Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Passage Maker J-24 - Any Suggestions (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/passage-maker-j-24-any-suggestions-49365.html)

smo 01-11-2010 05:46

Passage Maker J-24 - Any Suggestions
 
has anyone set up a j-24 for passagemaking
I'mm looking to purchase a used sailboat for and extended singlehanded cruise

would like your input on how suitable the j-24 would be

and any suggestions on other racing boats of that size bracket 22-27

smo

svHyLyte 01-11-2010 06:03

MOdifying the J-24 might be a bit tough, and costly. COnsider, however, a J-30, see Extended Cruising

MarkJ 01-11-2010 06:04

Welcome to the forum :)

Perhaps defining "extended" would help... some peoples idea of extened is to the Bahamas.... other people include the 5 capes or a few canals. (No, not the ICW but Panama and Suez)

Also I note you mention the words 'cruise' and 'race'. If a cruising boat wouldnt do well in a race, why would a race boat be good in a cruise?

Third: Singlehanded.... Sometimes boats are known to add aditional crew as they travel... would a girly-whirly like the idea of a romantic kidnapping on such a boat? :)

Boat buying is fun :)


Mark

savoir 01-11-2010 06:14

Tell him he's dreamin'.

Ex-Calif 01-11-2010 06:20

Having raced J24s for about 4 years I would never consider one for anything but overnights.

I have done a delivery against the tide here and spent 12 hours on the boat. There is no backrest and the boat is very light. We were against tide so we pounded pretty much all day.

I was a wreck at the end of 8 hours.

smo 01-11-2010 06:42

what mods would you suggest on a j-24 for passage making (crossing the atlantic)
positive floatation
updated rigging
reef points in mainsail
auto pilot or windvane self steerer
positve locking hatch board


any other suggestions for a 22-28 foor racer style sailboat for a ocean passage>?

speciald@ocens. 01-11-2010 06:47

Don't J-24s have a problem of sinking when they heel too far as the cockpit hatches open and flood the boat?

Ex-Calif 01-11-2010 06:54

Crossing the Atlantic?

Yes - J24s have been broached in races when surfing under spin and with the hatch open they have flooded and sunk. Part of the racing game.

cal40john 01-11-2010 07:52

I can't find the picture now, but I've seen a picture of a J24 with crew standing on the keel to try and right it. I've been told that this would only occur if the boat had already started to take on water, but I believe that I've read that the point of vanishing stability is only 95 degrees. To me this boat doesn't broach or knockdown, it capsizes. Not something I want to deal with offshore. So I would do something ridiculous like add a keel extension, which leads to keel to hull reinforcement which leads to ...

John

Pete7 01-11-2010 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by smo (Post 551799)
any other suggestions for a 22-28 foor racer style sailboat for a ocean passage>?

Why the facination to covert a race boat for cruising?

If you gave a budget and the locations were you want to sale your sure to get some suitable answers, oh an dif you update your profile with your currrent location if will be even more specific and suitable advice.

In the meantime this boat won the recent OSTAR on handicap, bloody good effort in rebuilding her and then to win:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/fileBank/PDF/pbo-ostar-june09.pdf

Pete

Bash 01-11-2010 08:14

Passage-making in a J-24? Noooooooooooo! It's a totally wet boat. Even if you rigged a dodger you're still talking full foulies in the cockpit.

A good cruiser keeps its owner dry.

Sailmonkey 01-11-2010 09:08

The J-24 relies on rail meat to compensate for a lighter keel. We used to wet sand the bottom by sending a guy up to the masthead to pull the boat over........I'll not be singlehanding one of these anywhere other than a shallow bay or lake.

speedoo 01-11-2010 10:18

Biggest problem with the J-24 for extended cruising is, as already mentioned, the cockpit seating offers no back support. Other than that, it's really not a bad boat for single handed cruising, although it's probably too light and too tender for offshore.

on edit: the BEST thing about the J-24 for single handing is that the boat sails very well under main alone, even in winds of 10-12 knots. This is something that I wish more cruising boats would offer. I really don't understand why cruising boats all have to have big genoas with masthead rigs (rather than fractional)... it makes single handing so much more difficult.

ChrisClipper 01-11-2010 10:47

My brother just sailed his J 22 from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay and back, dual handed, so he could race his own boat there. He said he had a blast except for the fatigue. I also knew a couple that cruised a Shark 24 for year all over the Islands. Now would I do it? Nope, I like a lot of boat around me but if I pass anyone our there trying it in a little J then i will happily toss them a couple of cold beers.

Avalon119 01-11-2010 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal40john (Post 551833)
I've seen a picture of a J24 with crew standing on the keel to try and right it.
John

It was the J/24 North Americans in Rochester. Lots of swamping / sinking etc - was blowing a steady 30 knots - so imagine 40++ knots for 3 days and nights - no thanks. Love the boats, my dad had one and I have been on and around them for 20 years, but she's a lake boat. The best advice here is the Sigma 33 project mentioned. The J/24 is a dinghy with a keel.

lucast70 01-11-2010 12:59

I race with a J/24 the last 12 years. Offshore and class races. It feels as stable and forgivable as a 36 footer, at least in the Greek waters where I sail. But I would never recommend to anyone to take long passages with it. After 10 hours you will be really tired. Wind speed above 25 knots or waves with a length longer than 24 feet will make it even harder and very wet.

The link below shows an experiment some friends did, after a few cans of beer, 18 years ago :)

J24 Up-Side Down

speedoo 01-11-2010 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucast70 (Post 552031)
I race with a J/24 the last 12 years. Offshore and class races. It feels as stable and forgivable as a 36 footer, at least in the Greek waters where I sail. But I would never recommend to anyone to take long passages with it. After 10 hours you will be really tired. Wind speed above 25 knots or waves with a length longer than 24 feet will make it even harder and very wet.

The link below shows an experiment some friends did, after a few cans of beer, 18 years ago :)

J24 Up-Side Down

It's too bad the crew of the upside down J-24 forgot to secure the cockpit lockers. As you can see in pic #7 the starboard locker is wide open and water is flowing into the hull.

However, with cockpit lockers secured, and with hatches closed and the companionway washboard in place, very little water would have gotten into the boat, even upside down for a few minutes.

It's a tough, well-built boat that can handle very bad weather long enough to get its crew to safety as long as that crew knows what it's doing. I raced mine for about 15 years and would gladly sail one in unprotected waters as long as a safe harbor was 4 - 5 hours away. And if I were younger and had a solution to the lack of back support in the cockpit, I would not shy away from taking a properly prepared J-24 offshore.

lucast70 01-11-2010 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedoo (Post 552055)
It's too bad the crew of the upside down J-24 forgot to secure the cockpit lockers. As you can see in pic #7 the starboard locker is wide open and water is flowing into the hull.

However, with cockpit lockers secured, and with hatches closed and the companionway washboard in place, very little water would have gotten into the boat, even upside down for a few minutes.

It's a tough, well-built boat that can handle very bad weather long enough to get its crew to safety as long as that crew knows what it's doing. I raced mine for about 15 years and would gladly sail one in unprotected waters as long as a safe harbor was 4 - 5 hours away. And if I were younger and had a solution to the lack of back support in the cockpit, I would not shy away from taking a properly prepared J-24 offshore.

Believe me, they had no time to secure anything. It was a joke anyway. :)

J/24 is an absolutely secure boat. I have sailed it under 37 knots true wind speed, during a national championship in Crete, back in 2001. I have sailed it in the Aegean with 8-9ft tall waves. I never felt to be in danger. But it is not a long passage maker anyway.

The picture below was taken in Nov, 2006 in the Saronic Gulf. The wind speed was more than 30 knots.

Lucas Tsatiris's Photos | Facebook

roverhi 01-11-2010 22:14

If you are serious about cruising in a smaller boat look at this one. Tartan 27 S&S cruising sloop, diesel, refit

A J24 has got to be about the most uncomfortable and ill suited boat for passage making.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.