Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning: Food & Drink (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/)
-   -   Tea for Cruising (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/tea-for-cruising-51306.html)

alicekrauss 11-12-2010 08:17

Tea for Cruising

I know most people would like to have wine or beer during those sails but for a change, tea such as oolong tea can be a good choice too as it can be relaxing and offers several health benefits among which is weight loss. How about you? What's your kind of drink and why do you like it? :popcorn:

hummingway 11-12-2010 08:55

Dpends on the time of day. Morning starts with fresh roasted coffee. After the days sailing and chores are done it might be a couple of beer. I usually have a bottle of good tequila and one of calvados on board. I drink them very moderately but might sip one as a night cap or after dinner. I like tea too and keep several varieties of Twinings on board. Green tea for a late day pickup.

boatman61 11-12-2010 09:02

Not a big tea drinker... but when I do fancy one its Earl Grey infused with lemon... Its nice to cut away the stale coffee taste with now and then...:thumb:

Bash 11-12-2010 09:07

an interesting article on oolong tea and weight loss:

Oolong Tea and Weight Loss

boatman61 11-12-2010 09:18

Nice link Bash... I'll add it to my file... TY:thumb:

Hannah on 'Rita T' 11-12-2010 09:29

And there is nothing better than Celestial Seasonings Orange Mandarin with a dash or a dollop of spiced rum on a cool evening. Just sayin'.

Simes 11-12-2010 09:41

The kettle is always on, PG Tips, 3 bags to a tea pot. 2 pints to a pot. get through 4 maybe 5 pots on a good day. Like it with a little milk, fresh is good, dried (powdered) is just fine when at sea, not keen on canned milk but SWM is.

Not that fussed about some of the so called "Fruit" teas, good old cookin' for me (if in the States then the Red label from Liptons is OK, if in Europe then the Yellow label is OK.

Nothing come close to PG Tips, although the "Lifeboat Tea from the RNLI is very good.

Simes

Simes

svHyLyte 11-12-2010 09:41

I would be careful about you store and carry tea. Some friends of ours in Long Beach (SoCal) used to carry a type of tea that comes in little hard bricks (you carve off a chunk to maek a pot of tea) that supposedly looks alot like black-tar heroin. They were stopped by the CG for a "safety inspection" on there way back to Long Beach from Catalina one Sunday and the coasties discovered the brick they had made tea with before they left Two Harbors and another they had double wrapped in zip-lock bags in their stores. This led to their being dragged into the CG Station in San Pedro and the boat all but disassembled. Evidently it took some while to get the matter straightened out and they didn't get full compensation for the damage to their boat.

FWIW...

CDunc 11-12-2010 10:04

Of all drink possibilities I find water the most refreshing, However a nice cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of sweet tea for dinner are always welcome. The only alcohol I allow on board is stove fuel.

mintyspilot 11-12-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simes (Post 576024)
The kettle is always on, PG Tips, 3 bags to a tea pot.

DO you have chimps on board? :devil:

Quote:

Not that fussed about some of the so called "Fruit" teas, ...

Agreed. I prefer leaf tea for a really decent drink, especially Twining's "English Breakfast" with eggs, bacon and sausage to kick start the day.

Tesco's Assam tea bags are actually quite decent. Surprised me....

hummingway 11-12-2010 13:22

Quote:

The kettle is always on, PG Tips, 3 bags to a tea pot. 2 pints to a pot. get through 4 maybe 5 pots on a good day.

If I drank that much tea I'd spend all my time unzipped hanging over the lifelines!!!

Unicorn Dreams 11-12-2010 13:47

LONG ISLAND ICE TEA works for me while at anchor, but to get back on subject..

Always have tea, especially on night trips. To me, on a cool night, it's more refreshing and warming when in the cockpit on watch..

Still like my coffee in the A.M. But otherwise tea the rest of the time..

JanetGroene 12-12-2010 09:29

It's ginger lemon tea for me when I need a pick-me-up. It's also said to help with mal de mer. Constant Comment tea has a kick of spice, perhaps too much for tea purists. Sweet tea purists here in Dixie, by the way, sweeten with simple syrup, never by stirring in sugar.

zopi 12-12-2010 09:39

Ahmad Ceylon Tea...can't seem to get it in the states...bought it at carrefour in dubai..

troppo 13-12-2010 04:24

Tea for me. I buy a reasonable quality bulk pack for everyday drinking and have little packets of more expensive tea, such as vanilla green tea, russian caravan, chai, for when I want something different. I also drink lots of water. Juice is nice too for something different.

Sometimes have coffee: When milk bottle in esky has only about a cup left, I put in coffee and sugar and shake it hard - frothy iced drink.

I have drastically reduced my alcohol intake from the times I only dreamed of owning a boat to now that I have one. Boating parts catalogs cover my desk and I try to tell myself the money I save by not cooling myself in the evening with a cold beer is going to a worthy cause.

I admit I bought a carton of beer the other day. One sixpack of the four has gone already. Yes, the guy who lets me store my dinghy on his private wharf for free was very grateful for my Christmas gift. I have another three 'gifts' left for other folk who help me out. My only hope is those that I help will remember me in a similar fashion - and in fact I was given a bottle of wine on Sunday for helping a bloke with a dinghy so life is going well.