Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Rat Lines (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/rat-lines-49932.html)

dingoman 12-11-2010 11:46

Rat Lines

Hey Folks,
Was wondering if having ratlines are worth it or not? I will be in somewhat reefy areas, and have heard it is easy with ratlines to climb up a few rungs and check out the lay...........I was wondering if they may be too noisy during a squall or havy winds? Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Dingoman

GordMay 12-11-2010 13:01

The shrouds on PS31 will accommodate rat lines (diverge from mast to hull).
Costing next to nothing, they’re certainly worth it.

Astrid 12-11-2010 13:51

I would say so as well. Very useful in going aloft to the spreaders if you need to free a jammed halyard or whatever and get a bit of extra height for spotting. I can't say that I have noticed any increase in noise from the wind, but what's a little extra noise in the great scheme of things.

Dockhead 12-11-2010 14:07

Aren't they an awful lot of windage, though?

boatman61 12-11-2010 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dockhead (Post 558934)
Aren't they an awful lot of windage, though?

I have that problem with Heinz Baked Beans.....:(

Astrid 12-11-2010 14:14

good one boatman.

Unicorn Dreams 12-11-2010 14:22

Had them on Santana starboard shrouds only, wife preferred steering from the stbd side anyway, so it made it easier for her to see hand signals.

They only went up to the spreaders, so I don't think the weight and windage is such a big deal. what would they weigh, 7-8 lbs.

After all, i'm cruising not racing, not scared of a couple of pounds..

Brent Swain 12-11-2010 15:34

Definitely worth it. Less windage than a case of beer left on deck, or another crewman. Stainless boiler tubing from the scrapyard works well.

pressuredrop 12-11-2010 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 558912)

What determines if shrouds will accommodate ratlines?

sabray 12-11-2010 17:32

how will you attach them? My old ketch had them no problems but as we worry over things. Mine had galvy u bolts not ideal as it crushed against the strands and were supposed to rust. I pay some attention to water sitting against stainless anything after checking and replacing my chain plates. kinda neat but mast steps might work as well.

GordMay 13-11-2010 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pressuredrop (Post 559012)
What determines if shrouds will accommodate ratlines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 558912)

They diverge as they descend from mast to hull.

svHyLyte 13-11-2010 08:05

Some years ago I helped a friend install slats between his lower shrouds to serve as steps in place of rat lines. These consisted of 1/2" thick by 2" wide teak strips with 4 #10 bronze machine screws per set-one each on either side of each shround. While the edges of the slats were rounded off on top, they would still have been tough on ones feet so, between the shrouds, we wrapped the slats with 1/8" single braid with single half-hitches that created a somewhat spiral pattern. The boat was an older design and the ropework on the slats made her look very traditional.

The advantage of the slats over ratlines is that--in addition to being easier to stand on--the slats transmit the vertical loads directly into the shrouds without any horizontal tension tending to pull the shouds together.

FWIW...

zeehag 13-11-2010 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 559257)
Some years ago I helped a friend install slats between his lower shrouds to serve as steps in place of rat lines. These consisted of 1/2" thick by 2" wide teak strips with 4 #10 bronze machine screws per set-one each on either side of each shround. While the edges of the slats were rounded off on top, they would still have been tough on ones feet so, between the shrouds, we wrapped the slats with 1/8" single braid with single half-hitches that created a somewhat spiral pattern. The boat was an older design and the ropework on the slats made her look very traditional.

The advantage of the slats over ratlines is that--in addition to being easier to stand on--the slats transmit the vertical loads directly into the shrouds without any horizontal tension tending to pull the shouds together.

FWIW...

sounds like sturdy ratlines to me.. thankyou for the lay of these--lol no one placed them back after changing rig onthis boat-- are handy and helpful. mast steps do a different job and see different places than ratlines. they are very ugly on wood masts i find.(mast steps)

sabray 13-11-2010 09:36

right of course zee. I loved my slats/rat lines. Made jumping off the spreaders a treat. I should add I never lost my rig using them but did wonder what was happening to the wire . steps and rat lines are different. Now Im thinking I should consider rat lines.

zeehag 13-11-2010 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabray (Post 559295)
right of course zee. I loved my slats/rat lines. Made jumping off the spreaders a treat. I should add I never lost my rig using them but did wonder what was happening to the wire . steps and rat lines are different. Now Im thinking I should consider rat lines.

this ketch kinda NEEDS them....and baggywrinkles......and lazyjax......LOL