Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Rope-to-chain Splice Hang-up (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/rope-to-chain-splice-hang-up-26228.html)

thinwater 12-05-2009 11:02

Rope-to-chain Splice Hang-up

I have a discontinued Lewmar windlass, like the v-700, but I think it said "spirit 500". It always jammed on occation. When I re-did the splice this year, I had to trim ~ 25' off of a fuzzy and, really, too long rode to get back to where the rope was closer to its true 1/2" diameter, though the rope still measures closer to 9/16." With a nice tight splice to 1/4" G4 chain it just goes down, if the tension is right and the planets align.
  • More chain, so I don't have to pass the splice as often? I only have 30', and goin to 65' would solve it, since I seldom anchor in more than 6-8' of water.
  • Smaller line? I think it is "nominal" 1/2 3-strand, which is right for my boat (8500 pound cat).
  • A different sort of splice, other than a back-splice?
  • I don't want to use a shovel splice. I don't want to use a 2-strand splice - too weak.
I even staggered and tapered the splice tails; when it hangs-up, it is long before it gets to the head of the splice.

forsailbyowner 12-05-2009 11:26

Lewmar manual says to use a medium loose splice. Also when you go thru link take center strand through opposite direction.

thinwater 12-05-2009 11:33

Yup, agreed. Did that. It is still a very close fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forsailbyowner (Post 282276)
Lewmar manual says to use a medium loose splice. Also when you go thru link take center strand through opposite direction.

In fact, if the splice is more than a bit loose, it simply won't go through the hole, not even held in my fingers.

The gypsy also seems a bit worn, though it handles the chain well.

forsailbyowner 12-05-2009 11:35

Some more of lewmars splice directions. Do four tucks then cut half strands, do two more tucks. The cut strands and termination should be melted to even with outside face of rode. Then whipped in place with needle and thread. Recently installed v3 and haven't had any problems after following their directions.

thinwater 12-05-2009 12:10

Yes, just like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forsailbyowner (Post 282280)
Some more of lewmars splice directions. Do four tucks then cut half strands, do two more tucks. The cut strands and termination should be melted to even with outside face of rode. Then whipped in place with needle and thread. Recently installed v3 and haven't had any problems after following their directions.

Perhaps they have changed the size?

forsailbyowner 12-05-2009 13:01

Did you do complete install? I was surprised at the large size of the cutout for the rode 3”. I had hangup first run through and sanded and rounded edge of hole and its gone through since.

thinwater 12-05-2009 17:26

No, that is not the issue, though it is a good point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forsailbyowner (Post 282309)
Did you do complete install? I was surprised at the large size of the cutout for the rode 3. I had hangup first run through and sanded and rounded edge of hole and its gone through since.

It hangs up before it gets that far, going between the stripper and the guide arm, though I will double check when I am there next.