Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   OpenCPN General (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-general-30946.html)

JTeixeiraPOR 06-04-2021 10:28

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehani (Post 3381818)
Although it seems paradoxical, for the application you require, a USB-RS232 converter is more compatible than the USB-RS485 that you are using.
I will explain a little why: RS485 has the same signal levels as RS422 (NMEA0183 standard), and it is also a differential bus (S +, S-), but RS485 works in half-duplex, that is, they are sent and they receive data over the same physical line, but at different times. The RS422 uses separate pairs (I +, I- and O +, O-) to transmit and receive data.
RS232 has wider voltage ranges than these two above, but can be seamlessly connected to an RS422, as follows:
RS232 (Output data) --------------> RS422 (IN +)
RS232 (Ground) --------------> RS422 (IN-)
RS232 (Input data) <-------------- RS422 (OUT +)
Not connected --------------- RS422 (OUT-)

To connect the Seatalk, you will need a gateway (translator). There is neither electrical nor data format compatibility.

José Luis

Thank you José Luís! (Muchas gracias!?)

I will try the solution you suggest, once I also have, USB to RS232 converters.

However, today while keeping digging into possible causes on thousands of posts, blogues, etc., I found one possible cause - although I really do not understand it! - that may be the cause:
maybe the “user” I am on my raspberry do not belong to a group that is allowed to open serial connections!...... This group is normally “dialout” on Debian based Linuxes, including Ubuntu, and “uucp” on Red Hat based distributions.

......I will try this as well!.....

Thank you very much, anyway! I keep you informed!

Baikal 06-04-2021 18:47

Re: OpenCPN General
 
this season on CPN nothing new to improve functionality
sad!

stormalong 06-04-2021 19:18

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baikal (Post 3382369)
this season on CPN nothing new to improve functionality
sad!

Wow, complaining about fantastic, crowd sourced navigation software that is free for you to use. That is sad.

I for one am very grateful to have this available.

THANK YOU developers and everyone else that gives there time and expertise supporting OpenCPN.

Baikal 06-04-2021 20:13

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormalong (Post 3382389)
Wow, complaining about fantastic, crowd sourced navigation software that is free for you to use. That is sad.

I for one am very grateful to have this available.

THANK YOU developers and everyone else that gives there time and expertise supporting OpenCPN.

Undoubtedly, great respect to the developers!
I compare with previous years, at this time active testing of the new version of CPN began

rgleason 07-04-2021 04:11

Re: OpenCPN General
 
I have learned that functions and features are far less than 50% of the problems and goals that occupy programmers minds. It is actually a minor part.

Programmers are also concerned about positioning the software for the next changes in multiple os and charting a path to upgrade for those systems. Improving the code. Supporting multiple environments. Developing tools to make it easier to distribute to those environments.

There are better ways to establish the progress being made in software, and I am no expert, but I think OpenCPN is quite healthy and better positioned for the substantial software changes coming than before. There also is a large and talented crew working in the background on problems and things a user is unlikely to notice.

Features are really just the icing on the cake.

CarCode 07-04-2021 04:42

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason (Post 3382525)
I have learned that functions and features are far less than 50% of the problems and goals that occupy programmers minds. It is actually a minor part.

Programmers are also concerned about positioning the software for the next changes in multiple os and charting a path to upgrade for those systems. Improving the code. Supporting multiple environments. Developing tools to make it easier to distribute to those environments.

There are better ways to establish the progress being made in software, and I am no expert, but I think OpenCPN is quite healthy and better positioned for the substantial software changes coming than before. There also is a large and talented crew working in the background on problems and things a user is unlikely to notice.

Features are really just the icing on the cake.

I really hope your assumptions are correct. But it seems not so...

rgleason 07-04-2021 05:16

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Sailing Belachandra Videos about Raspberrry Pi and Opencpn


https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingBal...?query=opencpn

JTeixeiraPOR 08-04-2021 03:24

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTeixeiraPOR (Post 3382044)
Thank you José Luís! (Muchas gracias!?)

I will try the solution you suggest, once I also have, USB to RS232 converters.

However, today while keeping digging into possible causes on thousands of posts, blogues, etc., I found one possible cause - although I really do not understand it! - that may be the cause:
maybe the “user” I am on my raspberry do not belong to a group that is allowed to open serial connections!...... This group is normally “dialout” on Debian based Linuxes, including Ubuntu, and “uucp” on Red Hat based distributions.

......I will try this as well!.....

Thank you very much, anyway! I keep you informed!

UPDATE MY PROJECT STATUS:
Neither of the mentioned solution worked, however some small (but, for me HUGE!) progress!!!.....one small steep to any expert, one giant steep to me and my project!!!!
It seams the problem was with the dongles: I have bought other, much cheaper and simple, and now I can get AIS NMEA0183 info into the OCPN!!!!.....YES!!!!
Nothing regard the "user" credentials helped, and I did not had sucess, as well, with the dongle RS232 ti USB converter!....
The problem, now is import the NMEA0183 data from the plotter and/or from the SEATALK1 to get all the remaining relevant data, such as GPS, COG, WIND, DEPHT.....
Keep you informed, also for future reference to newbies like me! :-)

Keep sailing, keep smiling!

JT

JTeixeiraPOR 08-04-2021 03:34

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason (Post 3382559)
Sailing Belachandra Videos about Raspberrry Pi and Opencpn


https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingBal...?query=opencpn

I do not know yet if I love or hate them!...... eheheh!!!!

They inspired me to start my own project to improve my boat electronics, based on the same solution: Raspberry PI and OpenCPN.

I can not say that this is something easy - as it seams whatching those videos -, once I have some electronic bases - graduation back in 91!.... - and this are making me swet, once obliged me to review some concepts, and "burn" my eys readind tons of info, datasheets, etc... what a best way to overpass these COVID retention months, once we can not go out for sail!?!?
Best ragards,

JT

rgleason 08-04-2021 04:43

Re: OpenCPN General
 
JTeixeiraPOR

I empathize with your struggle. If you would keep a good record of what not to do and what you have done with the important details. We will provide a place for that experience in the wiki. I am not familiar with RPI myself unfortunately.

BluegillBoy 08-04-2021 08:20

Re: OpenCPN General
 
as far as the SeaTalk connection goes, as mentioned before it's incompatible. but my SeaTalk (Raymarine) plotter also has NMEA0183 input and output available. these weren't connected to anything in the original all SeaTalk setup, but the manual (available online for my older Raymarine unit) clearly identified the talker and listener wires by color. I hooked them up rather than the SeaTalk connections and SUCCESS!

JTeixeiraPOR 13-04-2021 07:19

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluegillBoy (Post 3383333)
as far as the SeaTalk connection goes, as mentioned before it's incompatible. but my SeaTalk (Raymarine) plotter also has NMEA0183 input and output available. these weren't connected to anything in the original all SeaTalk setup, but the manual (available online for my older Raymarine unit) clearly identified the talker and listener wires by color. I hooked them up rather than the SeaTalk connections and SUCCESS!

Yes BluegillBoy, that was my thought as well!....but, until now, I did not have success "reading" that info!

My old Raymarine RL70 plotter is supposed to convert the SEATALK1 data into the NMEA0183 output. My boat original setup is only using this output to the radio (to get/send the GPS position).

However, the first dongles I ordered to convert these RS422/485 into USB did not worked and, the second ones, much simplest, work ok but the raspberry did not accepted two with the same "ID", even when I set it up to recognise by port (did not try to put both with this setup!). So, as I add already configured one to get the NMEA0183 data from the AIS, I did not managed to get the info from the plotter!....

I will now try again to get the remaining important data (GPS, SOG, WIND, COG, etc....) directly from SEATALK1 trough the Raspberry GPIO!.....fingers crossed!!!

Thank you in advance,

João Teixeira

longjonsilver 17-05-2021 03:01

Re: OpenCPN General
 
Does OpenCPN support Aqua maps? i like how Aqua maps allows the use of raster charts, but i don't see an application for a Macbook Pro.
thanks
jon

bcn 17-05-2021 06:49

Re: OpenCPN General
 
No, Agua has their proprietary format.


OpenCPN does render raster. For example the US NOAA raster charts.
Via o-charts.org you can get raster charts for the Bahamas and the Caribbean (Explorer Charts Bahamas and Imray for the rest).


Hubert

longjonsilver 27-05-2021 09:39

Re: OpenCPN General
 
i don't know where to ask this so i am gonna post it here. i downloaded version 5.2.4 for my Mac and when i try to download charts it gives me this:

https://i.postimg.cc/yxmPNS8X/Screen...t-13-37-03.png

What am i doing wrong?

thanks


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.