Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Tips for Greece (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/tips-for-greece-56302.html)

Looking Glass 29-03-2011 13:44

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Hello!

When sailing from island Kos to the north it is often strong wind opposite.
Can be not possible go north as far as You want and You need good shelter.
At the channel between the island Kalimnos and island Leros on the north side is a big bay in southern side of Leros. The name of the bay is Xerokampos. It is completely sheltered and there are buoys for mooring. There is village over the bay, small one. Almost no shopping only two tavernas but the bay is nice and has long but narrow beach. Good place for rest in bad weather and the mooring at buoys is free, but of course You should go for eating to the taverna which name is written on the buoy. The dinner is not expensive and You will be safe here even in strong meltemi.

DoubleWhisky 30-03-2011 02:04

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looking Glass (Post 655302)
Hello!

When sailing from island Kos to the north it is often strong wind opposite.
Can be not possible go north as far as You want and You need good shelter.
At the channel between the island Kalimnos and island Leros on the north side is a big bay in southern side of Leros. The name of the bay is Xerokampos. It is completely sheltered and there are buoys for mooring. There is village over the bay, small one. Almost no shopping only two tavernas but the bay is nice and has long but narrow beach. Good place for rest in bad weather and the mooring at buoys is free, but of course You should go for eating to the taverna which name is written on the buoy. The dinner is not expensive and You will be safe here even in strong meltemi.


Yes, You are right - the shelter is good there and the place is nice :)

Here is the link for Xirokampos Bay:

Xirokampos (Xerokambos) Bay

Second similar place in the area, with good shelter, free mooring buoys and tavernas ashore You can find on the west side of Kalymnos Island:

Emporeios (Emborios) Bay

:)

Palarran 14-04-2011 19:42

Re: Tips for Greece
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm still working on my route and would appreciate a basic opinion. I have 10 weeks to cruise Greek waters. Right now I have most of the time in the Aegean and less in the Ionian Islands. I like the look of the trees and hills in the Ionian's and wonder if I should cut a week out of the Aegean and add it the the Ionian's.

I have attached a basic route for Google Earth. If you have GE installed, just download it and click on it.

I plan on perfecting it more then posting it on a separate thread for more specific route help.

Capitain Mike 14-04-2011 23:14

Re: Tips for Greece
 
I would certainly include Amorgos in your trip.

Aegina is nice but very busy with ferries which almost every 10 minutes.
The main harbour is very small and at high season the boats can be moored 3 x stern to bow.
Finikas is better than Hermopolis unless you want stores or repairs.
Loutra is attractive but arrive with money as the ATM is the other side of the island. I would spend more time in the Agean if you want wild beauty. I sailed from Lefkas to Amorgos and it took almost 3 months but my boat is very small 8.68mtr and we spent a lot of time in some ports. Aegina was almost 2 weeks. I think the decision should perhaps be paced on do you want to spend more time sailing or more time site seeing If I can help let me know.

markpierce 14-04-2011 23:58

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Don't say "calamari" when you mean to say "good morning."

Palarran 21-04-2011 08:00

Re: Tips for Greece
 
How much is diesel selling for in Greece? I'll probably have to refill in Crete and maybe around Mykonos.

I could also refuel in Malta and then Rhoades.

I've got about 200 hours of run time between generators and propultion.

Capitain Mike 21-04-2011 11:36

Re: Tips for Greece
 
There is a standard price but the further you go from Athens the price goes up especially if it is delivered to you by truck. Take cash as many of them will not or cannot take cards go here.

https://www.reisen-tcs.ch/etc/mediali...UR_essence.pdf

Capitain Mike 21-04-2011 11:39

Re: Tips for Greece
 
If your going North use your sails but have plenty of food and water on board in case the weather gets bad and you have to moor.anchor somewhere.

Palarran 21-04-2011 12:02

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Thanks Captain Mike. I plan on using my sails of course. But I have to run my generator for 6 hours per day. The price sheet is probably for buying diesel at a service station?

Capitain Mike 22-04-2011 02:30

Re: Tips for Greece
 
If you are on a small island you have to use the service station or have truck delivery so you got to get it to the boat yourself otherwise Marina prices aren't cheap either.

DoubleWhisky 22-04-2011 03:27

Re: Tips for Greece
 
At the moment prices for diesel in Greece are about 1,6 Euro/lt and are creeping up :(
It is expected the price will raise in summer up to 1,8 Euro/lt.

Greece is becoming the extremely expensive place for refuelling...
Summer 2011 price will be probably double summer 2009 price.

Capitain Mike 22-04-2011 09:31

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky (Post 671745)
At the moment prices for diesel in Greece are about 1,6 Euro/lt and are creeping up :(
It is expected the price will raise in summer up to 1,8 Euro/lt.

Greece is becoming the extremely expensive place for refuelling...
Summer 2011 price will be probably double summer 2009 price.

Is 1.75 here a litre already, more sails less engine

Palarran 01-05-2011 11:50

Re: Tips for Greece
 
So that's basically $10.25 / gallon. You are right, Captain Mike. More sail, less engine.

My generator should use about .75 gallons per hour on average. So it will cost $50/day just in diesel. We will be on the boat for 90 days that summer so I should expect a $4500 diesel expense.

Capitain Mike 01-05-2011 13:41

Re: Tips for Greece
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palarran (Post 678246)
So that's basically $10.25 / gallon. You are right, Captain Mike. More sail, less engine.

My generator should use about .75 gallons per hour on average. So it will cost $50/day just in diesel. We will be on the boat for 90 days that summer so I should expect a $4500 diesel expense.

For what do you run your Generator a hours a day?

beneteau-500 01-05-2011 13:52

Re: Tips for Greece
 
i filled up with diesel in Athens 4 weeks ago 500 liters cost me 1.50 euros per liter and was and seen a cat being filled yesterday on siros cost 1.65 liter for 150 liters


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.