Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Does Chain Stopper Wear / Damage Chain ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/does-chain-stopper-wear-damage-chain-36927.html)

nitpik 23-02-2010 17:39

Does Chain Stopper Wear / Damage Chain ?

It seems to me that a good chain-stopper, especially the ones with a groove to align the links, must gradually wear the galvanizing from the chain. After all, even if disengaged, the chain always has to grind through it, going out and coming back in. Even if made of polished SS, there must be some wear and tear. Anyone with actual experience on this issue?

s/v Jedi 24-02-2010 00:19

Not an issue at all with our Maxwell chain stopper.... but I've seen other designs where I wouldn't be so sure.

A chain stopper is like a fire extinguisher: it can save the boat one day, as it did for us during a hurricane.

cheers,
Nick.

James S 24-02-2010 01:42

I would think that the wear wouldn't be any different than the wear from link to link if we compare surface area in contact.

nitpik 24-02-2010 07:02

Thanks for the input - now if I can just figure out a way of installing one on my boat. Anyone know of a chain stopper that mounts vertically, on a chain coming straight up to the gypsy from a deck hawsepipe?

btrayfors 24-02-2010 07:29

Sounds like this might be one of those days :-) Did Tom Colvin actually design it that way???

Good luck,

Bill

s/v Jedi 24-02-2010 08:08

nitpik: pls. explain your setup... the stopper must be between the windlass and the bowroller, not between windlass and chain locker!

cheers,
Nick.

sigmasailor 24-02-2010 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitpik (Post 409172)
Thanks for the input - now if I can just figure out a way of installing one on my boat. Anyone know of a chain stopper that mounts vertically, on a chain coming straight up to the gypsy from a deck hawsepipe?

If I were you I would look between the gypsy and the bow roller. The purpose of the stopper is to take the strain of your windless.

btrayfors 24-02-2010 08:48

I think you two Dutch fellows misunderstood. If I understand the OP correctly, the chain comes up through a hawsepipe directly from outside the hull, just like on a big ship. It comes thru the deck just below the gypsy, then I assume goes round the gypsy and drops into the chain locker.

Look at the pic...I doubt there is a chain roller.

Is this correct NitPik?

B.

sigmasailor 24-02-2010 09:11

Guess your are right. I didn't look at the picture (nice boat!). Just assumed it was as I am used to on the average yacht.
A picture of the actual layout on deck would sure help to understand this.

Stillraining 24-02-2010 10:37

What Picture?..I see no picture posted.

sigmasailor 24-02-2010 10:43

The avatar is quite detailed.

s/v Jedi 24-02-2010 10:55

If it is like that I wouldn't use a chain stopper at all. How about a piece of chain with a chain hook and use it much like a snubber. You can use chain one size up from the anchor chain or maybe just two huge shackles, one to the hook and the other to a strong point.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi 24-02-2010 10:57

But a Maxwell chainstopper would work vertical too if you have the spot to mount it... which must be very strong.

cheers,
Nick.

Stillraining 24-02-2010 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmasailor (Post 409334)
The avatar is quite detailed.

Dang your young Eyes anyway!.......I think I see a boat... :p

Hiracer 24-02-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrayfors (Post 409228)
I think you two Dutch fellows misunderstood. If I understand the OP correctly, the chain comes up through a hawsepipe directly from outside the hull, just like on a big ship. It comes thru the deck just below the gypsy, then I assume goes round the gypsy and drops into the chain locker.

Look at the pic...I doubt there is a chain roller.

Is this correct NitPik?

B.

I think this is similar to my setup, although I do have a chain roller forward of the hawsepipe on a 3/4" pin. The roller is about half way out the 14" bowsprit. The hawsepipe is below and slightly starboard of the centerline for the bowsprit, the roller being off center too.

Just aft of the windlass I have a chain hook welded inside the box in which sits the below-deck windlass, so I can hook the chain to relieve the windlass.

Maybe that helps. Don't have pictures, sorry.

[Edit: Upon further reflection, actually the snubber-to-cleat take the anchor line pressure. The chain hook is merely there to save the windlass in the event the snubber or cleat goes out.]