin is also very nice). There you take a cruise boat that brings the tourists to the waterfalls. It is very beautifull. You can swim in warm water around and under the waterfalls.
On your way you pop in in Trogir. Very busy but a nice place. (go upon the tower).

In Greece I should go from Milos (which is not a very interesting place to my opinion) to Ios and there consider if you should take a boat to visit Thira (= Santorini) or try to go with your own boat, but you should know that anchoring is a real big problem nowadays (this was not the case a few years ago but Vlikhada is not deep enough any more). Sailing in the morning into the bay of Santorini from the north is a very beautifull experience.
I also loved Serifos. Go to the "chora".
Very peacefull place.

Should you go to Tinos. It is an interesting visit as it is considered as the "Lourdes" from the east. But be there very early as there is only place for 5 or 6 boats.

Coming back from Rhodos, it is a must to go to Symi which I found is one of the best places to visit. Hire a scooter and go to Panormitis (you can also spend the night there, very well protected). Have a meal at the local restaurant at maratounda beach (2 km from Panormitis). Also very peacefull. Frederik.

swagman 31-05-2011 10:51

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederik V (Post 697808)
Hello, If you are in Croatia go 110 miles north. I recommand to go to Skradin (near Sibenik). A well situated harbour inland (the 2 h cruis to Skradin is also very nice). There you take a cruise boat that brings the tourists to the waterfalls. It is very beautifull. You can swim in warm water around and under the waterfalls.
On your way you pop in in Trogir. Very busy but a nice place. (go upon the tower).

In Greece I should go from Milos (which is not a very interesting place to my opinion) to Ios and there consider if you should take a boat to visit Thira (= Santorini) or try to go with your own boat, but you should know that anchoring is a real big problem nowadays (this was not the case a few years ago but Vlikhada is not deep enough any more). Sailing in the morning into the bay of Santorini from the north is a very beautifull experience.
I also loved Serifos. Go to the "chora".
Very peacefull place.

Should you go to Tinos. It is an interesting visit as it is considered as the "Lourdes" from the east. But be there very early as there is only place for 5 or 6 boats.

Coming back from Rhodos, it is a must to go to Symi which I found is one of the best places to visit. Hire a scooter and go to Panormitis (you can also spend the night there, very well protected). Have a meal at the local restaurant at maratounda beach (2 km from Panormitis). Also very peacefull. Frederik.

The rest of the tips I'd agree with - but methinks Frederik is having you on to suggest 'warm waters' below the falls at Skradin. Brilliant to see these falls but we went skinny dipping after cycling up river and back to the marina at Skradin in June '07....... and I can tell you it was bloody freezing!

Cheers
JOHN

hoppy 31-05-2011 11:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky
The harbour itself is quite small and crowded, also sometime quite windy, but there are some nice anchorages also. The best one is probably Katsadia Bay in the south part of island. You will find some mooring buoys laid by local tavern, but if they are all taken, You can anchor out - the holding is good.

I am moored in Katsadia bay at the moment. We are on one of the taverna's buoys but unfortunately the taverna is not yet open, so it was sandwiches for dinner :-(

Given the "remote" location it feels almost wrong having internet access here, but at the same time it is quite good :) I have a pre-paid 3G data sim with Cosmote and have had a connection the whole way down from Samos. Thankfully the Cosmote web site has English, so it was easy to use, unlike their pp mobile phone setup. I bought a refill care for my mobile but never got an English option when dialing up, so the phone is dead for now.

svBeBe 06-06-2011 01:56

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederik V (Post 694547)
<snipped>
I should not go to :
Tinos
Rhodos (no possibility to find a place in the harbour and a lot of paperwork to do, especially as we did with a Turkish Bavaria 50. It took us more than 4 hours to get the paperork done ! I counted and we had to go to 17 (seventeen !) different offices to collect stamps ..). But the town is very nice. So if you go there, go at least for 2 days.
<snipped>

This is very bad news to us. We plan to clear out of Greece in late August at Rhodes as we will be heading to TRNC.

Anyone else have any experience clearing out of Greece at Rhodes and was it this complicated? We are US citizens on our own USA flagged yacht, not on a charter boat or making a delivery.

If Rhodes is indeed this difficult to clear out, is there a better alternative considering we will be sailing from Athens to TRNC in late August?

Thanks,

Judy
S/V BeBe (currently in Pithagorio, Samos en route to Athens)

yeloya 07-06-2011 06:35

Re: Tips for Greece
 
If Rhodes is difficult, Simi 30-35 kts north west is the alternative. Simi will also be crowded but would be easier tyo find a spot. In worst case, go and puy the anchor in Padi (one bay souther of main Simi bay) and take a bus to the citiy for formalities. (there is a bus every half an hour)

Cheers

Yeloya

NB:It took Greeks to make the new marina for more than 20 years in Rhodes, despite huge amount of money from CE.. Hopefully next year the marina will be opened and we won't have this kind of problems anymore..

Palarran 07-06-2011 07:58

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Yeloya, Thanks for the advise. We plan on going to Simi (Symi) after Marmaris. We would spend 3 days in Rhodes, 4 days in Marmaris, then head to Symi for 3 days.

Do you have any suggestions for what to do and see in the Marmaris area? I have been to Ephesus already. We like to get off the boat and explore inland every other day if possible.
Thanks,
David

Capitain Mike 07-06-2011 11:49

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloya (Post 702841)
If Rhodes is difficult, Simi 30-35 kts north west is the alternative. Simi will also be crowded but would be easier tyo find a spot. In worst case, go and puy the anchor in Padi (one bay souther of main Simi bay) and take a bus to the citiy for formalities. (there is a bus every half an hour)

Cheers

Yeloya

NB:It took Greeks to make the new marina for more than 20 years in Rhodes, despite huge amount of money from CE.. Hopefully next year the marina will be opened and we won't have this kind of problems anymore..


That's what generally happens, they get the money start the work then mysteriously run out of money (Gets saved or Spent elsewhere) Then when the CE asks have you finished it. They say finished what? so they are threatened with a big fine and the work recommences.

https://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/a...ns/lol%205.gif

Palarran 14-06-2011 18:54

Re: Tips for Greece
 
I have another question about cruising greece. Why do you have to clear in to every island? I mean, if I'm not leaving Greece, why do I have to always be clearing in? We will be anchoring most of the time. I can appreciate needing to pay port fees if I'm docking but why when anchoring? What are the rules for this?

hoppy 14-06-2011 23:36

Re: Tips for Greece
 
In theory, you are supposed to present your traffic document at every port to be stamped for the cost of €0.88 plus give them a crew list and who your registration and perhaps insurance. Tied up on the water front in Pythagorion(Samos) with water and power available, I've never had to pay anything other than the 88cents

In reality, many people don't bother to do it at every port and just occasionally.

hoppy 14-06-2011 23:58

Re: Tips for Greece
 
anyone know of any good Greek ferry sites for working out locations for exchanging crews?

I have tried using ferries.gr but their site is poorly designed and no useful mapping.

I don't want to be tied down to fixed dates and ports when cruising. I'd rather plan to be in certain regions on dates and make final meeting arrange just a day or two beforehand and sail to the nearest port that my crew can take a ferry to their airport island or back to Athens.

A map with ferry routes on it is what I need, then maybe ferries.gr will become useful.

Jacques2 15-06-2011 00:54

Re: Tips for Greece
 
To Palarran : I Have sailing the Aegea sea these last 2 months (from Samos to Methana and from Nyssyros to Tinos, and I have 3 stamps from the Port Police at all. It means : I have see them 3 times ! Don't mind... There is no problem ... Easy...
To Hoppy :
The are links for Ferry lines and Hydrofoils too, but withj the crisis many thinks are changing and you can have modifications at any time... And it is still very difficult to have a global approach for one island of the different possibilities .... Good luck


Hellenic Seaways
Greek Ferries - DANAE*Greek Travel Services Online
OpenSeas - Ferry Tickets for Greece and Adriatic
HYDRO-FOILS

svBeBe 15-06-2011 01:41

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 708678)
In theory, you are supposed to present your traffic document at every port to be stamped for the cost of €0.88 plus give them a crew list and who your registration and perhaps insurance. Tied up on the water front in Pythagorion(Samos) with water and power available, I've never had to pay anything other than the 88cents

In reality, many people don't bother to do it at every port and just occasionally.

We cleared into Greece at Pythagorion (Samos) on 1 June 2011. We were in anchorage for 1 day and then moored to town quay for 6 days. In addition to the 30 Euros to purchase the transit log from Customs office, the Port Police charged us 15 Euro for arrival, plus a fee for both for the anchorage and for being moored to town quay.

The pricing formula for the anchorage was LOA in meters X number of days X 0.30 Euro, plus 16% VAT. For our 16 meter boat, that totaled 5.36 Euro for anchoring 1 day.

The pricing formula for being moored to town quay was LOA X number of days X 0.36 Euro, plus 16% VAT. With free electricity and water on the quay. For our 16 meter boat, that totaled 40 Euro.

I do not know where the 0.88 Euro price quoted above came from. But I have our receipts from 1 thru 7 June 2011, so I am positive of the rates charged this month.

FWIW, we stopped at isolated anchorages on Fournoi, Mykonos and Kea while en route to Piraeus. There were no Port Police offices in any of those anchorages and we only stayed one night in each location, so we did not have our transit lot stamped again until we arrived in Piraeus and checked in with Port Police there. The Port Police in Piraeus did not charge us any fees when we arrived, but maybe they will charge when we check out of here. FWIW, we are staying in a marina in Pireaus and maybe that negates the port charges. I have no idea, but will not be surprised if we are charged a fee when we go back to Port Police to have the transit log stamped for our departure.

Judy
S/V BeBe

svBeBe 15-06-2011 01:47

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 708578)
I have another question about cruising greece. Why do you have to clear in to every island? I mean, if I'm not leaving Greece, why do I have to always be clearing in? We will be anchoring most of the time. I can appreciate needing to pay port fees if I'm docking but why when anchoring? What are the rules for this?

Having to clear in and out of every port is not that unusual. Many countries require this -- Colombia, Panama, Venezuela, Ecuador, Malaysia, Indonesia, India -- just to name a few that we have visited that had this same requirement.

Judy
S/V BeBe

svBeBe 15-06-2011 01:57

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeloya (Post 702841)
If Rhodes is difficult, Simi 30-35 kts north west is the alternative. Simi will also be crowded but would be easier tyo find a spot. In worst case, go and puy the anchor in Padi (one bay souther of main Simi bay) and take a bus to the citiy for formalities. (there is a bus every half an hour)

Cheers

Yeloya

NB:It took Greeks to make the new marina for more than 20 years in Rhodes, despite huge amount of money from CE.. Hopefully next year the marina will be opened and we won't have this kind of problems anymore..

American friends ran into problems when clearing out of Greece in Simi. They had overstayed the total 90 days allowed in the total EU as per the Schengen Treaty. They had only been in Greece less than 30 days, but over the 90 day limit covering all the other countries combined. They were charged 1250 Euro per person in Simi for being in the EU longer than 90 days. When we cleared into Greece (and the EU for the first time) the Customs officer in Pythagorion (Samos) warned us that we must clear out of Greece no later than the 89th day, or we would be charged a high fee on the 90th day.

Just pointing out the possibilities and reminding non-EU readers than some places do rigidly enforce the Schengen Treaty limits.

Judy
S/V BeBe

Palarran 16-06-2011 11:15

Re: Tips for Greece
 
That's some good information from everybody - thank you. I just received my Greek Waters Pilot and spent quite a few hours last night reading it. The more I imagine my trip, the more I think I'm better to visit fewer islands for longer periods. Like three days instead of 1, afterall, there are a lot of islands :) .

I'm still looking forward to posting the route and getting some advise from all of you. Thank you again.
David.

hoppy 16-06-2011 11:54

Re: Tips for Greece
 
I'm sure most people already know this, but for the sake of anyone new to the idea of sailing in Greece, this website is very good for weather Poseidon System

yeloya 16-06-2011 15:04

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by svBeBe (Post 708712)
American friends ran into problems when clearing out of Greece in Simi. They had overstayed the total 90 days allowed in the total EU as per the Schengen Treaty. They had only been in Greece less than 30 days, but over the 90 day limit covering all the other countries combined. They were charged 1250 Euro per person in Simi for being in the EU longer than 90 days. When we cleared into Greece (and the EU for the first time) the Customs officer in Pythagorion (Samos) warned us that we must clear out of Greece no later than the 89th day, or we would be charged a high fee on the 90th day.

Just pointing out the possibilities and reminding non-EU readers than some places do rigidly enforce the Schengen Treaty limits.

Judy
S/V BeBe

I have frequently visited both Rhodes and Simi. I don't know the reason why but Simi has always been more problemetic. It is very closed to Turkish coast (8 nm) and many Turkish boats are going there, mostly motor yatchs for getting cheaper fuel. Remember that 90 % nof turkish motor yatches are carrying US flag (Delaware..) for not paying any tax in Turkey. This could be the reason, I don't know..
Talking about Simi, the port is very narrow, buttom is V shaped and not holding very well. The richiest man in the island is the drunk diver who is freeing the jammed anchors each morning for 100 € per boat :banghead:

Cheers

Yeloya

Palarran 15-08-2011 08:40

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Good Morning guys. I have a couple more questions about cruising Greece.

How hard is it to get ice? Is it available everywhere or seldom?

How about butane refill's? Do you just buy new gaz cylinders or do you refill your old ones? I'm looking at buying one of these: US LPG System Adapter

Thanks,
David.

goboatingnow 15-08-2011 14:16

Ice isn't a problem you can get it from the bars and supermarkets

Butane is best got using camping gaz , this is a bottle exchange system. Refils are available but are harder to find.

Dave

Frederik V 16-08-2011 02:24

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 709592)
That's some good information from everybody - thank you. I just received my Greek Waters Pilot and spent quite a few hours last night reading it. The more I imagine my trip, the more I think I'm better to visit fewer islands for longer periods. Like three days instead of 1, afterall, there are a lot of islands :) .

I'm still looking forward to posting the route and getting some advise from all of you. Thank you again.
David.

I have visited all Greek Islands south of Andros and my top 10 are :
Santorini (but go to the harbour in Ios and take the speedferry, unless your keel is less than 1,6 meter you go to the the Vlikhada harbour. Hire a car to visit Oia.)
Nisiros : and visit the Vulcano
Symi : and hire a scooter to drive around the island (panormitis)
Paros : visit Naoussa, anchor in the northern bay but first have a look at the harbour; you might find a place on the outside pier if you are lucky in the morning (beware of your rudder, go bows to)
Naxos : well equipped harbour and a very nice town
Astypalaia : Vathy - very peacefull with one little restaurant, plenty of room to anchor or go to the pier.
Kalymnos : Vathy (best to anchor or going to the pier as close as possible towards the sea)
Schoinoussa : the west bay
Levitha : try to arrive not later than 11 am to fin yourself a buoy. Anchoring in the bay on the westside is possible but I cannot recommand.
Mykonos : the town is worth a visit, well equipped harbour
Kythnos Loutra : and take a bath in the hotsprings running in the sea
Paxoi : on the westcoast of Greece (Ionic islands) on your way to Croatia, but that is another story ...

And don't go to :
Leros : Lakki

Frederik

Jacques2 16-08-2011 06:28

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 751543)
buy new gaz cylinders or do you refill your old ones? ]

David.

Hi ! It is possible to refill a camping gaz cylinder in some islands : I did it in Kalymnos last May. But you have to find a taxi to go to the gas station which is at about 3 kms from the port.

Palarran 24-08-2011 20:03

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 708683)
anyone know of any good Greek ferry sites for working out locations for exchanging crews?

I have tried using ferries.gr but their site is poorly designed and no useful mapping.

I don't want to be tied down to fixed dates and ports when cruising. I'd rather plan to be in certain regions on dates and make final meeting arrange just a day or two beforehand and sail to the nearest port that my crew can take a ferry to their airport island or back to Athens.

A map with ferry routes on it is what I need, then maybe ferries.gr will become useful.

I'm doing a similar situation. All my guests are flying from the states. I just found EasyJet out of London Gatwick. The ticket prices are super low. So, my friends can fly to London, check it out for a few days, then fly direct to the island I'm on.

Palarran 24-08-2011 20:09

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Thank you all for the information. I hope to see you on the water when I am there. I will buy a nice bottle of wine for us to enjoy. I am also learning to cook Greek dishes and enjoying it. I would like to post my route but it is constantly getting smaller. We feel it is better to visit fewer places and spend more time at those.

Palarran 03-10-2011 20:11

The Greek Meltdown
 
Is anyone concerned about cruising Greece next year? I'm constantly hearing they are going to be forced to leave the euro and that the drachma will be near worthless. It is supposed to be good for tourism as we will have a strong currency but I'm getting concerned that the country might go into gridlock. This would be a problem for many of my friends that are considering visiting us.

How do you think cruising will be affected next year?

Thanks,
David.

savoir 03-10-2011 21:04

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Greece going to the Drachma would be great for cruisers. The value of the Drachma would fall giving everyone the cheapest vacations in Europe. Greece's tourism industry would surge and might be the only industry to surge.

So far there are no signs of that happening.

hoppy 03-10-2011 23:00

On Thursday I was at the marina in Samos trying to call a taxi to get me to the airport but there was no answer. Only when I asked at the marina bar did I find out about the taxi strike. I went to the marina office and luckily the manager was about to go to the airport, so I got a lift.

My flight to Athens was delayed because of a air traffic controller flight. Then in Athens my flight home was delayed by a couple of hours for the same reason.

Dropping out of the euro may be a good thing for tourism but if they shoot themselves in the foot by causing chaos to tourists, then they will stay away. Whilst waiting at the airport I could not help thinking I would be avoiding Greece in the future if I did not have my boat there.

The Greeks need to understand that nothing good will come out of the strikes. Their economy is screwed and they need to grin and bare with it. At the end of the day the need to get organised and create a new political movement untainted by corruption who can oust the government at the next election. But I don't see that happening.

savoir 03-10-2011 23:07

Re: Tips for Greece
 
There were several riots in Athens last week but they received the barest media mention. It seems like they are all trying to put a positive spin on the bailout idea. I'm darned if I know why. It strikes me as just throwing good money after bad.

hoppy 03-10-2011 23:25

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Greece needs a massive cultural shift. So many cash transactions and no receipts and thus no taxes paid.

The European holiday culture does not help Greece the way whole countries go on holiday at once. It means that the tourist season in places like Greece, Spain and so on are only July & August whilst the summer is June to September. I was amazed how empty it was in September and yet it was great weather.

svBeBe 04-10-2011 00:35

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 789440)
Greece needs a massive cultural shift. So many cash transactions and no receipts and thus no taxes paid.

The European holiday culture does not help Greece the way whole countries go on holiday at once. It means that the tourist season in places like Greece, Spain and so on are only July & August whilst the summer is June to September. I was amazed how empty it was in September and yet it was great weather.

We spent 86 days in Greece over the summer -- going from Samos to Piraeus (stopped there several times) and various islands down to Crete before heading east again. Rented cars on several islands. Bought various trinkets; purchased a few boat items (including 13 batteries); visiting family members bought many souvenir items; visited lots of restaurants, etc. Not once was there a cash transaction without receiving a receipt; even when visiting a hair salon. The Greeks always gave us a receipt. We saw no evidence of a black economy. It might exist or it might be an assumption. But we saw none.

Judy
S/V BeBe


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.