Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Charter Vacation - Italy vs Greece vs Croatia - Pros and Cons ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/charter-vacation-italy-vs-greece-vs-croatia-pros-and-cons-38463.html)

danedee 28-03-2010 14:58

Charter Vacation - Italy vs Greece vs Croatia - Pros and Cons ?

I have a free plane ticket anywhere in the world, one way. That doesn't expire...(well, its more complicated than that... but basically that's what it is)

To take advantage of this, my wife and i want to go sailing... we've done BVI and st vincent and the grenadines, and we're thinking a week in greece or italy or croatia would be PERFECT.

We're looking for delicious FOOD, we're looking for warm water, and light but steady breezes, and places (villages/towns/cities) that we can explore just as much as we sail. We're not professional sailors... but have bareboated like i said, and we both have our captains licenses...(St V and G was an adventure, wouldn't make that my first solo in a 36' mono again!)

We're kindof leaning towards greece, but then we have to choose between the ionians and the ageans.... i know next to nothing about any of the places we're considering, (besides what the glossy brochures lure me with) so i'm hoping some good folks from here, who've been there, can give me some pros, some con's and some recommendations on 'what not to miss' if i go to where they recommend.

TIA!

~pilotguy

PaulSommers 28-03-2010 15:46

Three years ago my wife and I, plus another couple, chartered a Bavaria 34 in Athens and sailed around among the Cyclades islands. We all loved it. For history, make your way to Delos. For incredible views, go to Naxos, leave your charter boat and take the ferry to Santorini (no anchorage on Santorini). For good food, any island will do. The marina is likely to involve Med-mooring to a quay right next to downtown - the nearest restaurant will be in site as you go ashore on a plank with your stern only a few feet from the quay. We went in the spring "shoulder season" to avoid crowded marinas and much hotter summer weather; the charter fee was a few hundred dollars less. Wind for sailing was not bad - we motored some days, and got stuck on Siros for 4 days due to high winds - there is a higher probability of "meltemi" winds that will keep you in port during the summer than in the spring. On a couple of islands we rented a car for about $25 a day and drove around to get a different perspective and to try some recommended out of town restaurants. Croatia and Italy have much to recommend them, too, but I'd go back for a few more weeks in Greece at the drop of a hat.

danedee 28-03-2010 17:18

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! May I ask who you chartered through and whether you'd use them again? What base they were out of etc? I'm a fan of learning from other peoples experiences. Thx! And looking forward to hearing from other people as well!

beneteau-500 29-03-2010 07:39

re paul sommers coment on santorini there is plenty of anchorage there and i pick greece re the cyclades any day

Jacques2 29-03-2010 09:43

Hi !
If your choice is Greece - and it looks like !- the answer to your question depends IMHO on the season you go for sailing. If it is spring, let's go sailing in the Cyclades. If it is summer, Ionian island or south coast of Turkey are more convenient. In summer, the Meltemi can a bit strong in Aegean with a very uncomfortable sea when in face. For example, in 1978, I rented a boat for a week in Porto Rafti and I remember that we never get out of the port ! The port authorities forbid it to all sailboats for the whole week. The wind was always between 8 and 10 Beaufort...
Last year, we had to stay in Lavrio for 5 days waiting for a decrease of the wind. Of course it can be less windy ! But we have been sailing in this aera for years on Metis, and our experience is that we met many persons from different countries who have rented a boat for a week in Cyclades (summer) and were not in capacity to get back by themselves (they had to call a professional skipper) or not at time to get their plane !

Oh ! in less than 3 Weeks we will be back on Metis and we intend to sail agian towards Cyclades and Sporades. Thanks for your question : it is an opportunity to think about this wonderfull sailing aera !
(Sorry for my english !)

PaulSommers 29-03-2010 11:13

danedee - We went through an outfit called Sailing in Blue. They are based in Athens but can make boats available at several of the islands in lieu of Athens. The Kalamaki Marina in Athens seems to have dozens of charter operations so you have lots of choice.

beneteau-500 29-03-2010 12:46

if sailing the Cyclades i recommend you try the company's based on paros island if you are only doing a 7day sail in athens all the main charter boats are located at alimos marina

sobriyah 29-03-2010 15:32

Charter- Italy v Greece v Croatia

We sailed all 3 destinations, summers of 2005+2006. My recollections in a nutshell.

Italy - great food, great people, more motoring than sailing, hot windless days between raging Mistrales, expensive marinas, long passages between packed summer anchorages.

Greece - same food in every taverna, nice people, never having to sail far, lots of inexpensive harbours and anchorages, choice of sailing in strong Meltemi winds in the Saronic or Cyclades, or gentler sea breezes in the Ionian, where some islands are packed with other charter yachts. Then there's sailing the Dodecanese and hopping over to Turkey to consider. plenty of choices.

Croatia - good food in Istria, mediocre elsewhere, few happy smiling faces, more anchorages than you can shake a stick at but also 1500 charter boats and a combined German and Italian invasion in the summer, getting more expensive every year, usually gentle sailing in sea breezes but watch out for the Bora.

There you have it.

danedee 30-03-2010 16:43

sobr, thanks for the synopsis, i'm definately leaning towards greece.... and italy.... I'm wondering though... if i DO go in the summer, I definately don't want to get stuck anywhere with the meltemi's...(high winds, i've gathered). Italy would be a good backup, but sounds like more of the same....

Bene: what are some of the charter companies on Paros that you would recommend?

*sigh* I don't want my vacation to be a waste... and i can't afford to sit in one harbor for a week, waiting on winds... perhaps i ought just do a trip to somewhere else.... austrailia or NZ? or the BVI again...? *sigh*

thanks for all of the replies!

sobriyah 30-03-2010 21:18

From what you have said, you should probably look at the Dodecanese and Turkey, or the Ionian Islands.Generally gentle sailing and lots of anchorages/picturesque harbours/culture. Not exactly gourmet dining, but Mediterranean cuisine all the same. I would certainly go back there. In the Ionian Islands there is a lot of flotilla sailing, but once you have their itineraries, you can easily avoid them all.

Ram 31-03-2010 03:26

Greek Islands cant be beat- start from an upwind location then sail downwind drop off the boat and fly home! Or get a crewed boat-and let the Capt sail it back upwind-

Jacques2 31-03-2010 05:02

Danedee,
If you cannot avoid high season, you are right when you say : "Italy would be a good backup..."
Along west italian coasts, you have not the Meltemi ! And you can have a wonderfull sailtrip from an island to another one. Between Elba (North) to Capri (i am sure you have heard about it !), you have Giglio, Ventotene, Ischia, Procida..., The Gulf of Napoli (where you can visit Pompei and Herculanum , probably the famoust roman ruins...). Have a look to a map...
And you will have very goood food everywhere.
You may prefer Sicily, with the wonderfull Eolian islands (volcanic islands, stupendous for snorkeling !) on the NE or the Aegadi islands on the NW and a trip to Malta.
Indeed, you have a lot of choices.

beneteau-500 31-03-2010 09:39

danedee i would recomend easysailing they are based in athens and have various charter bases and i recomed starting from paros for one simple reason is that from alimos marina to the cyclades islands is a 110 nm trip so if you have only limited time then you are better of starting in the cyclades and you will see alot more , you can either catch a fast ferry or a slow ferry from the port of pierus in athens to paros high speed ferry 3hrs 55 euros one way slow ferry 4hrs 30 euros i always catch the slow ferry to sit on the top deck to soak up the sun

Tnd 23-03-2011 05:49

Re: Charter Vacation - Italy vs Greece vs Croatia - Pros and Cons ?

Definitely Croatia! Or even maybe Montenegro. Montenegro because is much cheeper than any other country that you mentioned. You easily charter a boat in Montenegro and come in Croatia, Greece...

DoubleWhisky 23-03-2011 07:44

Hello :)
The best food You can – of course – find in Italy, but Greece is quite nice also. The Croatia – for that reason - is the worst option in my personal opinion.
Greece is still the cheapest of the three, because the harbours are mostly almost free.
In Croatia You need to pay a lot not only for marinas, but also for town quays, mooring buoys and even for anchoring in a lot of places. Food is also cheaper in Greece and – as long as You don’t stick to quayside tavernas – is better also.

For a Greek one week cruise in July - August I would personally (and I have rather no small experience in the area) opt for southern part of Dodecanese. Starting point should be Kos Marina on Kos Island. Depending on the charter company You can arrange for returning the boat the same place or - much better - do it "one way" with the destination harbour on Rhodes. The second option will be a little more pricey, may be - if the company can not easily arrange for another one way from Rhodes to Kos, but in high season it shouldn't be a problem. Just prepare for a little bargaining.
The itinerary can include the Nisiros Island (see "Tips For Greece" thread at the same sub-forum), Tilos Island, Simi Island, and finally the Rhodes.
You will be protected by Kos and Turkish coast all the time, so even stronger winds will not disturb You much. It will be reaching all the way. Kos and Rhodes are great for sightseeing, the Nisiros has its interesting volcano, Tilos is nice "off the way spot" and Simi is a real gem -one of the most beautiful places in Greece with some nice coves for swimming and sunbathing.

I would not advise the Ionian in the peak of season – Italian crowds are really unbearable at this time…
And Montenegro is really small place - good for weekend. For going to Greece or Croatia from Montenegro and back - a week is too short.
Regarding the charter itself – how big is Your party, what kind of boat You are looking for (mono or cat), how well should it be equipped, should it be bareboat, skippered or crewed charter? With these information I probably can give You some responsible advice.

Best regards

Tomasz

Tnd 23-03-2011 09:33

I agree that one week is too short to visit Greece from Montenegro, but for Croatia-it's not. It's pretty close. I really can't agree that Greece is much more beautiful than Croatia,no it's not, at all. That's maybe because i'm from Croatia, but that is my opinion. Whatever you decide, it's obvious that one week is too short to see everything. Best solution would be that each summer you visit one country ;)

DoubleWhisky 23-03-2011 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnd (Post 650499)
I really can't agree that Greece is much more beautiful than Croatia,no it's not, at all.

Agree with this - both countries are different, but both are beatiful really. Saying this - I personally do prefere visit Croatia from shoreside, by car (do not like this in Greece), and for me Greece offer more interesting and varied cruising ground when going for sailing vacations. But it is only my personal choice - we all are biased, one way or another :D

Tnd 23-03-2011 12:03

With that- I can agree :D
All countries all beautiful, one way or another. Too bad that you prefer Greece. But if you ever decide to come and sail in Croatia, we will show you that we can be better than Greece :D :D

DoubleWhisky 23-03-2011 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnd (Post 650642)
With that- I can agree :D
All countries all beautiful, one way or another. Too bad that you prefer Greece. But if you ever decide to come and sail in Croatia, we will show you that we can be better than Greece :D :D

Been there some times from land but also sailed there. Hope You will be in EU shortly - less formalities to come by boat :D

Tnd 23-03-2011 12:15

We also hope to become EU member soon. Till then, chartering a boat is option :)

DoubleWhisky 24-03-2011 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnd (Post 650665)
We also hope to become EU member soon. Till then, chartering a boat is option :)

Really hope next year it will be done. May be you do not know, but speeding up the things regarding the matter was declared as one of top priorities form incoming Polish preidency in EU. I'm really looking forward to it :flowers:

Tnd 24-03-2011 04:48

A lot of people in Croatia are expectant in that matter. We will see what will happen. But, that is subject for another forum :)
You maybe coming in Croatia this year? Do you have you own boat or?

DoubleWhisky 24-03-2011 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnd (Post 651257)
You maybe coming in Croatia this year? Do you have you own boat or?

Yes, I do :)
Details are under my avatar :)
May be I will go to Adriatic next year.

Best regards - let's stop the thread drift :whistling:

Tomasz

Tnd 24-03-2011 10:40

Contact me if you come, maybe we can organize little sailing tour :D
Best regards,
Tnd

wryanddry 24-03-2011 11:47

For Greece try this website: Sailing Greece - free yachting and charter holiday guide to sail the Greek islands - yacht charters Greece very comprehensive loads of info though the itineraries provided for a week are a little ambitious. We didn't cover the ground we planned to cover based on one of the 1 week itineraries. We ended up chartering from Sailing In Blue from Athens and had a great experience. The Beneteau Oceanis 393 was clean and well equipped (if a little older) and in great condition (apart from the knot-meter not working (glad i took my handheld gps) and a slightly smelly aft head). Be aware that bareboat with SIB means exactly that, based on the info from the sailingissues website we were expecting some things like salt pepper cooking oil and condiments to be included but they weren't. Up to date charts and the indispensable Rod Heikells Greek Water Pilot were on board. really enjoyed Poros, Angistri but my favorite was Epidavros.

pjosip 30-03-2011 02:42

This is my rough calculation of average daily cost for sailing in Croatia for shorter tours (2-3 days) with at least 5 person on boat. Pay attention, this cost can go up or down, but after years of sailing I came up with this calculation. And let me tell you - we are not stingy. We like comfort and rarely sustain from providing all the things our stomachs, throats or spines desire.

100 euros per person

That includes:

- the renting of the boat
- the skipper
- marinas and anchoring costs
- food
- drink (we are drinking pretty much)
- at least once in 3 days you go to eat in the restaurant

This cost will increase if:

- you are renting in high season (June to August)
- you are visiting restaurant more often (the kilo of high quality fish is cca 40 euros)

This cost will decrease if:

- you are not hiring a skipper (the skipper is cca. 100 euros per day high season).
- you don't visit restaurant or don't drink that much.

goboatingnow 30-03-2011 03:54

Quote:

Food is also cheaper in Greece and – as long as You don’t stick to quayside tavernas – is better also
a key point.

Btw, ive charted in Italy, Greece and Croatia, and done several deliveries into all of them. I still prefer Turkey.

If you want great food, and cutesy villages, Id go for a sail around Corsica, Despite what all the Italians say, France is the best for food, its an attitude thing. Onlty thing in peak seasons corsica is packed.

Croatia is now very expensive ( 2010) and the hordes of boats looking for marina space is tiresome, we found we need to be in before 3pm to secure a space in the popular islands. Food was middle of the road, some fabulous meals of local food and some poor ones. Croatia used to be reasonably priced but now well....

Greece, in my experience if you want light winds its has to be the Ionian, yes youll have lots of begiiner flotillas, but you can easily avoid them. Greece is cheaper, food is quite good, especially away from the dockside. Drink is fairly cheap.

Italy, well in my opinion, you can forget the adriatic side, The west side is fine, but gets very crowded and some of the marinas are not good quality. Up along the Italian riveria is nice, lots of expensive marinas, expensive but good food and mixing with the glitterati. However if I wanted ( and I have done) the Riveria, I stay and sail the Cote D'azure, best food anywhere but marina spaces are impossible to find.

Corsica is a wonderful place to sail, as in Sardinia and Sciliy,. Crowds and expensive marinas aside ( 50-70 euros per night typ).

The Cyclades in Greece is very beautiful, the summer winds can scare the "bejeasus" out of people, the charter business is full of frightened charters "unable" to get the boat back to the base. If you have a good crew and dont mind the odd blow, then its not a problem.

Its a spolit for choice problem , really

Dave

Dockhead 30-03-2011 04:07

One bit of advice from years of chartering -- one week is not enough to really get into any kind of cruising groove. You usually arrive on a Saturday, and your boat is usually not available before noon (the previous charterers will have left only that morning and the boat has to be cleaned and checked). So Saturday is not much of a sailing day. Sunday through Thursday are real sailing days -- that's just five days. Then Friday you need to get back to where you rented the boat from.

It's just not enough to really get into the groove, really explore over any kind of distances. I really recommend two weeks, or at least, 10 days (a few charter operators offer 10 days).

Like Dave I highly recommend Turkey -- lovely country, friendly, cheap yet civilized, clean, excellent marinas and services, excellent food, and spectacular cruising grounds, excellent things to do on land too. Greece and Croatia are also wonderful, but Turkey would be at the top of my list of the three of them for a week or two of chartering.

DoubleWhisky 30-03-2011 04:47

For some reason - known to him - OP was asking for advice regarding Italy, Greece and Croatia. I agree that Turkey is interesting destination, but it was out of question... :)
From the three given countries - for a first in the area, one week charter I think the Greek Ionian Islands and southern Dodecanese Islands are most attractive option. As tp avoiding the peak of high season - it is true for every popular charter destination. Just remember - the peak in the Ionian is longer and even more packed up than on Dodecanese.
Regarding weather - Ioniand has somewhat milder weather pattern than Dodecanese, but on the south of Dodecanese You are sheltered for most of the time.
And... the worst weather I ever met in Greece was a thunderstorm in Ionian ;) It displaced the pontoons in Levkas Marina...
A little scary experience, but extremely rare, I must admit.

pjosip 30-03-2011 05:27

I have impression that you find pricing as number one condition when judging about the destination.

DoubleWhisky 30-03-2011 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjosip (Post 655862)
I have impression that you find pricing as number one condition when judging about the destination.

No, I do not think so.
First for all I would never advise anybody to charter a cheap boat.
It is simple - low price = not well maintained boat.

But on the other hand there are a lot of places just overpriced food, fuel, mooring fees etc.), sure You know some yourself.

There are some places when You can choose to spend more or less by adjusting Your plan accorddingly, and there are places where You have not much choice or even no choice at all.

And for some people the price guide is important, so You can not give honest advice without mentioning prices :)

pjosip 30-03-2011 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky (Post 655959)
But on the other hand there are a lot of places just overpriced food, fuel, mooring fees etc.), sure You know some yourself.

Well, let me tell you another side of the story.

I know the guy who lived on the boat for 3 years with no money, whatsoever.

He was fishing and that's how he lived. During summer time he would sell the fish he caught to restaurants and that's how he made some money to buy fuel.

He said he avoided commercial places and had no problems.

You should know that pricing comes from demand. Someone mentioned that Croatia has become rather popular.

Let's be honest here, you can't find a boat to rent in high season due to demand. Would you keep your prices low and attract more people to already overflooded coast?

I don't think so.

The most important thing is that you can go without paying a single cent. Just avoid commercial places and if you happen to stumble of someone who wants to charge you, you ask him to show his authorisation and when he does you explain that you are a sailing enthusiast with no money and move to another place.

Off course, this tactic will hardly work if you have fancy boat with bunch of people onboard.

Roaring Girl 30-03-2011 22:50

Slightly lost track of OP, I'm afraid. Can't comment east of Italy but have spent last two or three years in S France/W Italy and agree that we have found all the isalnds from Elba to Sicily to have a great deal to recommend them. In a week then, as goboatingnow, says look at Corsica/Sardinia:

great food - Corsica not the best of French but much better than it was. Sardinia some amazing food. (Elba also fab for food if you go that way)

Walking etc: Wonderful mountains if you do get stuck by weather (mistrals in spring). Corisca and Sardinia have lots of neolothic and other prehistoric remains with a great museum in Cagliari if you go that far south

Anchoring - in season they do get crowded, but try even in June and you'll find a lot of space. Also september.

Sailing - a good cruising ground to do short sails if you so fancy or longer ones if the forecast if helpful and you have the time. If you go to the Italian mainland you will find much less sailing choice than the islands.

HTH

Ingeborg i mevi 30-03-2011 22:59

We have yet to experience Italy by yacht, but we have sailed in Greece several times, and enjoyed two fantastic weeks in Croatia last year. We're going back to Greece twice this year, and then again in 2012, but will definitely visit Croatia again. Two different experiences, both highly enjoyable in their own right.

In 2013 we'll sail Ingeborg back to Norway, and hope to discover some of the italian coastline as well, in addition to the rest of the Med.

DoubleWhisky 31-03-2011 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjosip (Post 656558)
You should know that pricing comes from demand. Someone mentioned that Croatia has become rather popular.

Let's be honest here, you can't find a boat to rent in high season due to demand. Would you keep your prices low and attract more people to already overflooded coast?

I don't think so.

Dear pjosip,

my remarks were general - You are obviously counting all of them as hostile comments regarding Croatia. It is simply not true.
Let me put it this way - there are a lot of people happily going for a vacation on St. Barth. But it is very expensive place - because of demand. So it is the right place only for rich people.
When someone will ask me if it is better to go to St. Barth or to St. Lucia i will answe that both places are beautiful, St. Barth is somewhat more safe place to be, but it is much more expensive than St. Lucia.
I do not think it would be unfair. I do not regard asking somebody how much money he has or wish to spendas appropriate, so I'm just pointing the price differences.

I like Croatia very much - You probably know it is quite popular tourist destination in Poland. I also chartered there. It was nice time - really.
I will probably be back there by my boat - as soon as Croatia will be EU member. Hope it is matter of months rather, than years. :)

I do also understand that Croatia is not very big country and the Croatian cruising ground is much more limited than - for example Greek one.
With much of popularity it means that demand compared to resources is huge, so the level of the prices is (in my personal opinion) by no mean unreasonable. But this my opinion does not matter much. As You know well the balance between demand and supply is achieved by part of potential customers driven off to other suppliers by the level of price. Nothing strange in it :)

Is Croatia (in my personal opinion) fine cruising ground? - YES
Is Greece (in my personal opinion) fine cruising ground? - YES
Does Greece (in my personal opinion) offer more diversified sailing possibilities, than Croatia? - YES
Is Croatia (for average cruiser or charterer) more expensive destination than Greece? YES

And regarding charter prices (meaning the cost of chartering the boat):
I do personally believe, that the market in Europe is UNDERPRICED and that charters should be more expensive.
The existing level of prices was caused by different issues and not the least important between them was the long term policy of main boat producers to heavily subsidize the sales for charter market. They paid the price of course - one of the biggest went bankrupt in the matter of fact and was taken over for debts - but the market is where it is. At the present prices charter operators work for their margin by decapitalisation of the boats and it is the reason of rather bad maintenance of charter boats thorough the Europe.
So - I would never suggest to keep charter prices low. I think they must increase substantially in time and I think it will be in long term interest of charterers.

Cheers

Tomasz

goboatingnow 31-03-2011 06:55

Quote:

So - I would never suggest to keep charter prices low. I think they must increase substantially in time and I think it will be in long term interest of charterers.
well heres a comment that shows no understanding of current market economics

Dave

DoubleWhisky 31-03-2011 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by goboatingnow (Post 656743)
well heres a comment that shows no understanding of current market economics

Dave

Not so bad with me...
I meant long time, Dave, not a year or two...
Look at the charter prices, boat prices, operators/agent fees, depreciation rates and running costs of boats.
By average this business is under break even level at the time and this can not be such forever. But it can last for quite a time :)
And - of course - I'm talking only about AWB charters. The charter of big boats is completely different thing...

Best regards

Tomasz

goboatingnow 31-03-2011 07:23

Quote:

This business is under break even level at the time and this can not be such forever. But it can last for quite a time https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif
The charter industry enjoyed spectactular growth and good profits during the later 90's and upto mid 2005,Large numbers of firms entered the marker. They then started to price themselves out of the market, thinking that teh good times would never end. Now they have an expensive product and a market share that is falling.

The key is to return to cost effective pricing and attract the average punter. it matters not that its at break even level or under , it matters that you have a product that is priced right. Thinking you can simply increase pricing to overcome loose cost control is a big mistake

Dave

DoubleWhisky 31-03-2011 07:48

Accidentally I work for investment fund which - for a moment only - considered the possibility of investing in boat industry.

I went through the analysis made, just for curiosity. At least sailing is my hobby :)
You can be right - to some extent - regarding some local markets - but, I do believe, not in general. Of course, a lot depend on the future policy of main European boatbuilders and their ability to renew preferences for charter market, but it will be rather difficult for them for some time. Most of the charter business is heavily concentrated in the Eastern Med, and there was not increase in prices of charters from the 2005 or 2006. Actually the effective contractual prices there were creeping down all the time and hit the bottom with the credit crunch.

But: we are far off-topic now, and we need some four to six years to witness the outcome :)

So - Italy or Greece or Croatia, all are great destinations and the charter itself is really not so expensive for now :)

pjosip 31-03-2011 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky (Post 656727)
Is Croatia (for average cruiser or charterer) more expensive destination than Greece? YES

Have you considered that you are better acquainted with Greece and know the shortcuts and ways around?

I am asking you this because I heard people saying that difference in prices is not that much obvious.