Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   OpenCPN General (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-general-30946.html)

wingssail 08-06-2022 21:04

Re: OpenCPN General

1 Attachment(s)
Broken OpenCPN-CM93 Charts Stopped Working

Today while viewing a variety of GE2KAP charts my CM93 charts stopped working. I get totally grey screen with all my nav objects present, or if scrolling out I get the basic world view map.

My other charts work (such as MbTiles and raster charts charts I have scanned)

I have reinstalled O and reinstalled older versions.

Version 4.4.8 works fine.
No Version 5's work

I have restored navobj files to before the issue, no improvement.
I deleted the opencpn.ini and did a new install, and there is no change.

I have included a screen shot tries to include the latest log file but it apparently is not an acceptable format.

I can create a tracker/fly spray record if that would be helpful.

Fredrick Roswold

bdbcat 08-06-2022 21:29

You are in single-chart mode. Switch back to quilt mode, and report, please.

Thanks
Dave

wingssail 09-06-2022 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdbcat (Post 3636287)
You are in single-chart mode. Switch back to quilt mode, and report, please.

Thanks
Dave

Dave, I think that "single chart mode" means Chart Quilting is not Enabled.

I have checked that. It was enabled, and anyhow I toggled it off and on without change.

HOWEVER

I have solved the problem by deleting (renaming) all the opencpn folders including those in Program Data and then reinstalling O. That worked. Then I went through all my folders and copied the older files into the new folders and tested. When I copied opencpn.ini the problem returned. So now I know that something in .ini was blocking the CM93 charts (presumably chart quilting).

At any rate I have solved the problem though without having a complete understanding, I'm OK.

Thanks for the response.

bdbcat 09-06-2022 08:22

Wingsail...

I would be interested in looking at the .ini file that prevented cm93 display, if you still have it.
Post here, if possible.
Thanks
Dave

wingssail 09-06-2022 12:13

I'm sorry, I don't have it. Honestly I've gotten pretty confused by the
number of instances I've set up and the variations I tried, and I failed
to protect it before overlaying.
If it happens again I'll be more careful.
Fred

rgleason 19-06-2022 18:37

Happy Father's Day to Dave R.

..the Father of OpenCPN.

Smilesbernard 30-06-2022 13:41

Hello folks
I've been using opencpn with great success on my Ubuntu laptop using the ships gps
I've recently installed opencpn on a couple of new android Samsung phones.. a52s model
The GPS location is regularly incorrect which results in the ships position jumping about as the GPS pos is incorrect then correct again.
Any ideas?
Does the latest paid for version fix this ?
Many thanks in advance

rgleason 01-07-2022 04:16

You do not have the right version for sure. You dont state what versuon number or where you got it. Android is supportrd elsewhere for paid version. .

markcouz 01-07-2022 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilesbernard (Post 3646863)
Hello folks

I've been using opencpn with great success on my Ubuntu laptop using the ships gps

I've recently installed opencpn on a couple of new android Samsung phones.. a52s model

The GPS location is regularly incorrect which results in the ships position jumping about as the GPS pos is incorrect then correct again.

Any ideas?

Does the latest paid for version fix this ?

Many thanks in advance

Make sure you are using a single source for GPS info, if you are broadcasting ships GPS on WiFi and also using Android built in GPS then you will find your position bouncing about.

mgrouch 07-07-2022 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by markcouz (Post 3647146)
Make sure you are using a single source for GPS info, if you are broadcasting ships GPS on WiFi and also using Android built in GPS then you will find your position bouncing about.

Isnít it what priorities of NMEA connections are for? Even with multiple GPS sources

RhythmDoctor 07-07-2022 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrouch (Post 3650352)
Isn’t it what priorities of NMEA connections are for? Even with multiple GPS sources

No, in my 12 years experience using OpenCPN, lower priority sources are not ignored. If you have multiple GPS sources, your ownship icon may bounce around. That's what the enable boxes are for. You need to un-check all but one of them. However, if multiple GPS sources is the cause of your problem, this may be an opportunity for you to identify which one is giving the erroneous reading. Enable one at a time and use ded. reckoning to determine which one is correct.

Hakan 07-07-2022 21:29

re: "Isnít it what priorities of NMEA connections are for? Even with multiple GPS sources"

Yes but the prioritization is done on NMEA0183 message level.

If $GPRMC is received from two connections and prioritization levels are used only the prioritized RMC message will be used.
But...
If for example $GPGGA is received only from one connection the position info from that GGA will always be used since there is nothing to prioritize.

So;
If RMC is received from both connection prio 1 and prio 2 only one will be used.
If GGA is received only from connection prio 1 also that position info will be used and the ship symbol will jump if the two positions are not equal.

If for example you get positions from both a satellite compass and a AIS transponder and they use different NMEA messages it's though possible to use the filter function.
Maybe receive only AIVDM from the AIS?

Randolf 16-07-2022 05:20

Hi, I am from Germany and I want to use Open CPN for the navigation on my sailing boat. I did the download on my new notebook, but the display was fasciated. Even with the cm93 charts it is still striped (?). I loaded the program again - the same thing.
what is wrong, what can I do to get a normal picture.

Sorry for my poor english, I only have my German scool English.

can somebody help me to solve the Problem?

with kind regards
Randolf from Berlin/Germany

bcn 16-07-2022 05:29

Some more information about your system? HW, SW, versions of OpenCPN?
Most probably an issue with the graphics driver.

Under "Optionen|Anzeige|erweitert" you will find the option to disable OpenGL. Please try that.

A screen shot attached showing the issue might help as well. To attach data use the "paperclip" (BŁroklammer) of the Reply window.

Hubert

Hakan 16-07-2022 05:37

Hi Randolf and welcome.
Some more info please:
What's the notebook; Win PC or anything else?
I suppose you have downloaded the recent version of OpenCPN, 5.6.2 here?
A screen shot may help.

If you're new to this forum a small hint:
Take a screen shot and save it to a file.
Click "Go Advanced" in the "Reply message"
Scroll down to and click "Manage Attachments"
Click "Browse" (In German?). Find your file and "Upload"