Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Demasting of the Heart (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/demasting-of-the-heart-29198.html)

Stillraining 04-08-2009 17:28

Demasting of the Heart

3 Attachment(s)
Have you ever had that feeling a dark cloud was following just you and a select few others around....occasionally opening her skirt and wetting on your parade now and then.

Despite your best efforts to be prepaired with a good umbrella in hand or a bit of tin roof to duck under you still find yourself the loan soaked sap standing with hands in pockets, pipe in mouth upside down to keep it from filling to the brim...brimmed hat bent full turn down along sides of your head.... All the while scanning the horizon looking for a glimpse of some sympathetic eyes gazing from some distance off.... from someone basking in the sunlight while witnessing your plight and you hope their good fortune is passing your way some time very soon.

Yep I think we have all been there a few times to be sure..a
"Demasting of the Heart" I will call it for lack of a more appropriate or descriptive term.

Life has a way of turning your failures into successes and your successes into disappointment's to be sure..we can only bank on the former to mantain some semblance of sanity and good cheer.

My saga continues with my "land yacht"..and I am now well on past a full 2 1/2 years of ownership with only three sails under my belt on her decks...2 of thoes in my home waters....Im thinking on renaming her "Rain Cloud" ..

She is beautiful and she is a blast to sail but I am loosing my excitement in her all the same...I expect this feeling will all pass some day when "Rain Clouds" lift and sun and winds return to my face ... with taunt canvas pulling the water line closer and closer to the toe rail, tight lines reverberating and singing their work shanty song of strain and chanting squawks of defiant determination to hold fast that grip on winch and cleat.

Yes a "Demasting of the Heart" is a sorry state to find oneself in but there I now sit.... De-masted in more then just imaginary terms...And I dont even have a gallant story of near death survival at sea nor heroic actions of bravery and MacGyver invention and salvation to share at the bar...No my friends.... tonight I drink alone under my bit of Rain Cloud.

Bash 04-08-2009 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 313204)
All the while scanning the horizon looking for a glimpse of some sympathetic eyes gazing from some distance off.... from someone basking in the sunlight while witnessing your plight and you hope their good fortune is passing your way some time very soon.

Sympathetic eyes are, indeed, gazing.

ViribusUnitis 04-08-2009 20:14

The question is. What exactly happened?

And how did the mast get out of that hole????

Ex-Calif 04-08-2009 21:44

Attitude counts for a lot but the Gods of wind are cruel to everyone in their turn.

So sorry to hear of your dismasting.

My advice is to go rent a boat and go for a sail before taking any further action. Sailing is definitely therapeutic.

Islandmike 05-08-2009 01:20

Yes, I too am confused... What happened, how did the mast get out?

Pelagic 05-08-2009 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 313204)

Yes a "Demasting of the Heart" is a sorry state to find oneself in but there I now sit.... De-masted in more then just imaginary terms...And I dont even have a gallant story of near death survival at sea nor heroic actions of bravery and MacGyver invention and salvation to share at the bar...No my friends.... tonight I drink alone under my bit of Rain Cloud.

Fine!...enjoy the drinks.... but somewhere within that cloud...decide to get pissed off with yourself and tomorrow.... just go ahead and "fix it!" (in whatever manner you so choose)

Just think of the alternative...which is giving up on yourself

with apologies to the original:
A man's goal must be beyond his reach
...or what's a meta-phor?

CharlieCobra 05-08-2009 08:11

The yard did that to his boat. The same yard that made him wait forever to pull the mast and re-step it for some wiring work because they didn't have the time, pulled it and then decided to set it back to run and go do something for another boat. When they came back and hooked up again, the slings slipped and that happened.

Talbot 05-08-2009 08:17

Time to get a really competent surveyor involved, and the yard's insurance company.

Morgan Paul 05-08-2009 08:23

This sux !
Keep going man. This sounds like it was beyond your control.

Good luck

Paul

bluzzin 05-08-2009 09:12

Still, Sorry to hear of your troubles. An excellent Marine Surveyor is Erik Bentzen. He does work all over PNW and beyond.

Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction
Kind Regards
michael

Cheechako 05-08-2009 09:24

another good surveyor is Matt Harris of Reisner, McEwen and Harris. Bellingham. It sounds like you are a little down in the dumps, not only from this occurance but the amount of work and lack of sailing overall. You are not alone and this is very typical! This is an excellent example to those on this forum who are considering buying that fixer upper to go cruising... boat work is hard, depressing at times, always 3 times what you thought in money and time... I strongly advise anyone to buy the best they can that is useable NOW, even if that means going down in size, Realistically, all you get in giong from 36 ft to 42 ft is an extra bathroom!... and a alot more expense..

s/v Beth 05-08-2009 09:28

Stillraining-
Where are you in the Sound. Come up to Bellingham and meet Charile and myself. We should be able to get some therapy for you. :)

senormechanico 05-08-2009 09:34

I'm sorry for your loss.
I'd highly recommend Lynn Reister. She did the most thorough survey I've ever seen when we sold our previous boat.
I'm not affiliated, just very impressed with her work.
LodeStar Marine

Steve B.

imagine2frolic 05-08-2009 09:43

Damn SR,

It does seem like when it rains it pours, but this could be your silverlining without realizing it! They have insurance, and will have to make it right along with some compensation. It just takes time to get it sorted out. I am sure that time will be worth something. BEST WISHES in getting it resolved in a timely fashion with the advantage on your side.......i2f

CharlieCobra 05-08-2009 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by newt (Post 313500)
Stillraining-
Where are you in the Sound. Come up to Bellingham and meet Charile and myself. We should be able to get some therapy for you. :)

Hey Newt! Scott and I know each other. It's his woodshop that I get to use. Are you over at Squalicum? Ya sailing yet? Hell, I could use some sailing therapy m'self, considering Oh Joy's been feet dry for just about a year now.