Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Tech Support & Site Help (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Inappropriate Emoticons (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f10/inappropriate-emoticons-50362.html)

Weyalan 22-11-2010 14:53

I don't think what Gord is proposing is about Political Correctness (and, for the record, I abhor Political Correctness), I think it is about taking responsibility for what you posts and not being able to take a poke at another poster, with some sort of a a "get out of jail free card" excuse that using an emoticon means there is no come back or responsibility. Personally, I have no problem with being offensive... If I think that a person is being an ******* I will tell them so, bluntly or politely, depending on the degree of assholishness... but I won't hide behind emoticons.

perchance 22-11-2010 14:54

Point taken Gord.

Jim Cate 22-11-2010 14:59

FWIW,
Emoticons...
I've never used one of the things, and couldn't care less if they are removed... but surely we all have better things to worry about than their presence on the CF.

I reckon that folks who want to express unacceptable thoughts or feelings will continue to do so by some means or another.

Cheers,

Jim

GordMay 22-11-2010 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irie (Post 564336)
Emoticon users usually get a laugh out of me because they usually emphasize a point with humor.:popcorn:

What did the emoticon add to your comment? I just don't get it (I seldom do :confused:.

bljones 22-11-2010 15:03

People are offended by emoticons but "assholishness" gets a pass?
That's nuckin' futz.

foggysail 22-11-2010 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 564373)
That's nuckin' futz.

Well, it all depends on if it is said sweetly!

DeepFrz 22-11-2010 15:08

Quote:

What did the emoticon add to your comment? I just don't get it (I seldom do .:confused:
Is that an offensive emoticon??? :devil:

I mean really!!!

bljones 22-11-2010 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 564372)
What did the emoticon add to your comment? I just don't get it (I seldom do :confused:.

Gord, this almost sounds like you want to ban anything you don't understand. you don't understand what the emoticon meant. Not understanding made you feel bad, if you felt bad then that emoticon must have been intended to make you feel bad. Therefore it was rude. so you want it gone.

Why not just ask, as you did, "what did that mean?" when it comes up in the future.

bangkaboat 22-11-2010 15:15

:rolleyes:

Weyalan 22-11-2010 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 564373)
That's nuckin' futz.

Use of the word should not, in my opinion, be offensive unless it is specifically directed at somebody. By the same token, the phrase (emoticon) "flogging a dead horse" is not inherently offensive unless you are telling somebody that they are...

And, for the record, I don't think that spoonerising epithets makes them any less profane... ymmv

foggysail 22-11-2010 15:22

I think he wants to ban those things he does not like. That to me is means implementing greater use of PC!

Woops, another exclamination point.

foggysail 22-11-2010 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weyalan (Post 564387)
Use of the word should not, in my opinion, be offensive unless it is specifically directed at somebody. By the same token, the phrase (emoticon) "flogging a dead horse" is not inherently offensive unless you are telling somebody that they are...

And, for the record, I don't think that spoonerising epithets makes them any less profane... ymmv

Just cannot please everybody! I for one see no benefit in publicly using or displaying profanity

perchance 22-11-2010 15:26

What's the emoticon for stirring up a hornets nest?

bljones 22-11-2010 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weyalan (Post 564387)
By the same token, the phrase (emoticon) "flogging a dead horse" is not inherently offensive unless you are telling somebody that they are...

Why is stating a fact offensive? Advising someone that they are beating a dead horse is not offensive. Saying "You're beating a dead horse, a**hole" is.
In any event I do not think there is an emoticon for assholishness.

zeehag 22-11-2010 15:31

flogging a dead horse used to be , where i grew up, BEATING a dead horse, what is profane about that?? some folks tend to do that..is merely a descriptive phrase for saying the subject has been hashed over so many times we are tired of it. what is profane there?? nothing at all. isnt even about sex. lol