Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Pre Made Panels That Can Stand Up to Engines Pushing Them? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/pre-made-panels-that-can-stand-up-to-engines-pushing-them-258648.html)

Chotu 07-12-2021 09:40

Re: Pre Made Panels That Can Stand Up to Engines Pushing Them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 3533488)
Well now that we see what you're doing...

Don't over think it.

Half inch aluminum is your best bet, all bolted together with ss bolts.

Use inch and a half (or whatever your inner slide channel dimension is) black UHMW blocks for the 'bearings', routed or tablesawn out to fit the half inch plate, secured to the plate with countersunk ss bolts.

Use 3 or 4 inch channel for the standoff, again bolted to half inch plate to mount the motor on.

If you're worried about stiffness, bolt a piece of 1/4 X 2 X 2 angle across the bottom of the plate, or cut a piece of the UHMW bar to mount vertically in the center of the 'slider' plate to take the thrust (providing the hull is strong enough there; an aluminum angle mounted inside should provide plenty of stiffness if not...)

https://www.amazon.com/Black-UHMW-Po.../dp/B084H1JK7T
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...dard/pid/14600

1/2 al plate 272.00

3/8 al plate (almost certainly sufficient) 227.00

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...1aluminumplate

If you look around you'll probably be able to find the plastic and aluminum cheaper locally.

Black in the sketch is UHMW bar, grey is aluminum.

You’re right!

Thank you for bringing the aluminum back into focus.

I have been working through aluminum myself and it seems to be the way to go.

The big issue is those C channel stand-off pieces. The plate the outboard grabs on to in your drawing is parallel to the plate in the slide.

In real life the outboard looks like this, because transoms are angled on Jon boats and whatnot. Any ideas on how to do that channel standoff part with a large standoff and an angle?

I think I’m a little rusty figuring stuff out or my meds have me stupid.

The part the outboard grabs is at quite an angle and quite a stand off distance from the perfectly vertical slide to account for all the controls that come out of the front of an outboard.

So the sliding plate is perfectly vertical and the outboards grabbing plate is at the angle shown in this pic and about a foot from the sliding plate.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...3_gmg&usqp=CAU

Sand crab 07-12-2021 09:58

Just wondering if you could mount a standard outboard mounting bracket. They make them for a 30 HP and some are electric assist. They even have a a bracket for mounting to a swim step. Lots of brands and models.
https://panthermarineproducts.com/ou...otor-brackets/

jimbunyard 07-12-2021 10:09

1 Attachment(s)
There should be some 'trim' adjustment that allows you to alter the angle of the motor.

If you need more 'standoff', and channel wide enough isn't available to accomodate it, and/or if the trim adjusment is insufficient, an angled channel' can be made with a couple of pieces of 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch angle and a piece of 3/8 plate cut to the needed dimension.

Of course a welder could also do the same thing with a slightly lighter weight, but more expense. And the possibility of broken welds.

Plus I like the modularity and ability to replace or change components without 'exotic' procedures like welding.

Cheechako 07-12-2021 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benz (Post 3533263)
My homemade outboard bracket is exactly this, only smaller: 1/4" aluminum plate sandwiched between 1/2" Starboard. I'd scale it up without any qualms.
It's worked perfect for 10+years.

That's the thing.... the devil is always in the detail on these type of projects. It's easy to say "Starboard is not a structural material!" And yes, dont use it to build a full transom on a boat. Dont build a plank hull with it. Use it as a backing plate under a winch? Sure. ...... details, details.

Chotu 07-12-2021 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 3533546)
There should be some 'trim' adjustment that allows you to alter the angle of the motor.

If you need more 'standoff', and channel wide enough isn't available to accomodate it, and/or if the trim adjusment is insufficient, an angled channel' can be made with a couple of pieces of 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch angle and a piece of 3/8 plate cut to the needed dimension.

Of course a welder could also do the same thing with a slightly lighter weight, but more expense. And the possibility of broken welds.

Plus I like the modularity and ability to replace or change components without 'exotic' procedures like welding.

Well, damn. You solved the whole thing.

What is it you are drawing these in? Fantastic illustrations.

I also agree very much with what you said. I prefer to book things together as well. Itís nice to be able to take them apart and fix them if need be. I think you may have solved the whole thing. Time for me to start ordering materials and getting to work. Thank you very much.

jimbunyard 07-12-2021 11:41

Glad to help, hope you get it worked out.

Sketches are done on the 'Paint' app supplied with Windows.

Also, though the angled plate shown in the second drawing is on the 'inside', for the most strength and rigidity, it should be on the outside, or, more accurately, depending on in whichever position you choose to mount the 2 X angles, the angled plate should butt right up against the slide plate and the engine mount plate...

Given what I know about the application, I'd mount the angle on the slide plate on the outside, and the angle on the engine plate on the inside.

iansan5653 07-12-2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rslifkin (Post 3532948)
G10 is out because you wouldn't be able to drill it safely.

What's wrong with drilling G10? I'm not trying to make a statement on whether it's strong enough to be a transom, but I have never heard it's unsafe to drill...how would you use it for anything then?

Sailmonkey 07-12-2021 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iansan5653 (Post 3533578)
What's wrong with drilling G10? I'm not trying to make a statement on whether it's strong enough to be a transom, but I have never heard it's unsafe to drill...how would you use it for anything then?

Itís safe to drill for most peopleÖ..but those with a severe allergic reaction to epoxy are unable to do anything with it.

rslifkin 07-12-2021 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iansan5653 (Post 3533578)

It's fine for most of us to cut and drill, but G10 is epoxy based, so with Chotu's epoxy allergy, the dust would be a serious concern.

iansan5653 07-12-2021 11:59

Oh, duh. Thanks :)

Chotu 09-12-2021 14:04

Question.

Is 1/2” plate overkill?

The suppliers I’ve contacted can’t even cut the stuff. Is 1/4 inch more appropriate?

The slides the plate moves in are 1/4” themselves.

Also, is T6061-T6 the best aluminum for this job? It’s all I’ve used elsewhere.

Chotu 09-12-2021 15:16

All of a sudden, I’m looking at the same dimensions, but doing it lighter, hopefully cheaper pre-made polyester non-cored glass panels.

Cheechako 09-12-2021 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotu (Post 3534689)
Question.

Is 1/2” plate overkill?

The suppliers I’ve contacted can’t even cut the stuff. Is 1/4 inch more appropriate?

The slides the plate moves in are 1/4” themselves.

Also, is T6061-T6 the best aluminum for this job? It’s all I’ve used elsewhere.

Cant cut 1/2" Aluminum? Who are you dealing with? Most metal shops would shear it to size from plate. Are they shearing it? They probably aren't used to dealing with thicker stuff maybe, more a sheet metal place?
You can cut it on your table saw with a carbide blade. (not one pass unless you have a herky saw)

T4, T6 etc are fine. Your requirement is stiffness. It's the same for either.

Chotu 09-12-2021 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 3534736)
Cant cut 1/2" Aluminum? Who are you dealing with? Most metal shops would shear it to size from plate. Are they shearing it? They probably aren't used to dealing with thicker stuff maybe, more a sheet metal place?
You can cut it on your table saw with a carbide blade. (not one pass unless you have a herky saw)

T4, T6 etc are fine. Your requirement is stiffness. It's the same for either.

Metalsupermarkets. I’ve ordered stuff from them before and they say they can deliver metal with cuts. Trying to save time.

But I’m really leaning toward the 1/2” GRP plate and channel so it’s way easier to work with (drill) and can’t corrode or react with the stainless hardware.

It’s lighter weight too.

Sos 10-12-2021 02:43

If you do go the Aluminium route, I would think about getting all the parts Polyester Powder coated before bolting together. Eliminates bi-metallic corrosion and it looks nice :smile: