Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning: Food & Drink (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/)
-   -   What is this button on my force 10? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/what-is-this-button-on-my-force-10-a-259969.html)

Gilligan8 16-01-2022 08:38

What is this button on my force 10?

1 Attachment(s)
So I was investigating the lack of insulation and possible solutions when I saw this spring loaded button and working bits that seemed to do nothing on the side of the door (right to the right of the handle).

What does this do and how does it work?

Feels like a door lock but I can't seem to make it engage in any positive way.

Attached picture (which looks like it uploaded sideways}

Tsuru 16-01-2022 09:08

Re: What is this button on my force 10?

As I recall it's the gimbal lock. The crossbar lifts to unlock and open the oven door and this button disconnects the gimbal allowing the unit to heel with the boat.
Iíll confirm during a boat visit this afternoon.

Calif.Ted 16-01-2022 09:41

Tsuru is correct, gimbal lock, lever controls horizontal rod that engages small hole in cabinet side.

Gilligan8 16-01-2022 12:23

1 Attachment(s)
Negative Ghost Rider

This is the gimbal lock.

And this picture is upside down.. I keep getting better at this!

Jim Cate 16-01-2022 12:37

On our F-10 three burner that button must be pushed before you can operate the oven door handle and open the door.

Jim

Gilligan8 16-01-2022 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 3555937)
On our F-10 three burner that button must be pushed before you can operate the oven door handle and open the door.

Jim

That's what I kind of assumed but mine must be broken or "modified".

JPA Cate 16-01-2022 12:47

@Gilligan8,

Fwiw, on ours, you have to push it in all the way, about 3/4" before you can open the oven door handle. If you're stopping only 3/8" in, you haven't pushed the button home far enough to release the handle.

Of course, it is also possible something is wrong in there.

Ann

Dave Lochner 16-01-2022 13:05

Its a door lock. Push down on the handle to engage the lock. Push the pin in to disengage it.

sail sfbay 16-01-2022 13:13

Gimble lock.

Dave Lochner 16-01-2022 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail sfbay (Post 3555956)
Gimble lock.

No. The gimble lock is at the bottom of the stove on either side. It is lever that slides the locking pin into a hole.

Dooglas 16-01-2022 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPA Cate (Post 3555945)
@Gilligan8,

Fwiw, on ours, you have to push it in all the way, about 3/4" before you can open the oven door handle. If you're stopping only 3/8" in, you haven't pushed the button home far enough to release the handle.

Good idea. I once dropped a hot tuna fish casserole upside down on my feet by not locking the gimble before setting it on the oven door. :frown:

Jim Cate 16-01-2022 14:36

^^^^

Once again: the button in question is NOT the gimbal lock. It releases the oven door handle so that you can depress the handle and open the oven door. On the F-10 designs, when you open the oven door it goes through a clever articulation and slides under the oven, completely out of the way... thus one can not set anything down on it.

Jim

Gilligan8 16-01-2022 15:03

I don't have to press anything to open my door.

This button doesn't engage anything at the moment.

We have a bar right in front of the stove so it's unlikely any one would accidentally open the stove so I'm good with it but working as it should.

waterman46 16-01-2022 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligan8 (Post 3556030)
I don't have to press anything to open my door.

This button doesn't engage anything at the moment.

We have a bar right in front of the stove so it's unlikely any one would accidentally open the stove so I'm good with it but working as it should.

If you don't lock the door by rotating the big handle bar downward then yes, you won't need to press the unlock button to open the door.

You might find the lock useful at times.

If you grab both ends of the bar with the door closed, you can rotate the bar downwards to engage the door lock.

On the 2 burner stove anyway the gimbal lock is a lever at very bottom below the door.

henryk 16-01-2022 20:15

And that gimble lock on the bottom is a piece of crap. Mine fell of and I installed a very solid SS latch on each side