Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Propellers & Drive Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Retractable Drive (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/retractable-drive-28462.html)

multihullsailor6 15-07-2009 11:31

Retractable Drive
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have noticed that Baltic Yachts is producing a Baltic 45 with a retractable drive system which, according to Yachting World, is called Retract drive.

Baltic's website does not give any details on this drive which could be of interest to many sailing boat owners and designers. Does anyone have more info on this drive?

donradcliffe 23-07-2009 23:42

I've seen one on a really high-end racer (Transpac 65)--the prop and shaft pivot up into the boat and a door fairs the hull. Looks like a lot of expense and maintenance, but if you have an all carbon boat and an all Kiwi crew....

GordMay 24-07-2009 05:04

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...n-10261-3.html

Dedzaboy 31-07-2009 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 308298)

This system still not launched and tested, now somewhat behind schedule...

imagine2frolic 31-07-2009 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedzaboy (Post 311329)
This system still not launched and tested, now somewhat behind schedule...

& possibly doubtful......i2f

Geoff Strebel 16-08-2009 11:07

What about propellers that can be pitched to cause less drag? Wouldn't that be much simpler?

Talbot 16-08-2009 11:12

sillette sonic is a retractible drive that works, and has been fitted to a lot of Prout catamarans

so are outboards!

David M 16-08-2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Strebel (Post 318109)
What about propellers that can be pitched to cause less drag? Wouldn't that be much simpler?

Props that feather themselves are quite common.

Geoff Strebel 16-08-2009 13:02

Quite right but those are kind of on/off aren't they? I'm looking for something that I can vary without stopping the boat. Applies to Lagoon hybrid.

pbr 13-11-2013 08:57

Re: Retractable Drive
 
Mcconaghy makes an all composite one, performance under power is increased due to better fixed prop spec, improved under sail due to no drag, and to my mind maintenance is greatly reduced due to no fouling and no potential for electrolysis.

perchance 20-11-2013 13:14

Re: Retractable Drive
 
Just for a bit of historical perspective this concept has been around since the 20's. There were small power boats built in Port Carling Ont. nicknamed the "Dippy" or "Dispro" for disappearing propeller boat.

valhalla360 20-11-2013 17:21

Re: Retractable Drive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Strebel (Post 318166)
Quite right but those are kind of on/off aren't they? I'm looking for something that I can vary without stopping the boat. Applies to Lagoon hybrid.

I can raise and lower the outboard will on the move (obviously the engine should be off while doing this). It has the side benefit of a more efficient fixed blade prop.

caradow 21-11-2013 09:34

Re: Retractable Drive
 
Currently Columbia Yachts is building their all carbon 32 footed with a retractable drive shaft and prop. It features the ability to raise and lower it by a simple block and tackle arrangement.
This system has been working remarkably well according to the new owners of this design. Simple to use, no vibration and fairly fail-safe.
I have personally operated one and it is pretty cool......at least on a 32 foot race boat
Simply check out their web site for more information.
ciao

belizesailor 21-11-2013 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by perchance (Post 1395950)
Just for a bit of historical perspective this concept has been around since the 20's. There were small power boats built in Port Carling Ont. nicknamed the "Dippy" or "Dispro" for disappearing propeller boat.

Earlier even, there was a Confederate privateer vessel during the US Civil war which had a lifting prop.

donradcliffe 21-11-2013 15:30

Re: Retractable Drive
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by caradow (Post 1396613)
Currently Columbia Yachts is building their all carbon 32 footed with a retractable drive shaft and prop. It features the ability to raise and lower it by a simple block and tackle arrangement.
This system has been working remarkably well according to the new owners of this design. Simple to use, no vibration and fairly fail-safe.
I have personally operated one and it is pretty cool......at least on a 32 foot race boat
Simply check out their web site for more information.
ciao

One of the new Columbia 32's went on the rocks a few hours after they lost their rudder. I gotta believe they must have tried to motor to weather and the arrangement wasn't up to it in 25 knots--one life lost.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.